Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Replace trailing whitespaces with pipe symbol using perl Post 302732549 by Don Cragun on Sunday 18th of November 2012 11:20:46 AM
Old 11-18-2012
PLEASE USE CODE TAGS! The only trailing space that is visible in your 1st message is a space after the the last start and you haven't replaced it with a | character in the expected output.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove verticalbar or pipe symbol

hi guys i have 6000 rows column the text in the column has the symbol vertical bar |. i tried some of the commands to remove it but none of the commands are reconzng this symbol. would u plz help to remove this symbol from the text with any kind of unix command u r help would be appreciated ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: bogu0001
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem while concating PIPE symbol with a file

Hi Gurus, I had a problem writing a pipe file. Previously i used this code to generate a tab seperated file ABCEF := ABCEF || 'to_char('|| abc_tab(col_num).col_name || ') chr(9) || '; Now i want the o/p as pipe seperated file.I changed the line as below ABCEF := ABCEF ||... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pssandeep
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace nulls with whitespaces in a file

Hi, i have a file which contains data in fixed length. each row contains data of 10 characters fixed length. The data in the file appears like 4567782882 some times i may recieve dat less than fixed length of 10. in such a case i find nulls appended at the trailing spaces when i do a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: meeragiri
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL - Compare 2 strings, excluding whitespaces

I am creating a script to compare definitions and declarations of functions in C code, and report if the arguments are different. So I need to compare the 2 strings (args of both), how can I do that? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bojomojo
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove whitespace after pipe symbol but not inside words

I have a file that looks like this: 102| #2 X 1/4-INCH| 30188| EA| FTW| A| NOT SERIAL TRACKING| NOT LOT TRACKING| TRUE| #2 X 1/4-INCH 102| #2 X 1/4-INCH| 30188| EA| VPS| A| NOT SERIAL TRACKING| NOT LOT TRACKING| TRUE| #2 X 1/4-INCH 102| #6 X 1/2"| ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: djehresmann
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Separate letters and replace whitespaces

Input file: aaaa bbb dd. qqq wwww e. Output file: a a a a <s> b b b <s> d d . q q q <s> w w w w <s> e . Can I use sed to do so in one step? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Viernes
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Broken pipe symbol replaced with <A6><A6>

hi, i am copying an xml file from windows to linux server using filezilla&winscp. xml file contains ¦¦ symbols, after copying xml file to server ¦¦ is replaced with <A6><A6>. tried with copying xml files from windows in ascii&binary but no luck. please suggest. thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Satyak
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove pipe(|) symbol ina file, except the ones which are enclosed in double quotes

I have file with are delimited by pipe(|) symbol, I wanted those to be removed except the ones which are enclosed in double quotes. If your quote file is: |Life is |Beautiful"|"Indeed life |is beautiful too|"|"But unix is fun| is not"|" It should return: Life is Beautiful"|"Indeed life is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sathyapts
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove pipe(|) symbol in except the ones which are enclosed in double quotes

I have file with are delimited by pipe(|) symbol, I wanted those to be removed except the ones which are enclosed in double quotes. If your quote file is: |Life is |Beautiful"|"Indeed life |is beautiful too|"|"But unix is fun| is not"|" It should return: Life is Beautiful"|"Indeed life is... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sathyapts
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace the first and last character which is pipe symbol in all files within a folder?

with in my files i have the data like this, starting with a pipe and ending the line with a pipe. all i want is to replace the first and last pipe , remove those trying to use following sed command, but it is only showing on the screen the entire data of the file as if it removed, but when i... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cplusplus1
4 Replies
gencat(1)						      General Commands Manual							 gencat(1)

NAME
gencat - generate a formatted message catalog file SYNOPSIS
catfile msgfile ... DESCRIPTION
Message catalogs allow a program to process input and produce output according to local customs and languages. For details, see The command merges each message source msgfile into a formatted message catalog catfile that can be accessed by (see catgets(3C)). If cat- file does not exist, it is created. If catfile exists, its messages are included in the new catfile. If set and message numbers collide, the new message text in file replaces the old message text in catfile. A msgfile consists of message, directive, and comment lines (all without leading spaces or tabs) described below. Except as noted, fields are separated by one or more space or tab characters. If is specified as catalog file, standard output is used. If is specified for an instance of message file, standard input is used. A directive specifies the set s, of the messages that follow until the next or end-of-file appears. The set number s is an unsigned integer in the range 1 through Any string following the set number is treated as a comment. If a directive is not specified, messages are put in the default set Set numbers must be in ascending order within a msgfile but need not be contiguous. A directive deletes the message set identified by the set number s, from an existing message catalog. Any string following the set number is treated as a comment. m message_text A message line specifies a message number m, and associated message text. The message number m is an unsigned integer in the range 1 through The message_text is a C string, including spaces, tabs and (back- slash) escapes, but by default without surrounding quotes (see directive below). The message number m is separated from the message_text by a single space or tab character. The message_text begins with the first character following the separator and ends at new-line. Extra spaces or tabs (including any trailing spaces or tabs) are considered part of the message_text. The message_text of a message line is stored in catfile with message number m and set number s specified by the most recent directive. Message numbers must be in ascending order within a set, but need not be contiguous. Note that the space or tab separator distinguishes insertion of a null message from deletion of a message. If a message line has a number and separator but no text, the message number and an associated null message string are stored in catfile. If a message line has a number but neither separator nor text, the message number and its associated message text are deleted from catfile. If the option is specified, the length of message_text must be no more than - 1 bytes. If the option is not speci- fied, the length of message_text must be no more than bytes. See catgets(3C), for message length limits imposed by these routines. A directive specifies a quote character q, used to surround message_text and make leading and trailing space visible in a message line. Any string following the specified quote character q is treated as a comment. By default, or if a quote character q not is supplied, quoting of message_text is not recognized. A followed by a space or tab is treated as a comment and can appear anywhere in a file. A line consisting of zero or more spaces or tabs is treated as a comment line. and are defined in is defined in is defined in EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
Environment Variables provides a default value for the internationalization variables that are unset or null. If is unset or null, the default value of "C" (see lang(5)) is used. If any of the internationalization variables contains an invalid setting, will behave as if all internationalization variables are set to "C". See environ(5). if set to a non-empty string value, overrides the values of all of the other internationalization variables. determines the interpretation of text as single and/or multi-byte characters, the classification of characters as printable, and the char- acters matched by character class expressions in regular expressions. determines the locale that should be used to affect the format and contents of diagnostic messages written to standard error and informa- tive messages written to standard output. determines the location of message catalogs for the processing of International Code Set Support Single- and multi-byte character code sets are supported. WARNINGS
The directive is not currently supported on the HP MPE and RTE operating systems. AUTHOR
was developed by HP and the X/Open Company, Ltd. SEE ALSO
dumpmsg(1), findmsg(1), insertmsg(1), catgets(3C), catopen(3C). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
gencat(1)