Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: CSV file
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users CSV file Post 302493540 by GRS64 on Thursday 3rd of February 2011 03:48:55 AM
Old 02-03-2011
Thanks for the reply. I generated a file as you suggested and looked at the readable character it put in to the TextCSV file the showed up as "bread"$ where the $ was coloured blue. There was a $ characters after every line so when I tried in import it again I have all the names listed in a single column with each on a different row.

So I tried to change the text file I had generated with the files names in it. The $ was just put in as a $ straight from the key board (just in black) but when the text files was imported using TextCSV into open office all the file names were in one row and one column.

Clearly the $ was not being recognised as a control character.

Do not quite know where to go from here

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to compare two csv files values and write into another csv file

Hi all, Am new to scripting. So i just need your ideas to help me out. Here goes my requirement. I have two csv files 1.csv 2.csv abc,1.24 abc,1 def,2.13 def,1 I need to compare the first column of 1.csv with 2.csv and if matches then need to compare... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chinnahyd
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

2 problems: Mailing CSV file / parsing CSV for display

I have been trying to find a good solution for this seemingly simple task for 2 days, and I'm giving up and posting a thread. I hope someone can help me out! I'm on HPUX, using sqlplus, mailx, awk, have some other tools available, but can't install stuff that isn't already in place (without a... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: soldstatic
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading from a CSV and writing in same CSV file

Hi, I am tryng to read from a csv file and based on some grep command output I will modify one of the column in the same csv. Example:- Input CSV:- 20120829001415,noneAA,google.com 20120829001415,dfsafds,google.com 20120829001415,noneAA,google.com Intermediate Step:- If 2nd column of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmajumder
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing 2 CSV files and sending the difference to a new csv file

(say) I have 2 csv files - file1.csv & file2.csv as mentioned below: file1.csv ID,version,cost 1000,1,30 2000,2,40 3000,3,50 4000,4,60 file2.csv ID,version,cost 1000,1,30 2000,2,45 3000,4,55 6000,5,70 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Naresh101
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare 2 csv files in ksh and o/p the difference in a new csv file

(say) I have 2 csv files - file1.csv & file2.csv as mentioned below: file1.csv ID,version,cost 1000,1,30 2000,2,40 3000,3,50 4000,4,60 file2.csv ID,version,cost 1000,1,30 2000,2,45 3000,4,55 6000,5,70 The... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Naresh101
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match columns from two csv files and update field in one of the csv file

Hi, I have a file of csv data, which looks like this: file1: 1AA,LGV_PONCEY_LES_ATHEE,1,\N,1,00020460E1,0,\N,\N,\N,\N,2,00.22335321,0.00466628 2BB,LES_POUGES_ASF,\N,200,200,00006298G1,0,\N,\N,\N,\N,1,00.30887539,0.00050312... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: djoseph
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare 2 files of csv file and match column data and create a new csv file of them

Hi, I am newbie in shell script. I need your help to solve my problem. Firstly, I have 2 files of csv and i want to compare of the contents then the output will be written in a new csv file. File1: SourceFile,DateTimeOriginal /home/intannf/foto/IMG_0713.JPG,2015:02:17 11:14:07... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: refrain
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Save output of updated csv file as csv file itself

Hi, all I want to sort a csv file based on timestamp from oldest to newest and save the output as csv file itself. Here is an example of my csv file. test.csv SourceFile,DateTimeOriginal /home/intannf/foto/IMG_0739.JPG,2015:02:17 11:32:21 /home/intannf/foto/IMG_0749.JPG,2015:02:17 11:37:28... (10 Replies)
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Save output of updated csv file as csv file itself, part 2

Hi, I have another problem. I want to sort another csv file by the first field. result.csv SourceFile,Airspeed,GPSLatitude,GPSLongitude,Temperature,Pressure,Altitude,Roll,Pitch,Yaw /home/intannf/foto5/2015_0313_090651_219.JPG,0.,-7.77223,110.37310,30.75,996.46,148.75,180.94,182.00,63.92 ... (2 Replies)
2 Replies
ANSITAPE(LOCAL) 														   ANSITAPE(LOCAL)

NAME
ansitape - ANSI standard tape handler SYNOPSIS
ansitape [key] [keyargs] [files] DESCRIPTION
Ansitape reads and writes magnetic tapes written in ANSI standard format (called ``Files-11'' by DEC). Tapes written by ansitape are labeled with the first 6 characters of the machine name by default. Actions are controlled by the key argument. The key is a string of characters containing at most one function letter. Other arguments to the command are a tape label and file names specifying which files are to be written onto or extracted from the tape. The function portion of the key is specified by one of the following letters: r The named files are written at the end of the tape. The c function implies this. x The named files are extracted from the tape. If no file argument is given, the entire contents of the tape is extracted. Note that if the tape has duplicated file names, only the last file of a given name can be extracted. t The names of the specified files are listed each time they occur on the tape. If no file argument is given, all files on the tape are listed. c Create a new tape; writing begins at the beginning of the tape instead of after the last file. This command implies r. The following characters may be used in addition to the letter which selects the function desired. f This argument allows the selection of a different tape device. The next word in the keyargs list is taken to be the full name of a device to write the tape on. The default is /dev/rmt12. n The n option allows the user to specify as the next argument in the keyargs list, a control file containing the names of files to put on the tape. If the file name is '-', the control file will, instead, be read from standard input. The control file contains one line for each file to be placed on the tape. Each line has two names, the name of the file on the local machine, and the name it is to have when placed on the tape. This allows for more convenient flattening of hierarchies when placing them on tape. If the second name is omitted, the UNIX file name will be used on the tape also. This argument can only be used with the r and c functions. l The l option allows the user to specify the label to be placed on the tape. The next argument in the keyargs list is taken as the tape label, which will be space padded or truncated to six characters. This option is meaningless unless c is also specified. v Normally ansitape works relatively silently. The v (verbose) option causes it to type information about each file as it processes it. b The b option allows the user to select the blocksize to be used for the tape. By default, ansitape uses the maximum block size permitted by the ANSI standard, 2048. Some systems will permit a much large block size, and if large files are being put on the tape it may be advantageous to do so. Ansitape will take the next argument of the keyargs list as the blocksize for the tape. Values below 18 or above 32k will be limited to that range. The standard scale factors b=512 and k=1024 are accepted. Ansitape will not copy directories, character or block special files, symbolic links, sockets, or binary executables. Attempts to put these on tape will result in warnings, and they will be skipped completely. FILES
/dev/rmt12 DIAGNOSTICS
A warning message will be generated when a record exceeds the maximum record length and the affected file will be truncated. BUGS
Ansitape quietly truncates names longer than 17 characters. ANSI 'f' format files can be read but not written. Multivolume tapes can not be handled. 4/10/85 UCB Local ANSITAPE(LOCAL)