Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Android Mini Review: Samsung Galaxy S (Android 2.1) v. Nokia E63 Post 302455827 by Neo on Wednesday 22nd of September 2010 01:15:25 PM
Old 09-22-2010
Based on more testing, I have updated the table:

ItemImportance Samsung Galaxy S Nokia E63 Remarks
GPRS ConnectivityVery Important Works GoodRock Solid Seems OK on Galaxy S now
WiFiVery Important Works GoodRock Solid Seems OK on Galaxy S now
DisplayImportant Amazing AMOLEDJust OK Samsung Wow!
GPSVery Important TerribleSolid with Holex (External) Bluetooth GPS A Samsung Samsung Galaxy S Heartbreaker!
AppsImportantEnoughNot so many Some Android apps are very cool!
SSH ClientVery Important Needs ImprovementGreat PuTTY client PuTTY on E63 much better than ConnectBot
EmailVery Important Great Gmail IntegrationJust OK Nokia email Nokia not impressive here
Text InputVery ImportantSwype Virtual Keyboard is Cool!!Nokia Keyboard is Great Nokia E63 is easier with one hand

There are some very good things about the Galaxy S Android phone, and so I will discuss them later in another table. I definitely like this phone, even with the major GPS problem. Yes, the GPS is almost useless, but there are plenty of good things about this phone that blows away the Nokia E63.

Switching between WiFi to GPRS (or GPRS to WiFi) often causes an Internet connection lockup on the Galaxy S and requires a reboot... I hope that is fixed in Android 2.2...

More on that soon....

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Virtualization and Cloud Computing

Mini Review: SliceHost v. Linode Customer Service

This weekend I planned to set up two OpenX servers to serve some rotating images to the forums. First, I signed up with SliceHost. Working outside of the US, SliceHost naturally required some additional information. They emailed me with 15 minutes of signing up asking for more information to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
4 Replies

2. Virtualization and Cloud Computing

Mini Review: SliceHost v. Linode Ubuntu 9.10 Setup

October 2010 Update: Linode Versus Slicehost – One Year Later A few days ago I posted Mini Review: SliceHost v. Linode Customer Service. At that time, I was going to cancel my account with Linode based on problems during the sign-up period. However, Linode asked me to give them another... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

3. Android

can I upgrade samsung galaxy SII to android 4

I am thinking of buying samsung galaxy S II. I would like to know, does this phone capable to support ICS ? Because I am not sure if to buy now and just upgrade the phone to then next OS or should I wait to but the next phone version? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: programAngel
3 Replies

4. BSD

Connecting a samsung galaxy siii to freebsd

I am connecting a samsung smartphone (galaxy s3) to a freebsd machine. It does not automatically mount. When plugging this machine in, the following message appears: ugen 7.2: <SAMSUNG> at usbus7 When disconnecting, the following message appears: ugen 7.2: <SAMSUNG> at usbus7 (disconnected)... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
13 Replies

5. What is on Your Mind?

My Experience: Samsung Galaxy Phones versus the iPhone6

Just a quick note and not really a detailed review of mobile phones.... I have been a Samsung Galaxy owner since the first Galaxy S came out on the market. On a daily basis I work on two MacBook Air computers; but I wanted the openness of an Android phone; so I bought the Galaxy S, Galaxy S2,... (3 Replies)
3 Replies
madwimax(8)															       madwimax(8)

NAME
madwimax - driver for mobile WiMAX equipment based on Samsung CMC-730 SYNOPSIS
madwimax [OPTIONS] DESCRIPTION
madwimax is an experimental reverse-engineered linux driver for mobile WiMAX (802.16e) devices based on Samsung CMC-730 chip. These devices are currently supported: o Samsung SWC-U200 o Samsung SWC-E100 o Samsung SWM-S10R (it is built in Samsung NC-10 netbook) The driver is completely user-space. It requires libusb-1.0 and TUN/TAP driver to work. OPTIONS
-d, --daemonize Daemonize after startup. --device=VID:PID Specify the USB device by VID:PID combination. -e FILE, --event-script=FILE Specify path to the event script. --exact-device=BUS/DEVICE Specify the exact USB BUS/DEVICE (use with care!). -f, --detach-dvd Detach pseudo-DVD kernel driver on startup. -h, --help Display help. -l FILE, --log-file=FILE Write log to the specified FILE instead of the other methods. -o, --diode-off Turn off the diode (diode is turned on by default). -q, --quiet Switch off logging. -V, --version Print the program version number. -v, --verbose Increase the log level. --ssid=SSID Specify service set identifier, or SSID, which is a friendly name that identifies a particular 802.16e wireless network. EXIT STATUS
0 Success 1 Failure (syntax or usage error; hardware error; underlying software error; unexpected error). BUGS
See the madwimax issue tracker: <http://code.google.com/p/madwimax/issues/list> AUTHOR
Written by Alexander Gordeev, <mailto:lasaine@lvk.cs.msu.su> RESOURCES
Main web site: <http://code.google.com/p/madwimax/> COPYING
Copyright (C) 2008-2009 Alexander Gordeev. Free use of this software is granted under the terms of the GNU General Public License (GPL). 27 September 2009 madwimax(8)