Sponsored Content
Special Forums IP Networking Talk Not Working over LAN or on one computer Post 302697861 by Benji Wiebe on Friday 7th of September 2012 01:45:48 PM
Old 09-07-2012
What is the equivalent?

BTW, I was using ntalk.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Talk not working

Hi, I am trying talk but it isn't working. I tried talk ip terminal talk ip:terminal First it says: Then after 2 seconds I have checked the mesg status: Its y I am not getting any invitation on the other machine. Thanks in Advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vibhor_agarwali
1 Replies

2. Solaris

How to configure private LAN and coporate LAN on the same machine-Solaris10

Hi , I am trying to configure a private LAN and corporate LAN on the same machien on Solaris 10. How can I achieve this? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: deedee
1 Replies

3. Infrastructure Monitoring

google talk notification on Nagios is not working

Hi i have installed Nagios 3.0.6 on Centos 5.2 also to configure it i have installed Centreon, my problem is the following , i have created a user for Nagios on google talk and using an script from the web trying to send notification for host status and services. i have tested the script using... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pokker67
0 Replies

4. IP Networking

Local Lan, no-ip directed DNS forward, surf within lan

Hi, We have a website running on a local centos 5.4 surfer, static IP. The domain.com uses no-ip.com to take care of the DNS, it forwards all to my server. My router receives the port 80 call, routes it to my server and the world can see domain.com perfectly fine. However, we cannot see... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lawstudent
3 Replies

5. Red Hat

Different hostnames with reboot while lan cable, no lan cable

I am facing strange problem regarding hostname on my Linux(2.6.18-164.el5xen x86_64 GNU/Linux), the hostname changes if reboot with lan cable and with NO lan cable Reboot with lan cable: The hostname is ubunut Unable to connect Oracle database using sqlplus some times database is not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LinuxLearner
2 Replies

6. Ubuntu

Ubuntu 10.10 LAN connection stopped working...

Well this is weird. I restarted my dual boot Win7/Ubuntu 10.10 from ubuntu to windows. Everything was working fine and windows is always connecting properly to my lan. After restarting back into Ubuntu, all of a sudden I can't connect to my network. It looks as if its trying to connect through... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: zixzix01
15 Replies

7. Hardware

Atheros AR8151 LAN not working

Hi Everyone, First time here on Unix.com forums. I've been trying to install Nexenta on a new server machine that I built. The MotherBoard is a Gigabit GA-G41MT-S2P and the LAN chip is an AR8151. I understand that the AR8151 isn't natively supported by the Solaris kernel, but I'm wondering if... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cbstryker
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

KVM: can't access VM from another computer in same LAN.

DELETE (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: morrison71
0 Replies

9. What is on Your Mind?

The C64 is back, this time full-sized with a working keyboard for the dedicated retro home-computer

Retro Games has announced that the C64 is back, this time full-sized with a working keyboard for the dedicated retro home-computer fan, available December 2019. See also: CNN: Iconic 80s computer The Commodore 64 to return with fully-functional keyboard YouTube: The C64 | Trailer ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
2 Replies
inetd.conf(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual						     inetd.conf(4)

