Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Increment a variable in unix bash Post 302629165 by amrutha0303 on Tuesday 24th of April 2012 11:28:41 AM
Old 04-24-2012
Hello there,

Thanks both for the quick reply. I tried using (( C +=1 )) and it kept throwing a syntax error at me. I was just not sure why.

I am curious though. Functions like
Code:
$(( ls - l ))

as well doesnt work for me. It keep throwing the syntax error saying `(' unexpected whenever i use something like that.

Help is appreciated.

Thanks.
-A

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

increment a Variable

hi, i want to increment a Variable but it doesnt work. here my codé COUNT=1 COUNT= 'expr $COUNT + 1' i've tried it in the prompt but it print me: expr: syntaxerror What does I make wrong? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cengiz
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Increment of a variable

Hi All, I have a variable n that stores a number. Eg. echo $n comes out to be 120. I need to print 121 using echo command on n. Please advice. Thanks in advance !! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: learning_skills
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

bash script to increment a digit in filename

Hi guys, Can someone help me out with this: I have a directory with files like the following, GHost++ 2010-03-14 04-01 DotaCash RD us_ca LC #7 (44m19s).w3g GHost++ 2010-03-14 04-06 DotaCash AP us_ca LC #8 (42m24s).w3g GHost++ 2010-03-14 04-07 DotaCash AR us_ca LC #10 (08m23s).w3g ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hbjlee17
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable increment (of some sort)

i have a variable that has more than one value. i am declaring another variable, which will have the old variable data one by one. i want to use the second variable to hold the track of all the variable it has parsed from the first one. can somebody help me how do i declare and use the second... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gopajitmalakar
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash 4.0 increment variable

Hi there everyone! This is my first post so be gentle. I have a small bash script that is extracting 3 line every 3 lines. I got the AWK part but i cant do the loop part. #!/bin/bash export line=`awk 'END { print NR }' btnew` echo $line for i in {1..$line..3} #increment do echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: theodorosGreece
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to increment a string variable?

Hi All, I am new to this forum and a novice at shell script. I am trying to write a script to determine each of the NIC configured on a linux system and its speed and Duplex. I came up with the following piece of code: echo `ifconfig -a | grep eth > /home/a/nic.txt` i=`awk -F, '{print... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pravin883
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] How to increment and add variable length numbers to a variable in a loop?

Hi All, I have a file which has hundred of records with fixed number of fields. In each record there is set of 8 characters which represent the duration of that activity. I want to sum up the duration present in all the records for a report. The problem is the duration changes per record so I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: danish0909
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash counter increment not working

Hi all, I'm using Bash 4.3.8 on an Ubuntu system, and no matter what I try, incrementing a counter won't work. The simplest example would be something like this: #!/bin/bash myVar=0 myVar=$((myVar++)) echo myVar The variable should be 1, but it's always 0. I've tried every increment... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zel2008
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Increment date variable

hey guys, I need to incerement the date variable for instance echo `date '+%F %H:%M:00'` this produces 2014-08-02 20:05:00 -I will grant this to : $Datehour and need to assign 1 hr from now to $Datelasthour -the script time will be used to talk to DB system information. however... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mo_VERTICASQL
4 Replies
Bio::Root::Root(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				      Bio::Root::Root(3pm)

