Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Backup and restore
Operating Systems AIX Backup and restore Post 302562772 by rbatte1 on Saturday 8th of October 2011 07:44:09 AM
Old 10-08-2011
Assuming that this is AIX, you define the PP size when creating/restoring the volume groups. There are a few issues to consider though:-
  1. Have you got a mirrored rootvg?
    . If so, then you have a problem. It will require two disks to restore to and create the mirrors. You cannot stop this without serious hacking before the backup is taken.
    . If you are not mirrored on the live server then you could lose the server with a single disk failure. Smilie Generally on a system with 10 local disks, you can expect a failure on one of them every 3 years. Fewer disks I suppose means there are less to go wrog, so perhaps a lesser risk (arguable) but then you have much more chance of it being catastrophic. Do you feel lucky? Smilie
  2. Is your rootvg definition up to date?
    . Make sure you run mkszfile before the mksysb to ensure that the defintion is recreated. If you don't and fileystems have been grown, then it is possible that the data will not fit in based on the old definition.
  3. How are you restoring your datavg?.
    You can either use savevg to grab the lot, or you can use savevg to save just the structure, allowing you to use a bespoke backup or 3rd party software to backup the data. The same issues over mirrors a sufficient disks to recover to exist. There are options to work on removing mirrors as I have this issue too in that live server is local mirrored disk, DR is SAN provided disks, so RAID behind the scenes means I do not need AIX mirrors.

Can you describe a bit more what you have and/or need. Smilie

Robin
Liverpool/Blackburn

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cannot restore a TAR backup

I backed up a unix database using "tar -cvf /dev/rmt1 -N 800 /*" Normally I would restore this using "tar -xvf /dev/rmt1 -N 800" This is reporting an error about "not enough memory" I have done a new test backup and restore using the same commands and they work. ANY IDEAS ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ross.Goodman
2 Replies

2. Solaris

Backup / restore

Hi.... everyone could help me to understand how to do a backup of my servers .. operating systems is sun solaris 8 . I have some question about .... 1) Is better backup phisical disk or partition ??? i sow the command is ufsdump 0cfu /expbck/bcksunver/c0t0d0s5 dev/dsk/c0t0d0s5 to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tt155
4 Replies

3. AIX

Backup and restore

I have several H80 machines, all with AIX 4.3.3. On these machines I have mksysb running for rootvg backups and savevg for non-rootvg backups. I'm trying to get a list of files on the tapes, but I can't seem to do it with tar for the mksysb images. I keep getting the directory checksum errors?... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: uXion
3 Replies

4. HP-UX

F-Backup restore

Hello! i have a blank harddrive and a complete tape backup of the workstation. the backup is made with F-Backup. Now my question is: how can i restore my workstation? thanks for every idea! paul tittel hup-si (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: paultittel
3 Replies

5. AIX

How to restore from mksysb backup

system is not booting ... i want to restore from mksysb backup. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AIXlearner
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Backup/restore scripts

hi people i am in need of some assistance here hoping to star a linux course in january to wanted to get some experiance before starting so got a hold of some old assessments from a mate at college so just working through them in my spare time for the past 8 weeks or so and this is the final ? that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: boabbyrab
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Backup and restore in unix

Hello everybody, i am trying to make a script in UNIX to backup some compressed files to a tape drive. The thing is that i cannot use cpio command because some of these files are greater than 2GB. so i think the only solution left is backup command. to restore the files i should use the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: omonoiatis9
6 Replies

8. Solaris

Zpool backup and restore

hi, my requirement goes something like this: In current setup, we have SPARC server running Solaris10 5/08. Out of 3 HDD available, 2 HDD (other than root) were zpool-ed and 3 zones were created. Now, we have bought a new server with similar H/W config and planning to move the zones... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: EmbedUX
1 Replies

9. Red Hat

Backup / Restore

Hi, I need to back up a RH file system (96G). The files are oracle .dbf format some of which are 5G in size. I know that tar has got a size restriction of 2G so I cannot use this. Can anyone recommend an alternative way of backuping up this FS? I have been looking at dump but this... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Duffs22
6 Replies

10. AIX

Backup and restore query

I have some old directories and files that I which to archive off. I have created archive using -p option with /usr/sbin/backup to a file. If I then do a du -g on the original directory and the archive differ as I'd expect due to using the p flag to compress the files < 2gb as part of the backup. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gefa
1 Replies
voldiskadm(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     voldiskadm(8)

