Sponsored Content
Special Forums UNIX and Linux Applications High Performance Computing Memory Barriers for (Ubuntu) Linux (i686) Post 302430438 by Corona688 on Thursday 17th of June 2010 03:00:49 PM
Old 06-17-2010
Small world, how so? Smilie
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorga
I hadn't heard of futexes until you mentioned them, but I did some reading and it seems they still use atomic instructions to update shared variables.
Well, yes. It has to synchronize somehow. One way or another you must interrupt other cores with this change in status, or they may never know.
Quote:
In that case I could just use one of GCC's built-in atomic operations like "__sync_fetch_ and_ add" or "__sync_bool_compare_and_swap" as described here...

Atomic Builtins - Using the GNU Compiler Collection (GCC)
Wow, those are nice.

Quote:
The thing with these is they use the asm op-code "lock", which issues a hardware lock on the data-bus effectively locking every other process out of memory.
I think you're overreacting... Any memory I/O monopolizes the bus*, LOCK just guarantees one instruction gets two ops in a row.

Also. The original 8088 has precisely one instruction worth of cache, so locking the bus stalls it instantly... The huge caches, multiple independent memory buses, and cache communication systems in recent NUMA systems usually let cores keep going or find something else to do. I'm not sure LOCK XCGH even forces a real memory fetch anymore(might be simple to test, try to get back to you on that.)

Lastly, if you're doing no mutexing, what are you doing instead -- polling? That's not going to be more efficient, untold amounts of CPU will be expended on what amounts to a while(1) loop.

I really think pthreads is still what you're looking for. They've made it as fast as they know how, significantly changing the kernel to accommodate it.

* Exceptions exist for very special-purpose memory chips like video RAM.

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Memory-waste in Ubuntu/Debian?

I have 512 mem on this laptop, though 'top' tells me I only have 380. However, Ubuntu is using 288 mb of memory, when I only have 3 terminals, running lynx, vim(for this file) and (of course) top. Considering it I have lynx running a 600 page txt file, which of course would eat some memory but 300?... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: riwa
0 Replies

2. Linux

i686, x86 64, ppc

Hi, i am quite new to linux. I am interested in fedora linux distro. Fedora Project I dont know which one to choose, either i686, x86 64 or ppc. I prefer a live cd, coz its easy to use. And what is the difference between "Fedora Desktop Live Media" and "Fedora KDE Live Media". (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: superblacksmith
3 Replies

3. Programming

Getting the total virtual memory for ubuntu in c++

Hi guys , i need to get the total virtual memory in ubuntu but i need to write a C++ code for that, any idea on how to go about doing it? any references? or website that i can refer to ? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: xiaojesus
6 Replies

4. Ubuntu

XP and Linux (Ubuntu) on same disk, Can I install Ubuntu on not-yet partitioned portion of disk?

My PC (Esprimo, 3 yeas old) has one hard drive having 2 partitions C: (80 GB NTFS, XP) and D: (120 GB NTFS, empty) and and a 200 MB area that yet is not-partitioned. I would like to try Ubuntu and to install Ubuntu on the not-partitioned area . The idea is to have the possibility to run... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: C.Weidemann
7 Replies
atomic_ops(9F)															    atomic_ops(9F)

NAME
atomic_ops - atomic operations SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/atomic.h> This collection of functions provides atomic memory operations. There are 8 different classes of atomic operations: atomic_add(9F) These functions provide an atomic addition of a signed value to a variable. atomic_and(9F) These functions provide an atomic logical 'and' of a value to a variable. atomic_bits(9F) These functions provide atomic bit setting and clearing within a variable. atomic_cas(9F) These functions provide an atomic comparison of a value with a variable. If the comparison is equal, then swap in a new value for the variable, returning the old value of the variable in either case. atomic_dec(9F) These functions provide an atomic decrement on a variable. atomic_inc(9F) These functions provide an atomic increment on a variable. atomic_or(9F) These functions provide an atomic logical 'or' of a value to a variable. atomic_swap(9F) These functions provide an atomic swap of a value with a variable, returning the old value of the variable. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ atomic_add(9F), atomic_and(9F), atomic_bits(9F), atomic_cas(9F), atomic_dec(9F), atomic_inc(9F), atomic_or(9F), atomic_swap(9F), mem- bar_ops(9F), attributes(5) Atomic instructions ensure global visibility of atomically-modified variables on completion. In a relaxed store order system, this does not guarantee that the visibility of other variables will be synchronized with the completion of the atomic instruction. If such synchro- nization is required, memory barrier instructions must be used. See membar_ops(9F). Atomic instructions can be expensive. since they require synchronization to occur at a hardware level. This means they should be used with care to ensure that forcing hardware level synchronization occurs a minimum number of times. For example, if you have several variables that need to be incremented as a group, and each needs to be done atomically, then do so with a mutex lock protecting all of them being incremented rather than using the atomic_inc(9F) operation on each of them. 28 Mar 2005 atomic_ops(9F)