Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Slackware X terminal: Redirecting remote sound to my local audio device Post 302653425 by Peasant on Saturday 9th of June 2012 12:23:02 AM
Old 06-09-2012
Check out pulseaudio.
PulseAudio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for more information.

Setup a local pulseaudio server, and remote machine will be the client.
Of course, application will need to be able to use pulseaudio.

For instance, with mplayer there is a -ao pulseoption.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

redirecting one terminal into an other??

Hi guys; I want to show what am I doing on a terminal into another. I did something close but its not working really good. Example: cat /dev/pts/12 >/dev/pts/13 where 12 is my terminal and 13 its the other terminal. This is usefull for me to share my small unix knowledge to other people... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: piltrafa
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sound card and audio song

Hello, How can i install the sound card on solaris 9.00 and also, how can i play MP3 and audio songs on solaris.... pls provide me the complete steps.... thnks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: taurian1234
4 Replies

3. Linux

No Sound [Sigmatel C-Major Audio] :: Fedora 7

I've been fighting for a few days now with trying to get my soundcard to recognize. I am currently using a Latitude D630 with Sigmatel C-Major Audio using the Intel ICH8 Family. My problem appears to be that the computer cannot detect a sound card but it was only able to install default drivers... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: grid-lyn
0 Replies

4. Linux

Non exclusive sound device access!!

Hi, I was wondering if any of you guys know of way to make applications that use sound device on linux to access it in a "non-exclusive manner", the aim is to be able to use more than one application that requires the sound device. Thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: andryk
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting output to a local file after sshing

ssh $USR@$host /bin/bash <<EOF awk ' BEGIN{f=0} !f { s=$0; sub(/,.+/, "", s); gsub(//, " ", s); t=(systime()-mktime(s)); if(t<=14400) f=1 } f ' /home/error.log >> error.txt EOFWe are trying to connect to a remote server through ssh and read values from error.log within last 4 hours.However, the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deepthz
3 Replies

6. Programming

Redirecting Terminal to Local Application!

i wanted to execute some terminal commands on local linux, parse their output and display it to the user, i checked netcat source code but i couldnt understance it since im new to c (and linux at the same time). so i was wondering if there is away to run an instance of terminal hidden, read and... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: JonhyM
15 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Sound Device

hi all i have a problem that if i use something like firefox it will grab the sound device and not release it, so i can not use skype is there a command to see what is using the audio device i am using Fedora thaks Adam (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ab52
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirecting the terminal to file

Hi, I want to save the whole Output of the terminal in a file. I dont want to redirect a single command to a file (ls -l > test.txt), I want to redirect the whole last 40 lines into a file. Maybe i can read out the terminal while working with it, but i cant find a way to save the whole... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: niratschi
2 Replies

9. Hardware

No sound device in Solaris 11 running in Parallels (MacBook Pro)

I'm new to Solaris. I was able to installed Solaris 11 running GNOME. I tried to detect sound/audio but the message given that "No volume control GStreamer plugins and/or devices found". There is no dev/audio but there are audio drivers such as gstreamer installed when I checked using Solaris... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Abang Annuar
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting terminal to variable

when i do something like this: bona=$(echo hi2 > /dev/pts/1 ; printf '%s\n' "" | sed '/^$/d') i get: hi2 and the $bona variable is empty, when I run: echo ${bona} i get the result "hi2" outside of the variable. I want it stored in the bona variable with nothing outputted to the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
6 Replies
PAVUMETER(1)															      PAVUMETER(1)

NAME
pavumeter - A volume meter for the PulseAudio sound server SYNOPSIS
pavumeter [OPTION...] [<sink>|--record <source>] DESCRIPTION
Displays a live volume meter of a PulseAudio source or sink. OPTIONS
<sink> The PulseAudio sink device to monitor. If <sink> is not specified, the default output sink is used. --record <source> Show Recording Levels. <source> is the PulseAudio source device to monitor. If <source> is not specified, the default input source is used. --display=DISPLAY Specify the X display to use. -h, --help Show a summary of options. --help-all Show all available options. --help-gtk Show standard gtk options. SEE ALSO
pulseaudio(1), pavucontrol(1), padevchooser(1) RESOURCES
Homepage: http://0pointer.de/lennart/projects/pavumeter/ PulseAudio web site: http://pulseaudio.org/ AUTHOR
Written by Lennart Poettering <mzihzrgre@0pointer.de> DOCUMENTATION
Documentation by CJ van den Berg <cj@vdbonline.com>. COPYING
Copyright (C) 2004-2006 Lennart Poettering. Free use of this software is granted under the terms of the GNU General Public License (GPL). 07/15/2012 PAVUMETER(1)