Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Restricting a Find search to the current directory only Post 302639069 by daveu7 on Friday 11th of May 2012 07:12:02 AM
Old 05-11-2012
Restricting a Find search to the current directory only

Hi All,

I am trying to delete file (with a mtime older than 2 days) from the current directory ONLY using:

Code:
find . -daystart -maxdepth 1 -mtime 2 -exec rm {} \;

but this doesn't seem to work it is still find files in subdirectories which I don't want to delete.

Please can anyone offer any advise about the use of the -maxdepth or do I need to use mindepth.

The man dialogue on the Find command states the following - what exactly does the phrase to the command line arguments mean ?

Man Find states:

Code:
 -maxdepth levels
              Descend at most levels (a non-negative integer) levels of directories below the command line arguments.  -maxdepth 0
               means only apply the tests and actions to the command line arguments.

-mindepth levels
              Do not apply any tests or actions at levels less than levels (a non-negative integer).  -mindepth 1 means process all files  except  the
              command line arguments.

Many thanks for your help

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 05-11-2012 at 08:15 AM.. Reason: code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find directory not including current

Using Solaris 8, I've forgotten how to exclude the current directory in the find results. find . -type d ! -name "*.CAP" I want every directory that does not match the *.CAP pattern, except the current directory. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dangral
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Question about Restricting Search path of FIND to current directory

Hi, By default FIND command searches for matching files in all the subdirectories within the specified path. Is there a way to restrict FIND command's search path to only the specified directory and NOT TO scan its subdirectories. Any help would be more than appreciated. Thanks and Regards (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: super_duper_guy
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to stop to current directory using find

Hello, I just want to ask the following use of find command: 1. how can I find files only to the current directory? 2. how can I find files to directories and all subdiretories (are this include soft links?) but will not go to other mountpoints that is under that mountpoint. Im combining... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: james_falco
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Restrict my search to current directory.

Hi every1, There is a folder with .lst files which has email id's of our project group. I want to find files which has my email id starting with sachin but i dont want find command to search subdirectories. I have read about prune but i didnt understand that. I am pretty new in this field.... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sachin.gangadha
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

non recursive search in the current directory only

Hi, Am trying for a script which should delete more than 15 days older files in my current directory.Am using the below piece of code: "find /tmp -type f -name "pattern" -mtime +15 -exec /usr/bin/ls -altr {} \;" "find /tmp -type f -name "pattern" -mtime +15 -exec /usr/bin/rm -f {} \;" ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: puppala
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Restricting zip to current directory only

I am using the following command in a C shell script: find . -name "*.*" -print | zip $ProjectZipFile -@ to zip files in a Unix (Sun and/or Linux) directory for archiving purposes. This command works fine, the only problem being that if sub-directories are present, they are included in... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: phudgens
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find command to look for current directory only

i have this find command on my script as: for i in `find $vdir -name "$vfile" -mtime +$pday` the problem with this code is that the sub-directories are included on the search. how do i restrict the search to confine only on the current directory and ignore the sub-directories. please advise.... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: wtolentino
7 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

C Program to search and read all named pipes in current directory

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Write a C program to search the current directory for all pipes. 1. It will print the pipe... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: natwickley
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to restrict Find only search the current directory?

hello, all I have googled internet, read the man page of Find, searched this forum, but still could not figure out how. My current directory is: little@wenwen:~$ pwd /home/little little@wenwen:~$ I want to use find command to list the files in my current directory, how should i write... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: littlewenwen
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search: find current line, then search back

Hello. I want to find a line that has "new = 0" in it, then search back based on field $4 () in the current line, and find the first line that has field $4 and "last fetch" Grep or Awk preferred. Here is what the data looks like: 2013-12-12 12:10:30,117 TRACE last fetch: Thu Dec 12... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: JimBurns
7 Replies
File::Find::Rule(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				     File::Find::Rule(3pm)

