Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX NIM NFS file system cannot unmount Post 302746819 by MichaelFelt on Thursday 20th of December 2012 04:29:18 AM
Old 12-20-2012
I am guessing you are running a
Code:
nim -o define -t mksysb ...

command to perform these backups and it is the client that is not able to unmount.

To debug - you could start with using rpcinfo -p <NIM> | grep nfs to see if the nfs demons are recognized.

The other question I would have is whethr this client has more than one IP address and/or nim route back to the nim server. If it is, the way I debugged the interface being used by default is the telnet/ssh to the nim server (use the <NIM> name as hostname, and then after login, use the command "who" to show which IP address/hostname is recognized as originating IP address.

Compare these values to what a "working" client returns.

My gut feeling, if I read corrently it is the same client that fails, is that there is a configuration difference between this client and the one that succeed.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

UNMOUNT a windows file system

Hi, I try to unmount : smbumount /mnt/directory But I receive : Could not umount /mnt/directory: Device or resource busy Any idea ? Many thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
4 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Is it possible to re-export a exported NFS file system?

Hi... Is it possible to re-export a exported NFS file system? If no, Why? Let me know, if any further details are required about the question. Thanks in advance Adams:) (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Adams Nave
5 Replies

3. AIX

Cannot access NFS file system

I create a NFS file system. I can read this system from client, however, I cannot write anything in this folder. Why? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rainbow_bean
1 Replies

4. AIX

How to export AIX File system NFS to Windows ?

Hello, Can someone please point to an easy document or steps how to export AIX file system /whatever to Windows O/S Basically Windows should see this filesystem / directory and should be able to write in this filesystem / directory Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
2 Replies

5. AIX

changing values for nfs shared file system on aix

Hi, I want to change the values for shared file system in aix for that I have run the command smitty chnfsexp but I am not getting the all the values which I have seen while adding the file system while exporting example smitty chnfsexp but after selecting shared file system using F4... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to check whether file system is local or NFS?

Hi, suppose I have file system path say /foo/bar/baz then how would I find out whether it is local file system or NFS? If it is NFS then I want to find out the host where file system is located. Thanks, Paresh (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: masaniparesh
5 Replies

7. AIX

For NIM: NFS file system problem

hello, i am trying to export a file system so that i can mount it on NIM server and make mksysb backup of the server on that fs. i get this message: mount: 1831-011 access denied for s_semdev:/dr_s_zeus/mksysb/dr_s_zeus mount: 1831-008 giving up on: s_semdev:/dr_s_zeus/mksysb/dr_s_zeus ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: omonoiatis9
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What happens if i unmount local file system when is mounted to a different server?

Hi, as title says what happens if i unmount local file system when is mounted to a diffrent server ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: galuzan
2 Replies

9. AIX

Write once on NFS file system

Hello Guru's We are trying to save some data for 10 -15 yrs. so we created a NFS share file system and mounted on AIX 5.3 servers, keeping in mind that we might need to replace the expired disk/bad disk every 2 yrs or 4 yrs. Now we are trying to solve. How to protect it from getting deleted... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Beginner123
6 Replies

10. AIX

Unable to mount previously-working NFS share from NIM to LPAR

Right, now that I've finally worked out this website, I'll ask my question! I am having an absolute nightmare with NFS on AIX. I have used it many times, and I know what I'm doing, however I cannot fathom what is going on here. I have 2 LPARs, sitting on the same physical host. They are... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: tmooredba
12 Replies
nfs(7)							 Miscellaneous Information Manual						    nfs(7)

NAME
nfs, NFS - network file system DESCRIPTION
The Network File System (NFS) allows a client node to perform transparent file access over the network. By using NFS, a client node oper- ates on files residing on a variety of servers and server architectures, and across a variety of operating systems. File access calls on the client (such as read requests) are converted to NFS protocol requests and sent to the server system over the network. The server receives the request, performs the actual file system operation, and sends a response back to the client. NFS operates in a stateless manner using remote procedure calls (RPC) built on top of an external data representation (XDR) protocol. The RPC protocol enables version and authentication parameters to be exchanged for security over the network. A server grants access to a specific file system to clients by adding an entry for that file system to the server's file. A client gains access to that file system using the command to request a file handle for the file system (see mount(1M)). (A file handle is the means by which NFS identifies remote files.) Once a client mounts the file system, the server issues a file handle to the client for each file (or directory) the client accesses. If the file is removed on the server side, the file handle becomes stale (dissociated with a known file), and the server returns an error with set to A server can also be a client with respect to file systems it has mounted over the network; however, its clients cannot directly access those file systems. If a client attempts to mount a file system for which the server is an NFS client, the server returns with set to The client must mount the file system directly from the server on which the file system resides. The user ID and group ID mappings must be the same between client and server. However, the server maps UID 0 (the superuser) to UID -2 before performing access checks for a client. This process prevents gaining superuser privileges on remote file systems. RETURN VALUE
Generally, physical disk I/O errors detected at the server are returned to the client for action. If the server is down or inaccessible, the client receives the message: where is the hostname of the NFS server. The client continues resending the request until it receives an acknowledgement from the server. Therefore, the server can crash or power down, and come back up without any special action required by the client. The client process requesting the I/O will block, but remains sensitive to signals (unless mounted with the option) until the server recovers. However, if mounted with the option, the client process returns an error instead of waiting indefinitely. AUTHOR
was developed by Sun Microsystems, Inc. SEE ALSO
exportfs(1M), share(1M), mount(1M), mount_nfs(1M), nfsd(1M), mount(2), fstab(4), dfstab(4). nfs(7)