Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Awk to remove carriage return from 65th field Post 302610657 by Corona688 on Wednesday 21st of March 2012 02:18:17 PM
Old 03-21-2012
\n is a newline, not a carriage return. Which do you mean?

If you mean an extra newline is breaking the line early, awk doesn't know the difference between the 'right' newlines and the 'wrong' ones, they're all just bytes; and it won't be able to delete a newline it hasn't read yet.

But you can count the number of fields to see if it broke early and save the partial record for next time.

Code:
awk -F"|" 'NF==65 { T=$0; next}; T { print T $0; T=""; next} 1

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove a carriage return at end of variable

Is there a command in unix to remove a carriage return character(^M) at the end of a variable value? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: flagship99
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To remove carriage return between the line

Hi, I have a situation where I need to remove the carriage return between the lines. For.eg. The input file: 1,ad,"adc sdfd",edf 2,asd,"def fde",asd The output file should be 1,ad,adc sdfd,edf 2,asd,def fde,asd Thanks Shash (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shash
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sqlplus returning value - remove carriage return '\r' - Please help

Guys - Simple code, i am trying to get a number back from sqlplus call to a query. After that, i need to use that number in a loop. --------------------------------- #!/bin/ksh VALUE=`sqlplus -silent sh/password@sh <<END set pagesize 0 feedback off verify off heading off echo off select... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunshine1974
10 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove ^M (carriage return) with string manipulation

Hello, I want remove ^M at end of my files line if I use command : tr -d '\r' <inp>out it work fine but get I the same result by manipulating the string ? I want this because in my text file I manipulate some other part I have input "the cat^M" I want output "the cat" I have made... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aquila_1
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove carriage return in a record

Hi all gurus, I need help in removing carriage return existed within a record delimited by pipe <|>. Sample: A_01|Test1|Testing1|Remarks1 A_02|Test2|Test ing2|Remarks2 A_03|Test3|Testing3| Remarks3 Desire output: A_01|Test1|Testing1|Remarks1 A_02|Test2|Testing2|Remarks2... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: agathaeleanor
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove carriage return from the variable

Hi, I try to handle very large numbers with a bash script. I run ssh command in a remote server and store the output in a local variable. But this output contains a return carriage at the end. So I try to remove it by tr But I can't figure out the right notation with printf. So my problem... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Meacham12
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove carriage return

I need to remove the carriage return comes inbetween the record. Need to have CR only at the end. I used the below command. tr -d '\n' < filewithcarriagereturns > filewithoutcarriagereturns But its removing all the CR and giving one line output. Input File: 12345 abcdegh... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: srvn_saru
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove Carriage Return (CRLF) within double quotes

How to remove Carriage Return (CRLF) within double quotes in a file. There are multiple CRLFs within double quotes. We are on Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS. The file that we are importing is a csv file from unix to windows and the file was formatted to unix2dos. Therefore all lines in the file all have... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: covina
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove carriage return and append the next line

Hi All, My requirement is to remove the carriage return in from the lines which i am reading if the length is lesser than 1330 and append the next line with it. Below is the realistic example of file structure. Input file: Blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah Blah blah blah blah Blah... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: mad man
16 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add a carriage return after every sorted field

Hi All, I have a text file - nmn-smt-1039.test.com:SearchService-WW:x:8277 nmn-smt-1102.test.com:AdminConsole-ww:x:8536 nmn-smt-1041.test.com:SearchService-WW:x:8277 nmn-wsf-1007.test.com:Service-ww:x:8532 nmn-smt-1042.test.com:SearchService-WW:x:8277... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacki
3 Replies
tofrodos(1)						      General Commands Manual						       tofrodos(1)

NAME
tofrodos - Converts text files between DOS and Unix formats. SYNOPSIS
fromdos [ options ] [file...] todos [ options ] [file...] DESCRIPTION
DOS text files traditionally have carriage return and line feed pairs as their newline characters while Unix text files have the line feed as their newline character. fromdos converts text files from the DOS format to the Unix format, while todos converts text files from the Unix format to the DOS format. The programs accept multiple filenames and wildcards as their arguments. You may also use them in a pipe. If either program finds its input redirected, it will process stdin and place the output on stdout. OPTIONS
-a Always convert. If converting from DOS to Unix, this option will cause the program to remove ALL carriage returns. The default is to remove carriage returns only if they are followed by line feeds. If converting from Unix to DOS, this option will cause the program to convert ALL linefeeds to carriage return pairs. The default is to convert linefeeds only if they are not already preceded by a carriage return. -b Make a backup of original file. The original file is renamed with the original filename and a .bak extension. For example, a file called "filename.ext" becomes "filename.ext.bak". Important: the program behaves differently if it is compiled for DOS (as compared to being compiled for Windows, Linux, Mac OS X or other systems). In view of the filename restrictions present on DOS, the DOS exe- cutable will strip the original file extension, if any, from the file before appending the .bak extension. For example, "file- name.ext" becomes "filename.bak". -d Convert from DOS to Unix. This forces the program to convert the file in a particular direction. By default, if the program is named fromdos or dos2unix, it will assume that the input file is in a DOS format and convert it to a Unix format. If the program is named todos or unix2dos, it will assume that the input file is in a Unix format and convert it to a DOS format. Using the -d option forces the program to convert from a DOS format to a Unix format regardless of how the program is named. Likewise, using the -u option forces the program to convert from a Unix format to a DOS format regardless of the name of the program. -e Abort processing on any error in any file. Normally, the program will simply skip to process the next file on the command line when it encounters any errors. This option causes it to abort on errors. -f Force: convert even if the file is not writeable (read-only). By default, if fromdos or todos finds that the file does not have write permission, it will not process that file. This option forces the conversion even if the file is read-only. -h Display a short help screen on the program usage and quit. -l<logfile> Log error messages to <logfile>. Note that if your command line has an error, such as when you specify an unknown option, the error message for the command line option error will be issued to stderr instead and not logged. -o Overwrite the original file (no backup). This is the default. -p Preserve file ownership and time. On systems like Linux, the file ownership will only be preserved if the user is root, otherwise it will just set the file time and silently fail the change of file ownership. If you want a warning message when the file ownership cannot be changed, use -v. -u Convert from Unix to DOS. See the -d option above for more information. -v Verbose. -V Show version message and quit. AUTHOR
The program and its documentation are copyrighted (c) 1996-2008 by Christopher Heng. All rights reserved. They are distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License Version 2. The latest version of tofrodos can be obtained from http://www.thefreecountry.com/tofrodos/index.shtml 2011 Version 1.7.9 tofrodos(1)