Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Passing input to perl command Post 302343759 by JerryHone on Thursday 13th of August 2009 12:32:57 PM
Old 08-13-2009
Not sure what you're doing with your last example as you're attempting to process both the piped 'echo "2 Hello"' and hello.txt. Smilie
However, you can pass parameters into an awk script by using the 'variable=value' syntax on the command line...
Code:
perl -pi -e 'if ( $. == trigger ) {print output,"\n" }' input.txt trigger=2 output="Hello"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing date formats in Perl: i.e. Jul/10/2007 -> 20070710 (yyyymmdd) - Perl

Hi , This script working for fine if pass script-name.sh Jul/10/2007 ,I want to pass 20070710(yyyymmdd) .Please any help it should be appereciated. use Time::Local; my $d = $ARGV; my $t = $ARGV; my $m = ""; @d = split /\//, $d; @t = split /:/, $t; if ( $d eq "Jan" ) { $m = 0 }... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: akil
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Passing Shell Input to AWK

I am trying to search a log for a particluar pattern listing the total # of occurences in the end. I thought using a shell script for input then calling awk to search for the paramters specified. I want the script to be usable acorss envs. Code: #! /usr/bin/bash # get the variables... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: wawa44oz
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to run a ksh in bg after passing input

Hello, I've got a KSH which I use to monitor processes then email me when complete. I pass the process name to the script and the update interval. Does anyone know how I can get this to execute in the background. I can't use 'scriptname &' as it starts in the background before reading in my... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Grueben
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing perl variable to shell command

Can we pass perl variable to shell commands. If yes, please give some example. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anjan1
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing variable as an input file to AWK comand

Hi, I would like to compare 2 files using awk, which I can do by using: awk 'NR==FNR{a;next} (NR > 32 && $2 in a) {print $0}' File1 and File2. If the name of the File1 is in another file (for example, column 4 in File 3) then how can I pass this column 4 to the awk command. Thanks in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ezhil01
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

passing input into a cmd line that's waiting for a response

Hi, I am writing a little script to update a parameters on JMQ. however the JMQ requires a "y" confirmation to be input as part of the cmd I am running. However I want run this script to offline with no input from a user. it works if a I create a file with with just y in it and pass that in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shropshirehobbi
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing a variable as input to another shell

I have a shell program that calls another shell program the following code works . chkTimeFormat.sh "10/9/12 17:51:19:783."|read c but when I am passing the the time in a variable like in the code below, the shell chkTimeFormat.sh is not returning proper value time="10/9/12... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: swayam123
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing variables to an input file

Hi All, I have to insert 2 values to a text file in specific places. I have been able to extract each variable value via a script but am not able to send these variable values to the text file. Pasted is the script for extracting the variable values: for i in `ls -1` ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: danish0909
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Passing Input To Function

May i please know why is it printing the script name for $0 when i pass those parameters to function. #!/bin/bash -x usage() { echo "In Usage Function" echo $0 echo $1 echo $2 } echo "printing first time" echo $0 echo $1 echo $2 usage $0 $1 $2 Output: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ariean
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to avoid "Too many arguments" error, when passing a long String literal as input to a command?

Hi, I am using awk here. Inside an awk script, I have a variable which contains a very long XML data in string format (500kb). I want to pass this data (as argument) to curl command using system function. But getting Too many arguments error due to length of string data(payloadBlock). I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cool.aquarian
4 Replies
dpkg-trigger(1) 						    dpkg suite							   dpkg-trigger(1)

NAME
dpkg-trigger - a package trigger utility SYNOPSIS
dpkg-trigger [option...] trigger-name dpkg-trigger [option...] command DESCRIPTION
dpkg-trigger is a tool to explicitly activate triggers and check for its support on the running dpkg. This can be used by maintainer scripts in complex and conditional situations where the file triggers, or the declarative activate triggers control file directive, are insufficiently rich. It can also be used for testing and by system administrators (but note that the triggers won't actually be run by dpkg-trigger). Unrecognized trigger name syntaxes are an error for dpkg-trigger. COMMANDS
--check-supported Check if the running dpkg supports triggers (usually called from a postinst). Will exit 0 if a triggers-capable dpkg has run, or 1 with an error message to stderr if not. Normally, however, it is better just to activate the desired trigger with dpkg-trigger. -?, --help Show the usage message and exit. --version Show the version and exit. OPTIONS
--admindir=dir Change the location of the dpkg database. The default location is /var/lib/dpkg. --by-package=package Override trigger awaiter (normally set by dpkg through the DPKG_MAINTSCRIPT_PACKAGE environment variable of the maintainer scripts, naming the package to which the script belongs, and this will be used by default). --no-await This option arranges that the calling package T (if any) need not await the processing of this trigger; the interested package(s) I, will not be added to T's trigger processing awaited list and T's status is unchanged. T may be considered installed even though I may not yet have processed the trigger. --await This option does the inverse of --no-await (since dpkg 1.17.21). It is currently the default behavior. --no-act Just test, do not actually change anything. EXIT STATUS
0 The requested action was successfully performed. Or a check or assertion command returned true. 1 A check or assertion command returned false. 2 Fatal or unrecoverable error due to invalid command-line usage, or interactions with the system, such as accesses to the database, memory allocations, etc. ENVIRONMENT
DPKG_ADMINDIR If set and the --admindir option has not been specified, it will be used as the dpkg data directory. SEE ALSO
dpkg(1), deb-triggers(5), /usr/share/doc/dpkg-dev/triggers.txt.gz. 1.19.0.5 2018-04-16 dpkg-trigger(1)