NAME
voldiskadm - Menu interface for LSM disk administration SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/voldiskadm DESCRIPTION
The voldiskadm script is an interactive tool that presents a menu of possible operations to the user. When an operation is selected, the script guides the user through the necessary steps, and prompts for data needed to complete the operation. The voldiskadm interface is intended mainly for beginning users and for those who prefer a simple method for doing common operations. The interface uses query-based prompts to gather input, with defaults supplied when possible. Context-sensitive help is available at every prompt by typing ?. Also, a list option can be used to get information on available target disks for an operation. For operations that require a device name, one or more names can be specified using a space-separated list. Names in the list can have the form dskn or rdskn (for an entire disk) or dsknp or rdsknp (for a specific disk partition). Disk names relate directly to device names in the /dev/disk and /dev/rdisk directories. The file, /etc/vol/disks.exclude, may be used to exclude disks from use by voldiskadm. Each line of the file specifies the name of a disk to exclude (for example, dsk5). The voldiskadm menu includes the following options: Add or initialize one or more disks This option prompts for one or more disk device addresses. The specified disks can be added to an existing disk group, added to a new disk group, added to a disk group as spares, or initialized but not added to a disk group (reserved for use as replacement disks). After specifying the disks, the user is prompted for a disk group (rootdg by default) and a disk name. If no name is specified, a default disk name is assigned (diskn for disks in the rootdg disk group and diskgroupn for disks in other disk groups). The disks are then checked to ensure that there is no information already on them. If there is, the user is given the option of encapsulating the disks. Encapsulate one or more disks This option prompts for one or more disk addresses. It then calls volencap to encapsulate the specified partitions. Remove a disk This option prompts for a disk, by disk media name. The disk is checked to ensure that no subdisks reside on the disk. If the disk is in use, the operation fails with a recommendation to first move all volumes off the disk. If this disk is the last disk in a disk group, the user is prompted for whether the disk group should be removed from the system, as well. The operation proceeds by calling voldg rmdisk to remove the disk from its disk group. If this is the last disk in its disk group, voldg deport is used, instead, to remove the disk group from use. Remove a disk for replacement This option prompts for a disk, by disk media name. The disk is checked for volumes that would lose all mirrors as a result of the operation. If such volumes exist, they are listed and the user is prompted to ensure that the operation should proceed. The operation proceeds by calling voldg -k rmdisk to dissociate the media record from the physical disk. If some formatted disks are under LSM control but not assigned to a disk group, the user is prompted for whether one of these disks should be used as a replacement. Replace a failed or removed disk This option prompts for a disk media name. The named media record must be dissociated from a disk. If the media record is not in the removed state, unused disks are scanned for matching disk IDs. If a disk with a matching disk ID is found, the user is prompted for whether that disk should be reattached. If a matching disk is not used, the user is prompted for a new disk, by device name. If the named replacement disk has a valid disk header, but is not allocated to a disk group, the user is prompted for whether the disk should be reinitialized. If the named replacement disk is listed as allocated to a disk group or to another host, the user is prompted to ensure that the operation should proceed. If the device is to be initialized, a new disk label is written to the disk to reflect its private and public regions. Given an initialized disk, the operation proceeds by replacing the disk in a disk group with voldg -k adddisk. Mirror volumes on a disk This option prompts for a disk, by disk media name. It then prompts for a destination disk within the same disk group, also by disk media name. Specifying no destination disks indicates that any disk is suitable. The operation proceeds by calling volmirror to mirror the volumes. Mirroring volumes from the boot disk will produce a disk that can be used as an alternate boot disk. This is done by calling the volrootmir command. Move volumes from a disk This option prompts for a disk, by disk media name. It then prompts for a possible list of destination disks, also by disk media name. Specifying no destination disks indicates that any disk is suitable. The operation proceeds by calling volevac to move sub- disks off the disk. Enable access to (import) a disk group This option prompts for a disk, by device address. The operation proceeds by calling voldg import to import the disk group stored on that disk. Disable access to (deport) a disk group This option prompts for a disk group name. The prompt display lists alternate disk groups and the disks (media name and access name) that they contain. The operation proceeds by calling voldg deport. Enable (online) a disk device This option prompts for a disk device. The prompt display allows for a display of disks on the system. The operation only func- tions for disks currently in an offline state. It then proceeds to make the disk accessible. Disable (offline) a disk device This option prompts for a disk device. The prompt display allows for a display of disks on the system. The operation only func- tions for disks currently in an online state but not part of any disk group. It then proceeds to mark the disk as offline such that the Logical Storage Manager makes no further attempt at accessing the disk. Mark a disk as a spare for a disk group This option sets up a disk to be used as a spare device for its disk group. A spare disk can be used to automatically replace a disk that has failed. No space can be used on a disk that is marked as a spare. Turn off the spare flag for a disk This option removes a disk from those that can be used as a spare and returns its space to the general pool of available space. Recover plexes and volumes after replacement This operation performs plex attachment, RAID-5 subdisk recovery, and resynchronize operations for the named volumes, or for volumes residing on the named disks (media name). If no media name or volume operands are specified, the operation applies to all volumes (or to all volumes in the specified disk group). ERRORS
See the voldiskadd(8) reference page for a description of errors related to the initialization operation. FILES
A list of disks to exclude from use by voldiskadm. SEE ALSO
disklabel(8), volintro(8), voldg(8), voldisk(8), voldiskadd(8), voldisksetup(8), volrootmir(8) voldiskadm(8)