NAME
File::Find::Rule - Alternative interface to File::Find SYNOPSIS
use File::Find::Rule; # find all the subdirectories of a given directory my @subdirs = File::Find::Rule->directory->in( $directory ); # find all the .pm files in @INC my @files = File::Find::Rule->file() ->name( '*.pm' ) ->in( @INC ); # as above, but without method chaining my $rule = File::Find::Rule->new; $rule->file; $rule->name( '*.pm' ); my @files = $rule->in( @INC ); DESCRIPTION
File::Find::Rule is a friendlier interface to File::Find. It allows you to build rules which specify the desired files and directories. METHODS
"new" A constructor. You need not invoke "new" manually unless you wish to, as each of the rule-making methods will auto-create a suitable object if called as class methods. Matching Rules "name( @patterns )" Specifies names that should match. May be globs or regular expressions. $set->name( '*.mp3', '*.ogg' ); # mp3s or oggs $set->name( qr/.(mp3|ogg)$/ ); # the same as a regex $set->name( 'foo.bar' ); # just things named foo.bar -X tests Synonyms are provided for each of the -X tests. See "-X" in perlfunc for details. None of these methods take arguments. Test | Method Test | Method ------|------------- ------|---------------- -r | readable -R | r_readable -w | writeable -W | r_writeable -w | writable -W | r_writable -x | executable -X | r_executable -o | owned -O | r_owned | | -e | exists -f | file -z | empty -d | directory -s | nonempty -l | symlink | -p | fifo -u | setuid -S | socket -g | setgid -b | block -k | sticky -c | character | -t | tty -M | modified | -A | accessed -T | ascii -C | changed -B | binary Though some tests are fairly meaningless as binary flags ("modified", "accessed", "changed"), they have been included for completeness. # find nonempty files $rule->file, ->nonempty; stat tests The following "stat" based methods are provided: "dev", "ino", "mode", "nlink", "uid", "gid", "rdev", "size", "atime", "mtime", "ctime", "blksize", and "blocks". See "stat" in perlfunc for details. Each of these can take a number of targets, which will follow Number::Compare semantics. $rule->size( 7 ); # exactly 7 $rule->size( ">7Ki" ); # larger than 7 * 1024 * 1024 bytes $rule->size( ">=7" ) ->size( "<=90" ); # between 7 and 90, inclusive $rule->size( 7, 9, 42 ); # 7, 9 or 42 "any( @rules )" "or( @rules )" Allows shortcircuiting boolean evaluation as an alternative to the default and-like nature of combined rules. "any" and "or" are interchangeable. # find avis, movs, things over 200M and empty files $rule->any( File::Find::Rule->name( '*.avi', '*.mov' ), File::Find::Rule->size( '>200M' ), File::Find::Rule->file->empty, ); "none( @rules )" "not( @rules )" Negates a rule. (The inverse of "any".) "none" and "not" are interchangeable. # files that aren't 8.3 safe $rule->file ->not( $rule->new->name( qr/^[^.]{1,8}(.[^.]{0,3})?$/ ) ); "prune" Traverse no further. This rule always matches. "discard" Don't keep this file. This rule always matches. "exec( &subroutine( $shortname, $path, $fullname ) )" Allows user-defined rules. Your subroutine will be invoked with $_ set to the current short name, and with parameters of the name, the path you're in, and the full relative filename. Return a true value if your rule matched. # get things with long names $rules->exec( sub { length > 20 } ); "grep( @specifiers )" Opens a file and tests it each line at a time. For each line it evaluates each of the specifiers, stopping at the first successful match. A specifier may be a regular expression or a subroutine. The subroutine will be invoked with the same parameters as an ->exec subroutine. It is possible to provide a set of negative specifiers by enclosing them in anonymous arrays. Should a negative specifier match the iteration is aborted and the clause is failed. For example: $rule->grep( qr/^#!.*perl/, [ sub { 1 } ] ); Is a passing clause if the first line of a file looks like a perl shebang line. "maxdepth( $level )" Descend at most $level (a non-negative integer) levels of directories below the starting point. May be invoked many times per rule, but only the most recent value is used. "mindepth( $level )" Do not apply any tests at levels less than $level (a non-negative integer). "extras( \%extras )" Specifies extra values to pass through to "File::File::find" as part of the options hash. For example this allows you to specify following of symlinks like so: my $rule = File::Find::Rule->extras({ follow => 1 }); May be invoked many times per rule, but only the most recent value is used. "relative" Trim the leading portion of any path found "not_*" Negated version of the rule. An effective shortand related to ! in the procedural interface. $foo->not_name('*.pl'); $foo->not( $foo->new->name('*.pl' ) ); Query Methods "in( @directories )" Evaluates the rule, returns a list of paths to matching files and directories. "start( @directories )" Starts a find across the specified directories. Matching items may then be queried using "match". This allows you to use a rule as an iterator. my $rule = File::Find::Rule->file->name("*.jpeg")->start( "/web" ); while ( defined ( my $image = $rule->match ) ) { ... } "match" Returns the next file which matches, false if there are no more. Extensions Extension modules are available from CPAN in the File::Find::Rule namespace. In order to use these extensions either use them directly: use File::Find::Rule::ImageSize; use File::Find::Rule::MMagic; # now your rules can use the clauses supplied by the ImageSize and # MMagic extension or, specify that File::Find::Rule should load them for you: use File::Find::Rule qw( :ImageSize :MMagic ); For notes on implementing your own extensions, consult File::Find::Rule::Extending Further examples Finding perl scripts my $finder = File::Find::Rule->or ( File::Find::Rule->name( '*.pl' ), File::Find::Rule->exec( sub { if (open my $fh, $_) { my $shebang = <$fh>; close $fh; return $shebang =~ /^#!.*perl/; } return 0; } ), ); Based upon this message http://use.perl.org/comments.pl?sid=7052&cid=10842 ignore CVS directories my $rule = File::Find::Rule->new; $rule->or($rule->new ->directory ->name('CVS') ->prune ->discard, $rule->new); Note here the use of a null rule. Null rules match anything they see, so the effect is to match (and discard) directories called 'CVS' or to match anything. TWO FOR THE PRICE OF ONE
File::Find::Rule also gives you a procedural interface. This is documented in File::Find::Rule::Procedural EXPORTS
"find", "rule" TAINT MODE INTERACTION
As of 0.32 File::Find::Rule doesn't capture the current working directory in a taint-unsafe manner. File::Find itself still does operations that the taint system will flag as insecure but you can use the "extras" feature to ask File::Find to internally "untaint" file paths with a regex like so: my $rule = File::Find::Rule->extras({ untaint => 1 }); Please consult File::Find's documentation for "untaint", "untaint_pattern", and "untaint_skip" for more information. BUGS
The code makes use of the "our" keyword and as such requires perl version 5.6.0 or newer. Currently it isn't possible to remove a clause from a rule object. If this becomes a significant issue it will be addressed. AUTHOR
Richard Clamp <richardc@unixbeard.net> with input gained from this use.perl discussion: http://use.perl.org/~richardc/journal/6467 Additional proofreading and input provided by Kake, Greg McCarroll, and Andy Lester andy@petdance.com. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2002, 2003, 2004, 2006, 2009, 2011 Richard Clamp. All Rights Reserved. This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. SEE ALSO
File::Find, Text::Glob, Number::Compare, find(1) If you want to know about the procedural interface, see File::Find::Rule::Procedural, and if you have an idea for a neat extension File::Find::Rule::Extending perl v5.12.4 2011-09-20 File::Find::Rule(3pm)