Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Is total CPU usage for sar %user+%system+%iowait? Post 302616567 by Scrutinizer on Saturday 31st of March 2012 02:36:26 PM
Old 03-31-2012
Total CPU is %user + %system. %iowait is idle time during which there happens to be IO activity.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

CPU usage per user

Hello everybody, How can we proceed to measure the CPU used par a user on unix HPUX ? there some commands or tools ? Thank you in advance. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mlaiti
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Total usage memory by user

Hi, When running top on linux redhat machine , i see that i have 16gb of memory in my machine and about 14.5gb of memory are in use: Mem: 16395780k total, 14970960k used, 1424820k free, 370264k buffers Swap: 4192956k total, 25824k used, 4167132k free, 12029400k cached How can i... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yoavbe
3 Replies

3. Solaris

Multi CPU Solaris system shows 100% CPU usage.

Hello Friends, On one of my Solaris 10 box, CPU usage shows 100% using "sar", "vmstat". However, it has 4 CPUs and prstat and glance are not showing enough processes to justify high CPU utilization. ========================================================================= $ prstat -a ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahive
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding total Percentage CPU usage

Hi, How can I find total CPU usage in percentage? e.g. if my system has 8 CPUs and I want to list total usage for all of them, is it possible through a command? I have tried some of the commands like top, mpstat, sar. The output of those commands has to be manipulated to derive the percentage... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: jal_capri
14 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

HOWTO - Total memory and CPU usage ... without top?

Hi all, Is it possible to get total memory usage and free memory usage without top? By Googling I found for total memory usage, use vmstat, for CPU, use mpstat, for disk I/O use iostat, is this correct? Will using sar gives the same result as ALL of these three (3) commands? What about if I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
2 Replies

6. Ubuntu

High System CPU Usage

I am running a Dell PE R815 with 4 x AMD 12 core CPUs with 128GB of RAM and a RAID 5 array of 6 SAS disks. This is an HPC application and is definitely CPU bound, however once I run 16 of these processes (thus pinning 16 cores) the work performed slows down dramatically, to maybe 5 or 10% of what... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mowmentous
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Total cpu usage in percent(%)

How to determine the total percentage cpu usage of a server having 4 cpu cores(quad core)? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
3 Replies

8. Linux

System Went panic after CPU usage high

Hi All, Yesterday my Linux server went panic and even a small command took a lot of time to run. When i monitored pl find the below output Cpu(s): 0.1%us, 98.4%sy, 0.0%ni, 1.5%id, 0.0%wa, 0.0%hi, 0.0%si, 0.0%st the time spent on kernel mode is 98 % and also idle time is around 1.5 %...... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jegaraman
4 Replies

9. Linux

How to calculate total CPU usage from SAR report?

Hi, I want to calculate the total cpu usage from the sar report. Say for example, Linux 2.6.24-21-generic (blade10) 09/10/2012 04:54:36 PM CPU %user %nice %system %iowait %steal %idle 04:54:37 PM all 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rohitmd
1 Replies

10. Solaris

Total CPU usage on a server

hi, i am using solaris server. I want to find the total CPU usage on a server. Top command will give that result, but here that command is not working. So anyone can help me to find the total CPU usage. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arasu123
2 Replies
Sys::Statistics::Linux::CpuStats(3pm)			User Contributed Perl Documentation		     Sys::Statistics::Linux::CpuStats(3pm)

NAME
Sys::Statistics::Linux::CpuStats - Collect linux cpu statistics. SYNOPSIS
use Sys::Statistics::Linux::CpuStats; my $lxs = Sys::Statistics::Linux::CpuStats->new; $lxs->init; sleep 1; my $stats = $lxs->get; Or my $lxs = Sys::Statistics::Linux::CpuStats->new(initfile => $file); $lxs->init; my $stats = $lxs->get; DESCRIPTION
Sys::Statistics::Linux::CpuStats gathers cpu statistics from the virtual /proc filesystem (procfs). For more information read the documentation of the front-end module Sys::Statistics::Linux. CPU STATISTICS
Generated by /proc/stat for each cpu (cpu0, cpu1 ...). cpu without a number is the summary. user - Percentage of CPU utilization at the user level. nice - Percentage of CPU utilization at the user level with nice priority. system - Percentage of CPU utilization at the system level. idle - Percentage of time the CPU is in idle state. total - Total percentage of CPU utilization. Statistics with kernels >= 2.6. iowait - Percentage of time the CPU is in idle state because an I/O operation is waiting to complete. irq - Percentage of time the CPU is servicing interrupts. softirq - Percentage of time the CPU is servicing softirqs. steal - Percentage of stolen CPU time, which is the time spent in other operating systems when running in a virtualized environment (>=2.6.11). METHODS
new() Call "new()" to create a new object. my $lxs = Sys::Statistics::Linux::CpuStats->new; Maybe you want to store/load the initial statistics to/from a file: my $lxs = Sys::Statistics::Linux::CpuStats->new(initfile => '/tmp/cpustats.yml'); If you set "initfile" it's not necessary to call sleep before "get()". It's also possible to set the path to the proc filesystem. Sys::Statistics::Linux::CpuStats->new( files => { # This is the default path => '/proc' stat => 'stat', } ); init() Call "init()" to initialize the statistics. $lxs->init; get() Call "get()" to get the statistics. "get()" returns the statistics as a hash reference. my $stats = $lxs->get; raw() Get raw values. EXPORTS
No exports. SEE ALSO
proc(5) REPORTING BUGS
Please report all bugs to <jschulz.cpan(at)bloonix.de>. AUTHOR
Jonny Schulz <jschulz.cpan(at)bloonix.de>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2006, 2007 by Jonny Schulz. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.14.2 2012-03-09 Sys::Statistics::Linux::CpuStats(3pm)