Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Triggering UNIX command from Web Browser Post 302404380 by hergp on Tuesday 16th of March 2010 10:57:01 AM
Old 03-16-2010
So what you need is basically a cgi script that is called in the action handler of a html form. You can write cgi scripts in many programming languages, many people prefer perl for this, but you can also use shellscripts.

If you write a shellscript, you can user the environment variable $QUERY_STRING supplied by the webserver and perform actions based on its contents.

If you want to run the script under a different userid than the webserver you need a mechanism like sudo.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Web browser and web server for Unix

Hi there all I am looking for both a web browser as well as a web server (Ie. Netscape Fasttrack) that will run on HPUX 10. If you know where I can get these free via FTP, please contact me as soon as possible!! Thanks, Mark (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mleathers
1 Replies

2. Linux

web browser from konsole

hi experts, i'm running red hat linux, consider there's no visual interface, no X server... actually there is one but it's written in Python! what i need is to intall a decent web browser on it! is it possible? and i only have abt 100 MBs of free disk space... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: elzalem
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Triggering my Unix script....

Hi All, i dont have any idea about perl scripting... i need some suggestion so that i can put my effort to find out the solution:D let me explain....one of my tedious task which will taken care by Unix shell script which i prepared. its a kind of routine work that i am running the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shahul
4 Replies

4. Solaris

Can't open netscape web-browser

I am working in solaris 9 and i want to work with web-browser(netscape). but when I am openning it,it shows the message -- An error occurred reading the startup configuration file.Please contact ur administrator./.netscape/preferences.js,line 66:unterminated string literal.t,127.0.0.1 please... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: smartgupta
3 Replies

5. Solaris

Web browser not opening

On clicking on my WEB BROWSER . no window is appearing , only a dialog box appearing with named "ALERT" any nothing else. What is browser package name , which is by default in Solaris 10 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kush singh
3 Replies

6. What is on Your Mind?

The Dillo Web Browser

Hello, Have you all noticed that the Dillo web browser always reports bugs just about on every web page. Richard Stallman's Personal Page However some, but not many have none. cheers (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nigelc
2 Replies

7. Web Development

What is Your Favorite Web Browser?

OK, please vote on your favorite web browser and comment why! Only currently supported browers please! Thanks. PS: I am a big FireFox fan. FireFox add-ons rock! (61 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
61 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Practice UNIX on web Browser?

To practice SQL, there is a very good website called www.sqlfiddle.com no need of installing any external software, it can do almost anything in PL/SQL and Oracle. In a similar manner, is there a good website where i can practice Unix commands on a broswer? I mean, it should be able to execute... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Manjunath B
1 Replies
AppConfig::CGI(3)					User Contributed Perl Documentation					 AppConfig::CGI(3)

NAME
AppConfig::CGI - Perl5 module for processing CGI script parameters. SYNOPSIS
use AppConfig::CGI; my $state = AppConfig::State->new(\%cfg); my $cgi = AppConfig::CGI->new($state); $cgi->parse($cgi_query); $cgi->parse(); # looks for CGI query in environment OVERVIEW
AppConfig::CGI is a Perl5 module which implements a CGI interface to AppConfig. It examines the QUERY_STRING environment variable, or a string passed explicitly by parameter, which represents the additional parameters passed to a CGI query. This is then used to update variable values in an AppConfig::State object accordingly. AppConfig::CGI is distributed as part of the AppConfig bundle. DESCRIPTION
USING THE AppConfig::CGI MODULE To import and use the AppConfig::CGI module the following line should appear in your Perl script: use AppConfig::CGI; AppConfig::CGI is used automatically if you use the AppConfig module and create an AppConfig::CGI object through the cgi() method. AppConfig::CGI is implemented using object-oriented methods. A new AppConfig::CGI object is created and initialised using the new() method. This returns a reference to a new AppConfig::CGI object. A reference to an AppConfig::State object should be passed in as the first parameter: my $state = AppConfig::State->new(); my $cgi = AppConfig::CGI->new($state); This will create and return a reference to a new AppConfig::CGI object. PARSING CGI QUERIES The "parse()" method is used to parse a CGI query which can be specified explicitly, or is automatically extracted from the "QUERY_STRING" CGI environment variable. This currently limits the module to only supporting the GET method. See AppConfig for information about using the AppConfig::CGI module via the cgi() method. AUTHOR
Andy Wardley, "<abw@wardley.org<gt"> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 1997-2007 Andy Wardley. All Rights Reserved. Copyright (C) 1997,1998 Canon Research Centre Europe Ltd. This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. SEE ALSO
AppConfig, AppConfig::State perl v5.12.1 2007-05-30 AppConfig::CGI(3)