Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: linux sort command
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions linux sort command Post 302708555 by bartus11 on Monday 1st of October 2012 06:15:45 PM
Old 10-01-2012
To pipe the output to another file:
Code:
awk '{print $2}' filename | sort | uniq | while read last_name; do awk -vn=$last_name '$2==n' filename | sort -k1; done > first_last

This User Gave Thanks to bartus11 For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linux Sort command

Hello! Can anybody explain in laymen terms what the (+) option in the sort command for Linux does? Please. Thanks in advance!!:D (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: itisijayare
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Sort Floating Numbers Using the Sort Command?

Hi to all. I'm trying to sort this with the Unix command sort. user1:12345678:3.5:2.5:8:1:2:3 user2:12345679:4.5:3.5:8:1:3:2 user3:12345687:5.5:2.5:6:1:3:2 user4:12345670:5.5:2.5:5:3:2:1 user5:12345671:2.5:5.5:7:2:3:1 I need to get this: user3:12345687:5.5:2.5:6:1:3:2... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: daniel.gbaena
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

difference in unix vs. linux sort

Hi, I am using some codes that have been ported from unix to linux, and now the sorting no longer results in the desired ordering. I'm hoping to find a way to mimic the unix sort command in linux. The input file is structured the following: $> cat file.txt... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aj.schaeffer
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

linux sort command produces strange output

cat a .a ba .b bb .c bc sort a .a .b ba bb bc .c NOTE: .a and .b appears before ba and bb, where as .c appears after bc. In general (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajb
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is it Possible to sort a list of hexadecimal numbers using "sort" command?

Hello Everybody :) !!!. i have question in mind, is it possible to sort a list of hexadecimal numbers using "sort" command? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kesavan
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help to sort out... Possible use of sort command

I have an input like 4.3.6.66 4.3.6.67 4.3.6.70 4.3.6.25 4.3.6.15 4.3.6.54 4.3.6.44 4.3.6.34 4.3.6.24 4.3.6.14 4.3.6.53 4.3.6.43 4.3.6.49 4.3.6.33 4.3.6.52 4.3.6.19 4.3.6.58 4.3.6.42 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dnam9917
5 Replies

7. Linux

sort command in centos linux os

Iam working on centos os. Iam not able to sort records without option Please help me out Jayaprakash B. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jpachar
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

LINUX SORT command chops results

I am trying to sort a file . The file looks like this: DDFF 2 /ztpfrepos/pgr/load DDFQ 2 /ztpfrepos/pgr/load DDFX 2 /ztpfrepos/pgr/load DDUA 2 /ztpfrepos/pgr/load My command: sort -k1 /home/c153507/Bin/OPL1.txt -o /home/c153507/Bin/OPL1.txt The results are OK except for one line where... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yahalom
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with sort in Linux

Hi everyone, I have a text file with this following format: w m a c G + V b y + d f e t I'd like to sort it to a file with the following format (same number of lines, same number of fields, but all fields are sorted alphabetically) G V a b c + d e f + m t w y I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: roseriver
7 Replies
set_color(1)							       fish							      set_color(1)

NAME
set_color - set_color - set the terminal color set_color - set the terminal color Synopsis set_color [-v --version] [-h --help] [-b --background COLOR] [COLOR] Description Change the foreground and/or background color of the terminal. COLOR is one of black, red, green, brown, yellow, blue, magenta, purple, cyan, white and normal. o -b, --background Set the background color o -c, --print-colors Prints a list of all valid color names o -h, --help Display help message and exit o -o, --bold Set bold or extra bright mode o -u, --underline Set underlined mode o -v, --version Display version and exit Calling set_color normal will set the terminal color to whatever is the default color of the terminal. Some terminals use the --bold escape sequence to switch to a brighter color set. On such terminals, set_color white will result in a grey font color, while set_color --bold white will result in a white font color. Not all terminal emulators support all these features. This is not a bug in set_color but a missing feature in the terminal emulator. set_color uses the terminfo database to look up how to change terminal colors on whatever terminal is in use. Some systems have old and incomplete terminfo databases, and may lack color information for terminals that support it. Download and install the latest version of ncurses and recompile fish against it in order to fix this issue. Version 1.23.1 Sun Jan 8 2012 set_color(1)