Sponsored Content
Special Forums UNIX and Linux Applications High Performance Computing Memory Barriers for (Ubuntu) Linux (i686) Post 302430786 by fpmurphy on Friday 18th of June 2010 05:33:24 PM
Old 06-18-2010
Quote:
You're referring to Next Generation Posix Threads developed by IBM though. I'm not sure but wasn't this abandoned in favour of simpler 1:1 threading in NPTL? But anyway, I needed something with more control than was on offer with something featuring a standard posix api.
NGPT was developed by a small team which included some people - Bill Abt, for example - from IBM. Work was funded by IBM so IBM got the kludos. Yes NGPT was shelved at v2.2 in favor of NPTL. For a while we looked at scheduler activations (see New GNU thread library) but then moved away from that concept towards a 1x1 model as proposed by Ingo Molnar. NPTL has been proven in numerous benchmarks to satisfactorily scale to tens of thousands of threads of execution.

Frankly if you wish to scale to tens of thousands of threads you have lots more problems to worry about than what you have discussed so far. See The C10K problem for example.

BTW, an alternative approach to scaling your application might be use something like CUDA and offload the application to a GPU. Hugh performance gains can be achieved if you can solve the parallel programming issues. Another approach might be to use a multithreaded parallel programming language such as Intel's CILK.

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Memory-waste in Ubuntu/Debian?

I have 512 mem on this laptop, though 'top' tells me I only have 380. However, Ubuntu is using 288 mb of memory, when I only have 3 terminals, running lynx, vim(for this file) and (of course) top. Considering it I have lynx running a 600 page txt file, which of course would eat some memory but 300?... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: riwa
0 Replies

2. Linux

i686, x86 64, ppc

Hi, i am quite new to linux. I am interested in fedora linux distro. Fedora Project I dont know which one to choose, either i686, x86 64 or ppc. I prefer a live cd, coz its easy to use. And what is the difference between "Fedora Desktop Live Media" and "Fedora KDE Live Media". (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: superblacksmith
3 Replies

3. Programming

Getting the total virtual memory for ubuntu in c++

Hi guys , i need to get the total virtual memory in ubuntu but i need to write a C++ code for that, any idea on how to go about doing it? any references? or website that i can refer to ? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: xiaojesus
6 Replies

4. Ubuntu

XP and Linux (Ubuntu) on same disk, Can I install Ubuntu on not-yet partitioned portion of disk?

My PC (Esprimo, 3 yeas old) has one hard drive having 2 partitions C: (80 GB NTFS, XP) and D: (120 GB NTFS, empty) and and a 200 MB area that yet is not-partitioned. I would like to try Ubuntu and to install Ubuntu on the not-partitioned area . The idea is to have the possibility to run... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: C.Weidemann
7 Replies
URI::URL(3)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					       URI::URL(3)

NAME
URI::URL - Uniform Resource Locators SYNOPSIS
$u1 = URI::URL->new($str, $base); $u2 = $u1->abs; DESCRIPTION
This module is provided for backwards compatibility with modules that depend on the interface provided by the "URI::URL" class that used to be distributed with the libwww-perl library. The following differences exist compared to the "URI" class interface: o The URI::URL module exports the url() function as an alternate constructor interface. o The constructor takes an optional $base argument. The "URI::URL" class is a subclass of "URI::WithBase". o The URI::URL->newlocal class method is the same as URI::file->new_abs. o URI::URL::strict(1) o $url->print_on method o $url->crack method o $url->full_path: same as ($uri->abs_path || "/") o $url->netloc: same as $uri->authority o $url->epath, $url->equery: same as $uri->path, $uri->query o $url->path and $url->query pass unescaped strings. o $url->path_components: same as $uri->path_segments (if you don't consider path segment parameters) o $url->params and $url->eparams methods o $url->base method. See URI::WithBase. o $url->abs and $url->rel have an optional $base argument. See URI::WithBase. o $url->frag: same as $uri->fragment o $url->keywords: same as $uri->query_keywords o $url->localpath and friends map to $uri->file. o $url->address and $url->encoded822addr: same as $uri->to for mailto URI o $url->groupart method for news URI o $url->article: same as $uri->message SEE ALSO
URI, URI::WithBase COPYRIGHT
Copyright 1998-2000 Gisle Aas. perl v5.16.3 2012-02-11 URI::URL(3)