Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Monitor files being copied/accessed Post 302404962 by prostiiinet on Wednesday 17th of March 2010 04:44:09 PM
Old 03-17-2010
Monitor files being copied/accessed

Hello,

Is there a way (without 3rd party software) to know if a file has been accessed and/or copied ?

I'm interested in any solution : doing command line instructions , running background scripts etc...

I apologize if I posted this in the wrong forum.

Thank you!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

monitoring files copied onto hard disk

hi... i need pointers to books/website... 'm trytin to write a daemon that monitors files of particular type(eg. text or pdfs) copied onto the hard disk. the daemon should detect the above n write the file name (along with the absolute path) to a file. please DO NOT give me the code... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhi_abhijith
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find files not accessed on a remote server and delete - Help!

Hi Guys, I am currently working on a script to find all the files that have not been accessed for the past 2 years. This, i guess has been discussed n number of times in this forum. Now, my requirement is to find all the files in the remote windows server. I have it mounted in unix. I was... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bond_bhai
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Searching files by last accessed time

How can I search for files by last accessed time? I want to see files accessed in the last 24 hours, for example...or even less time, maybe in the last 3 hours? Thank you in advance, Trellot (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Trellot
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ignoring already copied files

I'm almost brand new to UNIX, so I have no idea if how easy or difficult this would be, or if it's even possible. I've been using FTP to copy a total of about 150gb of files to a remote drive. Since the directory being copied is so large, I've been trying to break it up into smaller chunks based... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nvandyke
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Number of files accessed this week

I have looked around on the internet and still i am no wiser as to how to show the number of files in a directory that have been accessed this week and also that as a percentage. Any help would be much appreciated. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: RAFC_99
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

no of files copied by scp command

hi, I have a script which copy files by using scp command. when i run that script, i can see the process meter but I want to know how many files have been copied. suppose, by using scp 10 files is being copied and I can see process meter for all 10 files. but i also want to see ... that 10... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: anshu ranjan
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check files copied from remote server

There is a process which copy files form unix a to unix b I would like to check whether all files copied from a to b or not ,and list which are the missing files. Is there a command to check like that (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lalitpct
3 Replies

8. Red Hat

Files copied to FTP server not shown

I had copied 2 files to an FTP server which I deployed on my RHEL 5.8 server. The ownership I kept for the files are for the user, ftp. But, I do not see the files on the FTP location using either accessing through Windows explorer or the browser. The ftp location is ftp://10.101.17.80/incoming.... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: RHCE
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Track the files accessed by a script.

How can i track all the files accessed by script. The script is supposed to bring up my application and this script is just the main script which inturn calls another scripts and executable. I need to know all the the files this main script calls and the files accessed by all the other scripts... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chacko193
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Record top accessed processes/files

Hello, I have about 100 servers that I'm looking to collect information regarding top files and processes accessed within a 168 hr (1 week) period. Each server has a different purpose and so different installed applications. All servers are running either unix or linux. What would be a... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: umang2382
0 Replies
FVWM-THEMES-COM(1)						   Fvwm Utility 						FVWM-THEMES-COM(1)

NAME
fvwm-themes-com - fvwm-themes communication center SYNOPSIS
fvwm-themes-com [ --help] [ --version] [ --name name ] [ --message message ] [ --lock-and-get ] [ --get-buffer ] [ --clear-buffer ] [ --buffer-name name ] [ --line lineNbr] DESCRIPTION
This script is not a user script. It is used by Fvwm-Themes for communication between some FvwmScript scripts and some other programs. Basically, you want to start a programs in the background which support the fvwm-themes-com communication protocol (e.g., fvwm-themes-menu- app and fvwm-themes-config with the com-mode option can be used as generic examples), then you can use fvwm-themes-com to ask questions or to give instructions to the background program. The answer are displayed by fvwm-themes-com in the standard out put and can be used by a FvwmScript script via the GetoutPut instruction. The advantage of using this method is that the background program have to do its main job only once (e.g., parsing a lot of informations and storing them in some variables) and a script can have very fast answer from the back- ground program via fvwm-themes-com. OPTIONS
--help - show the help and exit --version - show the version and exit --name name - the name of the communication (e.g., if you start fvwm-themes-menuapp with --com-name pid option you must use menuapp-pid as name to communicate with it). The pipe used for communication are $FVWM_DATADIR/{.tmp-com-in-name,tmp-com-out-name,tmp-com-lock-name}. The "buffer" file is $FVWM_USERDIR/.tmp-com-buffer-name --message - A one line message to be sent to the back program. --lock-and-get - Wait (a certain "time out") for an answer of the message. Then, the answer is displayed on STDOUT. --line n - n must be an integer n > 0. In the case of a lock and get message, fvwm-themes-com will out put only the nth line of the answer of the back program on STDOUT and will copy the complete answer in a "buffer" file. If you use the get-buffer option the nth line of the buffer is out put on STDOUT. --get-buffer - Out put the buffer file on STDOUT. --buffer-name othername - Use an alternative name for the buffer file: $FVWM_USERDIR/.tmp-com-buffer-othername. This is usefull if two pro- grams use the same background program and both use the buffer. --clear-buffer - remove the buffer file. USAGE
Here an example: In the Script FvwmScript-Menus you first start the background program, here fvwm-themes-menuapp, and you set some variables for an easy use of fvwm-themes-com: # found the FvwmScript pid Set $CMD = {perl -e '$t=getppid; print $t . " "'} Set $PID = (GetOutput $CMD 1 -1) # Run fvwm-themes-menuapp until the end of the script Do {Exec fvwm-themes-menuapp --com-mode --com-name=menuapp-}$PID{ &} # to send fvwm-themes-com command Set $SendMsgAndGet = {fvwm-themes-com --name menuapp-}$PID{ --lock-and-get --message=} Set $SendMsg = {fvwm-themes-com --name menuapp-}$PID{ --message=} Set $GetLine = {fvwm-themes-com --name menuapp-}$PID{ --get-buffer --line=} Then in the Script you can ask fvwm-themes-menuapp for some informations: # Get the menu list Set $CMD = $SendMsgAndGet{"menu-items }$MENU{"} Set $ItemsList = (GetOutput $CMD 1 -1) ChangeTitle 11 $ItemsList You can also just send an instruction to fvwm-themes-menuapp: Set $CMD = $SendMsg{"exit"} Do {Exec }$CMD Of course your back program have to support the fvwm-themes-com protocol. See fvwm-themes-menuapp and fvwm-themes-config for examples (com- mode option). See also FvwmScript-Menus and FvwmScript-ThemesCenter. AUTHORS
Olivier Chapuis <olivier.chapuis@free.fr>, 5 May 2000. COPYING
The script is distributed by the same terms as fvwm itself. See GNU General Public License for details. BUGS
Report bugs to fvwm-themes-devel@lists.sourceforge.net 3rd Berkeley Distribution perl v5.6.0 FVWM-THEMES-COM(1)