Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Ext3 to NTFS - transfering data Post 302466849 by DGPickett on Wednesday 27th of October 2010 01:32:26 PM
Old 10-27-2010
I guess you mount the ntfs to /somewhere/ (an existing, empty directory) and "cp -p" your data files, or "cp -rp" your directories and their subtrees, into an appropriate directory on /somewhere/.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Transfering a window to another screen

Dear Experts I am using a workstatin with two screens and its OS is solaris 8. I wish to trnsfer some application windows from one screen to another one without need to closing the window and open it from other screen. Please advise Bests Reza (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Reza Nazarian
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Transfering files

Hi all. 1. How can i copy files from one unix system to another. should i use ftp? so How? 2. How can i create an archive whose extention is tar.gz? and how can i decompress them later? 3. WHat is RPM ? what does it stands for? Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vbs
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Transfering files from one server to another.

My oracle database is generating archive logs. I want to copy those archive logs over to backup server on a regular basis. I know how to create an ftp job and I can put it in my crontab. My problem is that I don't know how to send the files just once instead of sends all the files in the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alan Bird
4 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Transfering size between partitions

Below is a list of the file system on my Sun system. How can I transfer more disk space from the "/space" partition to the "/" partition with out rebuilding? / /dev/dsk/c0t0d0 6191949 5736718 393312 94% /proc /proc 0 0 0 0% /dev/fd fd 0 0 0 0% /etc/mntta ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: meyersp
10 Replies

5. BSD

Mounting ext3 & NTFS on PC-BSD!!

I'm having problem mounting ext3 & ntfs partitions on my PC-BSD OS. Can anyone please help me out here. What are the changes required to be done in fstab?? Are there any patches to be installed?? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: void_man()
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

transfering a directory to the toolman

I have a question about transferring a directory to the toolman. I have a directory called assn3 that contains two txt files and one empty directory and I want to transfer the assn3 to my my tooman account. Every time I try to transfer the file it says that the assn3 is not a regular file! what... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aama100
3 Replies

7. Red Hat

CentOS and XP dualboot + ext3/ntfs mount

I have WinXP Pro SP2 on first disk /dev/hda, which my BIOS currently has as first boot device. I have CentOS-5.2-x86_64 on second disk /dev/hdb, which I can boot into if I set my BIOS to boot from this HDD. It is using LVM with vg00 and a single LV for root (/) filesystem (ext3). How do I get... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: apra143
19 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Data files on AIX to NTFS Drive

How can I copy a data disk on an AIX system to a Windows readable format (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Phill
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Errors received while restoring my data from ext3 filesystem

Hi All, I have dual boot on my laptop - Win8 And linuxMint. From linuxmint i had copied all my data found on the NTFS partitions (on my laptop) to an external hard drive (formatted with ext3). i used rsync for this. Now after my hard disk crashed, am restoring the data back from ext3... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolatt
2 Replies
BIND(2) 							System Calls Manual							   BIND(2)

NAME
bind, mount, unmount - change name space SYNOPSIS
#include <u.h> #include <libc.h> int bind(char *name, char *old, int flag) int mount(int fd, char *old, int flag, char *aname) int unmount(char *name, char *old) DESCRIPTION
Bind and mount modify the file name space of the current process and other processes in its name space group (see fork(2)). For both calls, old is the name of an existing file or directory in the current name space where the modification is to be made. The name old is evaluated as described in intro(2), except that no translation of the final path element is done. For bind, name is the name of another (or possibly the same) existing file or directory in the current name space. After a successful bind call, the file name old is an alias for the object originally named by name; if the modification doesn't hide it, name will also still refer to its original file. The evaluation of new happens at the time of the bind, not when the binding is later used. The fd argument to mount is a file descriptor of an open network connection or pipe to a file server. The old file must be a directory. After a successful mount the file tree served (see below) by fd will be visible with its root directory having name old. The flag controls details of the modification made to the name space. In the following, new refers to the file as defined by name or the root directory served by fd. Either both old and new files must be directories, or both must not be directories. Flag can be one of: MREPL Replace the old file by the new one. Henceforth, an evaluation of old will be translated to the new file. If they are directories (for mount, this condition is true by definition), old becomes a union directory consisting of one directory (the new file). MBEFORE Both the old and new files must be directories. Add the constituent files of the new directory to the union directory at old so its contents appear first in the union. After an MBEFORE bind or mount, the new directory will be searched first when evaluating file names in the union directory. MAFTER Like MBEFORE but the new directory goes at the end of the union. The flags are defined in <libc.h>. In addition, there is an MCREATE flag that can be OR'd with any of the above. When a create system call (see open(2)) attempts to create in a union directory, and the file does not exist, the elements of the union are searched in order until one is found with MCREATE set. The file is created in that directory; if that attempt fails, the create fails. With mount, the file descriptor fd must be open for reading and writing and prepared to respond to 9P messages (see Section 5). After the mount, the file tree starting at old is served by a kernel mnt(3) device. That device will turn operations in the tree into messages on fd. Aname selects among different file trees on the server; the null string chooses the default tree. The file descriptor fd is automatically closed by a successful mount call. The effects of bind and mount can be undone by unmount. If name is zero, everything bound to or mounted upon old is unbound or unmounted. If name is not zero, it is evaluated as described above for bind, and the effect of binding or mounting that particular result on old is undone. SOURCE
/sys/src/libc/9syscall SEE ALSO
bind(1), intro(2), fcall(2), auth(2) (particularly amount), intro(5), mnt(3), srv(3) DIAGNOSTICS
The return value is a positive integer (a unique sequence number) for success, -1 for failure. These routines set errstr. BUGS
Mount will not return until it has successfully attached to the file server, so the process doing a mount cannot be the one serving. BIND(2)