Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Initials of a name
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Initials of a name Post 302590154 by agama on Saturday 14th of January 2012 11:23:18 AM
Old 01-14-2012
It would be nice to know what context you are trying to do this in. As has been suggested, if you have a file of first and last names, just run a sed across the file. However, if you have a string, or two tokens, as a part of a loop in a programme, then the answer will be different. As an example, if you are working in ksh or bash this is much more efficient than running sed for each individual string:

Code:
full_name="Eric Clapton"
initials="${full_name//[a-z]/}"
echo "$full_name -> $initials"

If you need E.C. or E. C. you can do something like this:

Code:
echo "${initials/ /.}."
echo "${initials/ /. }."

---------- Post updated at 11:23 ---------- Previous update was at 11:16 ----------

Crossed posts with you...

Again, if you're using a Ksh like shell language, then you could just echo out the first characters like this:

Code:
full_name="Eric Clapton"
last="${full_name#* }"
echo  "${full_name:0:1} ${last:0:1}"

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find a file with common initials and last words

Hi, I have a requirement like i have to find out files and remove them on a daily basis. The files are generated as abc_jnfn_201404230004.csv abc_jnfo_201404230004.csv abc_jnfp_201404230004.csv abc_jnfq_201404230004.csv abd_jnfn_201404220004.csv abe_jnfn_201404220004.csv i want to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Mohammed_Tabish
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Versioning up a file with initials?

I have this code that works great ... #!/bin/sh for file in "$@" do ext=${file##*.} base=${file%.*} num=${base##*v} zeroes=${num%%*} num=${num#$zeroes} #remove leading zeros, or it uses octal num=$((num+1)) base=${base%v*} ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: scribling
5 Replies
GNOME-SHELL(1)							    gnome-shell 						    GNOME-SHELL(1)

NAME
gnome-shell - Graphical shell for the GNOME desktop SYNOPSIS
gnome-shell [OPTION...] DESCRIPTION
GNOME shell provides core user interface functions for the GNOME 3 desktop, like switching to windows and launching applications. GNOME shell takes advantage of the capabilities of modern graphics hardware and introduces innovative user interface concepts to provide a visually attractive and easy to use experience. gnome-shell is a required component of the GNOME desktop, i.e. it is listed in the RequiredComponents field of /usr/share/gnome-session/sessions/gnome.session. It is started in the window manager phase of the session. OPTIONS
-r, --replace Replace the running window manager --sm-disable Disable connection to the session manager --sm-client-id=ID Specify session management ID --sm-save-file=FILE Initialize session from FILE --screen=SCREEN X screen to use -d, --display=DISPLAY X Display to use --sync Make X calls synchronous --version Print version and exit --help Display help and exit --mode=MODE Use a specific mode, e.g. "gdm" for login screen --list-modes List possible modes and exit --clutter-display=DISPLAY Clutter the option display (otherwise ignored) FILES
/usr/share/gnome-session/sessions/gnome.session, /usr/share/applications/gnome-shell.desktop. BUGS
The bug tracker can be reached by visiting the website https://bugzilla.gnome.org/buglist.cgi?product=gnome-shell. Before sending a bug report, please verify that you have the latest version of gnome-shell. Many bugs (major and minor) are fixed at each release, and if yours is out of date, the problem may already have been solved. ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
For further information, visit the website http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell. gnome-shell GNOME-SHELL(1)