Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux finding core information in redhat Linux Post 302345187 by mglenney on Tuesday 18th of August 2009 04:03:51 PM
Old 08-18-2009
You're looking for physical id and core id. They both start from zero. I'm looking at a dual quad core system right now. I have 8 entries that look like:

physical id: 0
core id: 0
physical id: 0
core id: 1
physical id: 1
core id: 3

You can also get CPU info with
Code:
dmesg | grep -i cpu

A quick way to see how many cores total is to run 'top' and then press '1' on your keyboard. That will expand out the processor information at the top and will show you all the cores so you can do a quick count.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

what commands are used to deal with core files on linux redhat???

how do you cause a running pocess to dump a core file on linux systems?? i tried sleep 100 & kill -SEGV PID but nothing is created also, what commands can be used to analyze them? (extract useful info from them) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TRUEST
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

finding information about a server

hi can i know how to find out basic information about a server OS version, num of CPU, memory size, SI no. i ran the comman below... uname -a SunOS statsfs07 5.8 Generic_117000-03 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-4 from this how do i know which version is it in? thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: legato
3 Replies

3. Programming

Finding timezone information

how to extract current/existing timezone information ?? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kartik.patel
2 Replies

4. AIX

Want API for finding HDA information

Hi all, I am finding api for getting information about physical volumes such as device name, vendor, serial number etc. And I want to do it in C. :( :( please tell me any way out.... If your answer is use IOCTL, which i dont know how to use... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anand Phatak
0 Replies

5. Red Hat

finding no of core in processor

Hi, what is command to find out no of core per procssor? Regards, Manoj (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
4 Replies

6. AIX

Finding cpu information on vio client

Hi, I am having single p series blade with Single Physcial CPU with dual core, on that vio server is installed, I have created vio client allocate 0.9 each cpu , now when I am running prtconf command on vio client it is showing "2" no of processor, My query using which command it will... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

7. Red Hat

Finding disk information

Hi, I would like to know how to find out whether hard disk is local or mapped from storage, on my server both hard disk are there, Please guide me. Regards, Manoj (1 Reply)
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

Difference Redhat Linux/RH Enterprise Linux

what is the difference between Redhat Linux and Redhat Enterprise Linux. whereas Redhat linux have Server installation options too. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hananabbas
2 Replies

9. Solaris

SNMP - cpu core information for Sun SPARC machine

Dears, I'm looking for getting CPU cores information of Sun machines (like: SunFire V880, Fujitsu SPARC T5120, ...) via SNMP, unfortunately i couldn't find the proper OID for that. Can anyone help me with this ? Thanks, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anti_Evil
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Core and cpu information of HP-UX machine

Hi All, i am trying to retrive below information from any hp-ux machine (physical & virtual both): 1.Processor Total Count: 2.Processor Core Count: 3.Processor type: 4.number of physical processors: 5 number of virtual processors: i am trying to use command 'print_manifest' as... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: omkar.jadhav
0 Replies
HWLOC-BIND(1)							       hwloc							     HWLOC-BIND(1)

