Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Ubuntu editing the unity dash main menu Post 302539379 by programAngel on Sunday 17th of July 2011 03:56:12 AM
Old 07-17-2011
well apparently the dash menu is not work like the menu in windows in which you have directory the resemble the sub-menus and link inside them that resemble the apps.

Instead there are files with the extension .desktop, the content of those files tell ubuntu in what sub-menus of the dash the app should be included.
Desktop Entry Specification

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

a main menu option?

I have created a main menu in the following way: while true; do echo " " echo "Main Menu: " echo "Please Select An Option Using The Options Provided." echo " " echo "1 - Search All Files" echo " " echo "2 - Search Individual Files" echo " " ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amatuer_lee_3
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Menu in Menu script issue

Problem: I am trying to create a menu in a menu script and I am running into an issue with the calculator portion of the script. I am first presented with the ==Options Menu== which all 5 options working correctly. Now comes the fun part. I select option 1 which takes me to my ==Calculator... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: iDdraig
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

removing application from the unity menu

Hello I have removed wine but the symbols of it application were in the unity menu (though nothing happened when I clicked on them). How can I remove symbols from the unity menu? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: programAngel
1 Replies

4. Ubuntu

Gewtting Unity (or the Panel) to start

For some reason my installation of Ubuntu 11.04 is messed up and Unity doesn't start automatically. I can't find what command I need to start it nor how to make it start at boot time. (Running unity in a terminal gives some output but no GUI.) What can I do? I'd be happy to go back to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: CRGreathouse
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in create menu with 3 sub menu using the case command

hi all i am a newbie to this is there any examples on creating a main menu with 3 sub menu main menu -> option a , b and c a menu -> option 1 ,2 and 3 b menu -> option 1 ,2 c menu -> option 1 ,2 i am getting headache as my code kept getting unexpected EOF ---------- Post... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: chercm
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert vi editing to text editing

Dear Guru's I'm using Putty and want to edit a file. I know we generally use vi editor to do it. As I'm not good in using vi editor, I want to convert the vi into something like text pad. Is there any option in Putty to do the same ? Thanks for your response. Srini (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: thummi9090
6 Replies

7. What is on Your Mind?

UserCP Main Menu Moved to UIM

After a lot of consideration and work .... in Beta 5 for the new "User Information Modal (UIM) I have moved most UserCP menu to the UIM. Note to Mods: I have also moved the moderation tasks items from the legacy UserCP menu to the UIM Moderation tab. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

A dash to GOTO or a dash from GOTO, that is the question...

Well, guys I saw a question about GOTO for Python. So this gave me the inspiration to attempt a GOTO function for 'dash', (bash and ksh too). Machine: MBP OSX 10.14.3, default bash terminal, calling '#!/usr/local/bin/dash'... This is purely a fun project to see if it is possible in PURE... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Gnome 3.28.3 menu item dissapears under the system menu

I installed CentOS 8 with Gnome 3.28.2 and I noticed that the "switch user" menu item disappeared from under the system menu of Gnome classic (Both X11 & Wayland). I checked google and this problem seems to have a history going back several releases of Gnome. Unfortunately, I never found a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bodisha
1 Replies
DESKTOP-FILE-VALIDATE(1)				      General Commands Manual					  DESKTOP-FILE-VALIDATE(1)

NAME
desktop-file-validate - Validate desktop entry files SYNOPSIS
desktop-file-validate [--no-warn-deprecated] [--warn-kde] FILE... DESCRIPTION
The desktop-file-validate program is a tool to validate desktop entry files according to the Desktop Entry specification 1.0. The specification describes a file format to provide information such as name, icon and description for an application. Such a file can then be used as an application launcher and to display the application in the applications menu. For information about the Desktop Entry specification, see http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/desktop-entry-spec. The desktop entry files are commonly called desktop files. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: --no-warn-deprecated Do not warn about usage of deprecated items that were defined in previous versions of the specification. --warn-kde Warn about usage of KDE extensions to the specification. This includes the use of the KDE Desktop Entry group, of the ServiceTypes, DocPath, Keywords, InitialPreference, Dev, FSType, MountPoint, ReadOnly, UnmountIcon keys, or of the Service, ServiceType and FSDe- vice types. BUGS
If you find bugs in the desktop-file-validate program, please report these on https://bugs.freedesktop.org. SEE ALSO
desktop-file-edit(1) desktop-file-install(1) FREEDESKTOP.ORG DESKTOP-FILE-VALIDATE(1)