NAME
Bio::Root::Root - Hash-based implementation of Bio::Root::RootI SYNOPSIS
# Any Bioperl-compliant object is a RootI compliant object # Here's how to throw and catch an exception using the eval-based syntax. $obj->throw("This is an exception"); eval { $obj->throw("This is catching an exception"); }; if( $@ ) { print "Caught exception"; } else { print "no exception"; } # Alternatively, using the new typed exception syntax in the throw() call: $obj->throw( -class => 'Bio::Root::BadParameter', -text => "Can not open file $file", -value => $file ); # Want to see debug() outputs for this object my $obj = Bio::Object->new(-verbose=>1); my $obj = Bio::Object->new(%args); $obj->verbose(2); # Print debug messages which honour current verbosity setting $obj->debug("Boring output only to be seen if verbose > 0 "); DESCRIPTION
This is a hashref-based implementation of the Bio::Root::RootI interface. Most Bioperl objects should inherit from this. See the documentation for Bio::Root::RootI for most of the methods implemented by this module. Only overridden methods are described here. Throwing Exceptions One of the functionalities that Bio::Root::RootI provides is the ability to throw() exceptions with pretty stack traces. Bio::Root::Root enhances this with the ability to use Error (available from CPAN) if it has also been installed. If Error has been installed, throw() will use it. This causes an Error.pm-derived object to be thrown. This can be caught within a "catch{}" block, from wich you can extract useful bits of information. If Error is not installed, it will use the Bio::Root::RootI-based exception throwing facilty. Typed Exception Syntax The typed exception syntax of throw() has the advantage of plainly indicating the nature of the trouble, since the name of the class is included in the title of the exception output. To take advantage of this capability, you must specify arguments as named parameters in the throw() call. Here are the parameters: -class name of the class of the exception. This should be one of the classes defined in Bio::Root::Exception, or a custom error of yours that extends one of the exceptions defined in Bio::Root::Exception. -text a sensible message for the exception -value the value causing the exception or $!, if appropriate. Note that Bio::Root::Exception does not need to be imported into your module (or script) namespace in order to throw exceptions via Bio::Root::Root::throw(), since Bio::Root::Root imports it. Try-Catch-Finally Support In addition to using an eval{} block to handle exceptions, you can also use a try-catch-finally block structure if Error has been installed in your system (available from CPAN). See the documentation for Error for more details. Here's an example. See the Bio::Root::Exception module for other pre-defined exception types: try { open( IN, $file) || $obj->throw( -class => 'Bio::Root::FileOpenException', -text => "Cannot open file $file for reading", -value => $!); } catch Bio::Root::BadParameter with { my $err = shift; # get the Error object # Perform specific exception handling code for the FileOpenException } catch Bio::Root::Exception with { my $err = shift; # get the Error object # Perform general exception handling code for any Bioperl exception. } otherwise { # A catch-all for any other type of exception } finally { # Any code that you want to execute regardless of whether or not # an exception occurred. }; # the ending semicolon is essential! FEEDBACK
Mailing Lists User feedback is an integral part of the evolution of this and other Bioperl modules. Send your comments and suggestions preferably to one of the Bioperl mailing lists. Your participation is much appreciated. bioperl-l@bioperl.org - General discussion http://bioperl.org/wiki/Mailing_lists - About the mailing lists Support Please direct usage questions or support issues to the mailing list: bioperl-l@bioperl.org rather than to the module maintainer directly. Many experienced and reponsive experts will be able look at the problem and quickly address it. Please include a thorough description of the problem with code and data examples if at all possible. Reporting Bugs Report bugs to the Bioperl bug tracking system to help us keep track the bugs and their resolution. Bug reports can be submitted via the web: https://redmine.open-bio.org/projects/bioperl/ AUTHOR
Functions originally from Steve Chervitz. Refactored by Ewan Birney. Re-refactored by Lincoln Stein. APPENDIX
The rest of the documentation details each of the object methods. Internal methods are usually preceded with a _ new Purpose : generic instantiation function can be overridden if special needs of a module cannot be done in _initialize clone Title : clone Usage : my $clone = $obj->clone(); or my $clone = $obj->clone( -start => 110 ); Function: Deep recursion copying of any object via Storable dclone() Returns : A cloned object. Args : Any named parameters provided will be set on the new object. Unnamed parameters are ignored. Comments: Where possible, faster clone methods are used, in order: Clone::clone(), Storable::dclone. If neither is present, a pure perl fallback (not very well tested) is used instead. Storable dclone() cannot clone CODE references. Therefore, any CODE reference in your original object will remain, but will not exist in the cloned object. This should not be used for anything other than cloning of simple objects. Developers of subclasses are encouraged to override this method with one of their own. _dclone Title : clone Usage : my $clone = $obj->_dclone($ref); or my $clone = $obj->_dclone($ref); Function: Returns a copy of the object passed to it (a deep clone) Returns : clone of passed argument Args : Anything NOTE : This differs from clone significantly in that it does not clone self, but the data passed to it. This code may need to be optimized or overridden as needed. Comments: This is set in the BEGIN block to take advantage of optimized cloning methods if Clone or Storable is present, falling back to a pure perl kludge. May be moved into a set of modules if the need arises. At the moment, code ref cloning is not supported. verbose Title : verbose Usage : $self->verbose(1) Function: Sets verbose level for how ->warn behaves -1 = no warning 0 = standard, small warning 1 = warning with stack trace 2 = warning becomes throw Returns : The current verbosity setting (integer between -1 to 2) Args : -1,0,1 or 2 throw Title : throw Usage : $obj->throw("throwing exception message"); or $obj->throw( -class => 'Bio::Root::Exception', -text => "throwing exception message", -value => $bad_value ); Function: Throws an exception, which, if not caught with an eval or a try block will provide a nice stack trace to STDERR with the message. If Error.pm is installed, and if a -class parameter is provided, Error::throw will be used, throwing an error of the type specified by -class. If Error.pm is installed and no -class parameter is provided (i.e., a simple string is given), A Bio::Root::Exception is thrown. Returns : n/a Args : A string giving a descriptive error message, optional Named parameters: '-class' a string for the name of a class that derives from Error.pm, such as any of the exceptions defined in Bio::Root::Exception. Default class: Bio::Root::Exception '-text' a string giving a descriptive error message '-value' the value causing the exception, or $! (optional) Thus, if only a string argument is given, and Error.pm is available, this is equivalent to the arguments: -text => "message", -class => Bio::Root::Exception Comments : If Error.pm is installed, and you don't want to use it for some reason, you can block the use of Error.pm by Bio::Root::Root::throw() by defining a scalar named $main::DONT_USE_ERROR (define it in your main script and you don't need the main:: part) and setting it to a true value; you must do this within a BEGIN subroutine. debug Title : debug Usage : $obj->debug("This is debugging output"); Function: Prints a debugging message when verbose is > 0 Returns : none Args : message string(s) to print to STDERR _load_module Title : _load_module Usage : $self->_load_module("Bio::SeqIO::genbank"); Function: Loads up (like use) the specified module at run time on demand. Example : Returns : TRUE on success. Throws an exception upon failure. Args : The module to load (_without_ the trailing .pm). perl v5.14.2 2012-03-02 Bio::Root::Root(3pm)