Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Need help how to create a file (xml) list all files from directory Post 302715373 by spacebar on Sunday 14th of October 2012 07:40:24 PM
Old 10-14-2012
Yep I ran the statements from the command line, Try this since your running it as a shell script:
Code:
dir1="dir1"
dir2="dir2"
echo "<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>" >xml_file.xml
echo "<Karaoke>" >>xml_file.xml
IFS=$'\n'
for x in `ls -1 ${dir1}/* ${dir2}/*`
do
  file=`echo ${x} | sed 's/.*\/\|.*\///g'`
  dir=`echo ${x} | sed 's/\/.*//g'`
  echo "<item name= \"${file}\" id=\"1\">/$dir/$file</item>" >>xml_file.xml
done
echo "</Karaoke>" >>xml_file.xml

Last edited by fpmurphy; 10-15-2012 at 11:09 AM.. Reason: removed color and font directives
This User Gave Thanks to spacebar For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parse an XML task list to create each task.xml file

I have an task definition listing xml file that contains a list of tasks such as <TASKLIST <TASK definition="Completion date" id="Taskname1" Some other <CODE name="Code12" <Parameter pname="Dog" input="5.6" units="feet" etc /Parameter> <Parameter... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MissI
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

create diffrent files based on other file and parameters list

I would like ot create shell script/ bash to create diffrent files based on a file and parameters list. Here is the detail example: I have a textfile and four static parameter files (having ‘?'). mainfile.txt has below records (this count may be more than 50) A200001 A200101 B200001... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghav525
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to create multiple list of files in a directory ?

Hi, i have say 100 files in a directory. file1.log file2.log file3.log file4.log file5.log file6.log ... ... ... file99.log file100.log ========= I need to create another file which contains the list of al these log files. each file should contain only 10 log file names. it shud... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: robinbannis
4 Replies

4. Programming

help need in the perl script that create one xml file form multiple files.

Hi every one, Please excuse me if any grammatical mistakes is there. I have multiple xml files in one directory, I need to create multiple XML files into one XML file.example files like this</p> file1:bvr.xml ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: veerubiji
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create empty files from a list on file

Hello Guys. Please I would like to create empty files from a list In file1 will be the followin values, so i will like to create for each name a empty file. file1 2191off-r0.sps 2192off-r0.sps 2193off-r0.sps 2194off-r0.sps 2195off-r0.sps So I need to get 5 empty files. Thanks for... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jiam912
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract strings from XML files and create a new XML

Hello everybody, I have a double mission with some XML files, which is pretty challenging for my actual beginner UNIX knowledge. I need to extract some strings from multiple XML files and create a new XML file with the searched strings.. The original XML files contain the source code for... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: milano.churchil
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

List files with date, create directory, move to the created directory

Hi all, i have a folder, with tons of files containing as following, on /my/folder/jobs/ some_name_2016-01-17-22-38-58_some name_0_0.zip.done some_name_2016-01-17-22-40-30_some name_0_0.zip.done some_name_2016-01-17-22-48-50_some name_0_0.zip.done and these can be lots of similar files,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: charli1
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to create a summary file of all files in a directory sorted in reverse alphabetical order.?

I have an interactive script which works terrific at processing a folder of unsorted files into new directories. I am wondering how I could modify my script so that( upon execution) it provides an additional labelled summary file on my desktop that lists all of the files in each directory that... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Braveheart
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create one xml file from one list of names

Actually I have one list of channels names like: Rai 1 Rai 1 +1HD Rai 1 +2HD Rai 2 Rai 2 +1HD Rai 2 +2HD . . . .From this list of names I need create one new xml file with this structure <channel id="Rai 1"> <display-name lang="it">Rai 1</display-name> <icon... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tapiocapioca
3 Replies
SYNCTREE(1)						      General Commands Manual						       SYNCTREE(1)

NAME
synctree - synchronize directory trees. SYNOPSIS
synctree [-iuf] [[user1@]machine1:]dir1 [[user2@]machine2:]dir2 DESCRIPTION
Synctree synchronizes the directory tree rooted at dir2 with dir1. It walks recursively through both trees, and deletes and adds files in dir2 to make it equal to dir1. Mode, owner and group are set for each file unless the -u flag is given. In its normal mode of operation, synctree will ask if it may delete or add directories assuming that you don't want to. Non-directories are simply deleted or added, but synctree will ask if it needs to update a normal file with a default answer of 'y'. Simply typing return will choose the default answer, typing end-of-file is like typing return to this question and all other questions. You can specify a hostname and user-id to be used to access dir1 or dir2. Synctree will use rsh(1) to run a copy of itself on the remote machine. The call interface mimics that of rcp(1), but you can use more than one user@machine prefix if you want to make things really interesting. Hard links are enforced, an update is done by first deleting the old file so that links to unknown files are broken. Links to files within dir2 will be restored. If either directory contains the file .backup, then this file will be used as an alternate inode table. This allows one to make a backup copy of a file tree full of special files and differing user-ids on a remote machine under an unpriviledged user-id. OPTIONS
-i Ask for permission (with default answer 'n') to delete or add any file or directory. -u Only install newer files, i.e. merge the directory trees. -f Don't ask, think 'yes' on any question. SEE ALSO
remsync(1), cpdir(1), rsh(1), rcp(1), perror(3). DIAGNOSTICS
Messages may come from three different processes. One named "Slave" running in dir1, one named "Master" running in dir2, and synctree itself in a mediator role. The mediator will also perform the task of either the master or the slave if one of them is running locally. You need to know this to interpret the error messages coming from one of these processes. The messages are normally based on perror(3). Failure to contact a remote machine will be reported by rsh. Synctree should have a zero exit status if no errors have been encountered. BUGS
Directory dir2 will be created without asking. The master and slave processes get their error output mixed up sometimes (nice puzzle). The local and remote machine must use the same file type encoding. The link replacement strategy may lead to lack of space on a small device. Let synctree run to completion and then rerun it to pick up the pieces. Letting the local process keep its "synctree" name may be a mistake. It talks too much. AUTHOR
Kees J. Bot, (kjb@cs.vu.nl) SYNCTREE(1)