NAME
inetd.conf, inetd.conf.local - The default configuration files for the inetd daemon SYNOPSIS
The default configuration file for all cluster members is: /etc/inetd.conf The configuration file for a specific member in a cluster is: /etc/inetd.conf.local The inetd.conf.local file is a Context-Dependent Symbolic Link (CDSL) and must be maintained as such. See the System Administration manual for more information. DESCRIPTION
If the inetd daemon is started without specifying an alternate configuration file, the inetd daemon reads the inetd.conf file and inetd.conf.local file, in this order, for information on how to handle Internet service requests. For this reason, if an entry exists in both configuration files, the entry in /etc/inetd.conf.local overrides the entry in /etc/inetd.conf. The inetd daemon reads its configuration files only when the inetd daemon starts or when the inetd daemon receives a SIGHUP signal. Each line in theinetd configuration files defines how to handle one Internet service request. Each line is of the form: ServiceName SocketType ProtocolName Wait/NoWait UserName ServerPath ServerArgs (Note: The backslash and the continuation of information on to a second line is for display purposes only. In the configuration file, the entries appear on a single line.) These fields must be separated by spaces or tabs. Continuation lines are terminated with a (backslash). Comments are denoted with a # (number sign). The fields have the following meanings: Specifies the name of an Internet service defined in the /etc/services file. For services provided internally by the inetd daemon, this name must be the official name of the service. That is, the name must be identical to the first entry on the line that describes the service in the /etc/services file. Specifies the name for the type of socket used for the service. You can use either the stream value for a stream socket, the dgram value for a datagram socket, the raw value for a raw socket, the rdm value for a reliably delivered message socket, or the seqpacket value for a sequenced packet socket. You can also use xstream and xdgram to permit the transparent mode of connections for stream and datagram sockets, respectively. Currently, only applica- tion gateways for firewall services use the transparent mode of connection. Specifies the name of an Internet protocol defined in the /etc/protocols file. For example, use the tcp value for a service that uses the TCP/IP protocol and the udp value for a service that uses the UDP protocol. When you use a tcp or udp value, inetd creates AF_INET sockets; this is the default behavior. If you want inetd to create AF_INET6 sockets, use the tcp6 or udp6 value. The inetd daemon maps these values to the tcp and udp protocol names internally. For RPC services the field consists of the string rpc followed by a slash (/) and one of the following: An asterisk (*) One or more nettypes One or more netids A combination of nettypes and netids If you specify an invalid nettype, it is treated as a netid. For example, if you specify rpc/*, it specifies the service uses all the transports supported by the system. Contains either the wait or the nowait instruction. For datagram servers, specify wait. This instructs the inetd daemon to wait for a datagram server to read at least one datagram from the socket before exiting. Single- threaded datagram servers process all incoming datagrams, then they time out (for example, comsat, biff, and talkd). Multithreaded datagram servers read one datagram from the socket, create a new socket, then fork and exit (for example, tftpd). For servers using stream sockets, specify nowait for multithreaded servers. This instructs inetd to accept connection requests and pass a newly accepted socket that is connected to the client of the service to the server. Specify wait for single-threaded servers. This instructs inetd to pass the listening socket to the server and wait. The server must accept at least one connection request before exiting. Specifies the username that the inetd daemon should use to start the server. This variable allows a server to be given less permission than root. Specifies the full pathname of the server that the inetd daemon should execute to provide the service. For services that the inetd daemon provides internally, this field should be internal. If you want to disable this service, this field should be disable in the /etc/inetd.conf.local file. Specifies the command line arguments that the inetd daemon is to pass to the server specified in ServerPath. The arguments to ServerPath should be just as they normally are, starting with the name of the program. For services that the inetd daemon provides internally, this field should be blank. EXAMPLES
The following are sample entries in the /etc/inetd.conf file for an inetd daemon that: Uses the ftpd daemon for servicing ftp requests on an AF_INET6 socket Uses the talkd daemon for ntalk requests on an AF_INET socket Provides time requests internally on AF_INET6 sockets ftp stream tcp6 nowait root /usr/sbin/ftpd ftpd ntalk dgram udp wait root /usr/sbin/talkd talkd time stream tcp6 nowait root internal time dgram udp6 wait root internal How you enable and disable services in a cluster depends on the number of cluster members. The following two examples show the same clus- ter that has three members (0, 1, and 2), but shows two diferent methods to accomplish the same goal. Choose the method most suitable to your cluster environment. If you want to enable the ftpd daemon on all cluster members except member 2, do the following: To enable the ftpd daemon for all members, enter the following in the /etc/inetd.conf file: ftp stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/ftpd ftpd To disable the ftpd daemon for member 2, enter the following in the /etc/inetd.conf.local for member 2: ftp stream tcp nowait root disable If you want to disable the ftpd daemon on all cluster members (the whole cluster), but enable it on members 0 and 1, do the following: To disable the ftpd daemon by default for the whole cluster, enter the following in the /etc/inetd.conf file: #ftp stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/ftpd ftpd To enable the ftpd daemon for member 0, enter the following in the /etc/inetd.conf.local file for member 0: ftp stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/ftpd ftpd To enable the ftpd daemon for member 1, enter the following in the /etc/inetd.conf.local file for mem- ber 1: ftp stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/ftpd ftpd Member 2 does not have an ftpd entry in its /etc/inetd.conf.local file. Therefore, the ftpd daemon is not started. RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: biff(1), comsat(8). Daemons: inetd(8), talkd(8), tftpd(8). Files: protocols(4), services(4). delim off inetd.conf(4)