NAME
hwloc-bind - Launch a command that is bound to specific processors and/or memory. SYNOPSIS
hwloc-bind [options] <location1> [<location2> [...] ] [--] <command> ... OPTIONS
See below for a description of valid <location> formats. --cpubind Use following arguments for CPU binding (default). --membind Use following arguments for memory binding. If --mempolicy is not also given, the default policy is bind. --mempolicy <policy> Change the memory binding policy. The available policies are default, firsttouch, bind, interleave replicate and nexttouch. This option is only meaningful when an actual binding is also given with --membind. If --membind is given without --mempolicy, the default policy is bind. --get Report the current bindings. When combined with --membind, report the memory binding instead of CPU binding. --get-last-cpu-location Report the last processors where the process ran. Note that the result may already be outdated when reported since the operating system may move the process to other processors at any time according to the binding. This option cannot be combined with --mem- bind. --single Bind on a single CPU to prevent migration. --strict Require strict binding. --get Retrieve the current process binding --pid <pid> Operate on pid <pid> -p --physical take OS/physical indexes instead of logical indexes -l --logical take logical indexes instead of physical/OS indexes (default) --taskset Display CPU set strings in the format recognized by the taskset command-line program instead of hwloc-specific CPU set string format. This option has no impact on the format of input CPU set strings, both formats are always accepted. -v Verbose output. --version Report version and exit. DESCRIPTION
hwloc-bind execs an executable (with optional command line arguments) that is bound to the specified location (or list of locations). Upon successful execution, hwloc-bind simply sets bindings and then execs the executable over itself. NOTE: It is highly recommended that you read the hwloc(7) overview page before reading this man page. Most of the concepts described in hwloc(7) directly apply to the hwloc-bind utility. EXAMPLES
hwloc-bind's operation is best described through several examples. More details about how locations are specified on the hwloc-bind com- mand line are described in hwloc(7). To run the echo command on the first logical processor of the second socket: hwloc-bind socket:1.pu:0 -- echo hello which is exactly equivalent to hwloc-bind socket:1.pu:0 echo hello To bind the "echo" command to the first core of the second socket and the second core of the first socket: hwloc-bind socket:1.core:0 socket:0.core:1 echo hello Note that binding the "echo" command to multiple processors is probably meaningless (because "echo" is likely implemented as a single- threaded application); these examples just serve to show what hwloc-bind can do. To run on the first three sockets on the second and third nodes: hwloc-bind node:1-2.socket:0:3 echo hello which is also equivalent to: hwloc-bind node:1-2.socket:0-2 echo hello Note that if you attempt to bind to objects that do not exist, hwloc-bind will not warn unless -v was specified. To run on processor with physical index 2 in socket with physical index 1: hwloc-bind --physical socket:1.core:2 echo hello To run on odd cores within even sockets: hwloc-bind socket:even.core:odd echo hello To run on the first socket, except on its second and fifth cores: hwloc-bind socket:0 ~socket:0.core:1 ~socket:0.core:4 echo hello To run anywhere except on the first socket: hwloc-bind all ~socket:0 echo hello To run on a core near the network interface named eth0: hwloc-bind os=eth0 echo hello To run on a core near the PCI device whose bus ID is 0000:01:02.0: hwloc-bind pci=0000:01:02.0 echo hello To bind memory on second memory node and run on first node (when supported by the OS): hwloc-bind --cpubind node:1 --membind node:0 echo hello The --get option can report current bindings. This example shows nesting hwloc-bind invocations to set a binding and then report it: hwloc-bind node:1.socket:2 hwloc-bind --get On one of the hwloc developer's machines, this example reports "0x00004444,0x44000000". The mask reported on your machine may be differ- ent. Locations may also be specified as a hex bit mask (typically generated by hwloc-calc). For example: hwloc-bind 0x00004444,0x44000000 echo hello hwloc-bind `hwloc-calc node:1.socket:2` echo hello Memory binding may also be reported: hwloc-bind --membind node:1 --mempolicy interleave -- hwloc-bind --get --membind This returns a string describing the memory binding, such as "0x000000f0 (interleave)". Note that if the system does not contain any NUMA nodes, the reported string will indicate that the process is bound to the entire system memory (e.g., "0xf...f"). RETURN VALUE
Upon successful execution, hwloc-bind execs the command over itself. The return value is therefore whatever the return value of the com- mand is. hwloc-bind will return nonzero if any kind of error occurs, such as (but not limited to): failure to parse the command line, failure to retrieve process bindings, or lack of a command to execute. SEE ALSO
hwloc(7), lstopo(1), hwloc-calc(1), hwloc-distrib(1) 1.4.1 Feb 27, 2012 HWLOC-BIND(1)