Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Reformatting Column into rows Post 302746285 by kieranfoley on Wednesday 19th of December 2012 04:43:54 AM
Old 12-19-2012
Thank you very much guys. These posts have been extremely helpful. They all work!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

column to rows based on another column...

Guys, i have a file in below format where the barcode's are uniq per site but could be repeated for different site. so i want to convert the site column to rows based on the barcode's as below output. your help is appreciated!!! input: SITE BARCODE QTY SP CP 10001 6281103890017 10 50 48... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: malcomex999
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to sum rows in e.g. column 1 by a category in e.g. column 2

Hi, I've shown an example of what I would like to achieve below. In the example file, I would like to sum the values in column 2 for each distinct category in column 3 (presumably making an array?) and print the sum as well as the category name and length (note:length always corresponds with... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: auburn
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rows to Column

I have a tab delimited file like this: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 I want it to look like: 1 7 13 2 8 14 3 9 15 4 10 16 5 11 17 6 12 18 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: theawknewbie
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reformatting single column text file starting new line when finding particular string

Hi, I have a single colum file and I need to reformat the file so that it creates a new line every time it come to an IP address and the following lines are corresponding rows until it comes to the next IP address. I want to turn this 172.xx.xx.xx gwpusprdrp02_pv seinwnprd03... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kieranfoley
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Converting column to rows for every 3 lines in the column

Hi gurus! Please help me with this one. I have an file with the following contents: a b c d e f g h i j I would like to make to transform it to look like this as my output file: a,b,c d,e,f (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kokoro
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to print only selected rows in a particular column specified by column name

Dear All, I have a data file input.csv like below. (Only five column shown here for example.) Data1,StepNo,Data2,Data3,Data4 2,1,3,4,5 3,1,5,6,7 3,2,4,5,6 5,3,5,5,6 From this I want the below output Data1,StepNo,Data2,Data3,Data4 2,1,3,4,5 3,1,5,6,7 where the second column... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ks_reddy
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

merging rows into new file based on rows and first column

I have 2 files, file01= 7 columns, row unknown (but few) file02= 7 columns, row unknown (but many) now I want to create an output with the first field that is shared in both of them and then subtract the results from the rest of the fields and print there e.g. file 01 James|0|50|25|10|50|30... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: A-V
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Deleting all rows where the first column equals the second column

Hi, I have a tab delimited text file where the first two columns equal numbers. I want to delete all rows where the value in the first column equals the second column. How do I go about doing that? Thanks! Input: 1 1 ABC DEF 2 2 IJK LMN 1 2 ZYX OPW Output: 1 2 ZYX OPW (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting Single Column into Multiple rows, but with strings to specific tab column

Dear fellows, I need your help. I'm trying to write a script to convert a single column into multiple rows. But it need to recognize the beginning of the string and set it to its specific Column number. Each Line (loop) begins with digit (RANGE). At this moment it's kind of working, but it... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: AK47
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help reformatting column

Hello UNIX experts, I'm stumped finding a method to reformat a column. Input file is a two column tab-delimited file. Essentially, for every term that appears in column 2, I would like to summarize whether that term appears for every entry in column 1. In other words, make a header for each term... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: torchij
2 Replies
PSIGNAL(9)						   BSD Kernel Developer's Manual						PSIGNAL(9)

NAME
psignal, pgsignal, gsignal -- post signal to a process or process group SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/signalvar.h> void psignal(struct proc *p, int signum); void pgsignal(struct pgrp *pgrp, int signum, int checkctty); void gsignal(int pgid, int signum); DESCRIPTION
These functions post a signal to one or more processes. The argument signum common to all three functions should be in the range [1-NSIG]. The psignal() function posts signal number signum to the process represented by the process structure p. With a few exceptions noted below, the target process signal disposition is updated and is marked as runnable, so further handling of the signal is done in the context of the target process after a context switch. Note that psignal() does not by itself cause a context switch to happen. The target process is not marked as runnable in the following cases: o The target process is sleeping uninterruptibly. The signal will be noticed when the process returns from the system call or trap. o The target process is currently ignoring the signal. o If a stop signal is sent to a sleeping process that takes the default action (see sigaction(2)), the process is stopped without awakening it. o SIGCONT restarts a stopped process (or puts them back to sleep) regardless of the signal action (e.g., blocked or ignored). If the target process is being traced psignal() behaves as if the target process were taking the default action for signum. This allows the tracing process to be notified of the signal. The pgsignal() function posts signal number signum to each member of the process group described by pgrp. If checkctty is non-zero, the sig- nal will be posted only to processes that have a controlling terminal. pgsignal() is implemented by walking along the process list headed by the field pg_members of the process group structure pointed at by pgrp and calling psignal() as appropriate. If pgrp is NULL no action is taken. The gsignal() function posts signal number signum to each member of the process group identified by the group id pgid. gsignal() first finds the group structure associated with pgid, then invokes pgsignal() with the argument checkctty set to zero. If pgid is zero no action is taken. SEE ALSO
sigaction(2), signal(9), tsleep(9) BSD
June 22, 1996 BSD