Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Pattern to replace ^M and ^Y in a 4.2 AIX text file Post 302318533 by bakunin on Thursday 21st of May 2009 08:31:54 PM
Old 05-21-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Browser_ice
What if the number of lines of the original file is unknown ?

In my example I gave 3 lines but it can be anything between 1 and 20 lines.
In this case you will have to have some indication for a "record" being complete. Maybe you will need some record starting criteria too, for which one could match. Provide some data and i will provide some solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browser_ice
I tried the combinations below which do not change anything or are not recognized
This is just a way to enter non-printing (control-) characters into vi: enter input mode, press "CTRL-V", then press CTRL-M (for example for "^M"). You should be still in input mode and see "^M" under the cursor.

Quote:
sed 's/.$//' does remove the ^M at the end of each line but then it is still a multi-line format.
It removes the last character in a line, regardless which character this is - this is the problem. You have to specifically match "^M" (CTRL-M) and throw that out. You can throw out linefeeds by searching for "\n". Try the following with some test file:

Code:
sed 'N;s/\n/@/' /some/file

to see the effect: two lines combined to one and the linefeed is replaced by an at.

[quote]Is there a way to find out in VI what is the ascii value of the character under the cursor ?[/qoute]

No, but you can use "od -ax <file> | more".

I hope this helps.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

pattern replace inside text file using sed

Hi, I have a situation where I want to replace some occurrences of ".jsp" into ".html" inside a text file. For Example: If a pattern found like <a href="http://www.mysite.com/mypage.jsp"> it should be retained. But if a pattern found like <a href="../mypage.jsp"> it should be changed to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: meharo
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace Text Based On Pattern

Hi I'm trying to replace text in a file based upon a pattern. The pattern I'm looking for is: <styleURL>#style0002</styleURL> <name>#######6105#######</name>The # are seven alphanumeric characters before and after 6105. I need it to replace that with this recursively: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Grizzly
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create multiple text file from a single text file on AIX

Hi I need to create multiple text files from onc text file on AIX. The data of text files is as below: ********************************************** ********************************************** DBVERIFY: Release 10.2.0.4.0 - Production on Tue Nov 10 13:45:42 2009 Copyright (c) 1982,... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: lodhi1978
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

find pattern and replace the text before it

i am editing a big log file with the following pattern: Date: xxxx Updated: name Some log file text here Date: eee Updated: ny Some log file text here Basically i want to remove all the text in a line before the "Updated" pattern. I sill want to print the other... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: balan1983a
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed command to replace with pattern except for text and closing parentheses

Can someone help me with a sed command: There will be multiple occurences in a file that look like this: MyFunction(12c34r5) and I need to replace that with just the 12c34r5 for every occurrence. The text between the parentheses will be different on each occurrence, so I can't search for that.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: missb
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed help, Find a pattern, replace it with same text minus leading 0

HI Folks, I'm looking for a solution for this issue. I want to find the Pattern 0/ and replace it with /. I'm just removing the leading zero. I can find the Pattern but it always puts literal value as a replacement. What am I missing?? sed -e s/0\//\//g File1 > File2 edit by... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SirHenry1
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search and Replace a text if the line contains a pattern

My text file looks like below . . . abcdefghi jklmnop $Bad_ptrq_GTS=rcrd_ip.txt $Bad_abcd_REJ=rcrd_op.txt ghijklm $Bad_abcd_TYHS=rcrd_op.txt abcgd abcdefghi jklmnop $Bad_ptrq_GTS=rcrd_ip.txt (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: machomaddy
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pattern replace from a text file using sed

I have a sample text format as given below <Text Text_ID="10155645315851111_10155645333076543" From="460350337461111" Created="2011-03-16T17:05:37+0000" use_count="123">This is the first text</Text> <Text Text_ID="10155645315851111_10155645317023456" From="1626711840902323"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: my_Perl
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grab text after pattern and replace

i have a file which contains data seperated by comma. i want to replace text after 3rd occurrence of a comma. the input file looks like this abcdef,11/02/2015 11:55:47,1001,1234567812345678,12364,,abc abcdefg,11/02/2015 11:55:47,01,1234567812345678,123,,abc abcdefhih,11/02/2015... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gpk_newbie
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Replace pattern in text

hi unix expert is there any command in linux to repace a pattern in the text to another pattern? many thanks samad (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: abdossamad2003
2 Replies
pty(4)							     Kernel Interfaces Manual							    pty(4)

Name
       pty - pseudoterminal driver

Syntax
       pseudo-device pty[n]

Description
       The  driver  provides  support for a device-pair termed a pseudoterminal.  A pseudoterminal is a pair of character devices, a master device
       and a slave device.  The slave device provides processes with an interface identical to	that  described  in  However,  whereas	all  other
       devices	that  provide  the  interface described in have a hardware device of some sort behind them, the slave device has, instead, another
       process manipulating it through the master half of the pseudoterminal.  That is, anything written on the master	device	is  given  to  the
       slave  device as input and anything written on the slave device is presented as input on the master device.  The slave device can be opened
       multiple times, while the master half can be opened only once.

If no optional n value is given defining the number of pseudoterminal pairs to be configured, 16 pseudoterminal pairs are configured.   All
       pseudoterminal  lines should have a corresponding entry in the /etc/ttys file.  This must be done to insure that logins that use pseudoter-
       minals will be tracked in the utmp and wtmp files.

The following calls apply only to pseudoterminals:

TIOCSTOP
	      Stops output to a terminal (for example, like typing CTRL/S).  Takes no parameter.

TIOCSTART
	      Restarts output (stopped by TIOCSTOP or by typing CTRL/S).  Takes no parameter.

TIOCPKT
	      Enable/disable packet mode.  Packet mode is enabled by specifying (by reference) a nonzero parameter and disabled by specifying  (by
	      reference)  a  zero  parameter.	When applied to the master side of a pseudoterminal, each subsequent from the terminal will return
	      data written on the slave part of the pseudoterminal preceded by a zero byte (symbolically defined as  TIOCPKT_DATA),  or  a  single
	      byte reflecting control status information.  In the latter case, the byte is an inclusive-or of zero or more of the bits:

TIOCPKT_FLUSHREAD
		     whenever the read queue for the terminal is flushed.

TIOCPKT_FLUSHWRITE
		     whenever the write queue for the terminal is flushed.

TIOCPKT_STOP
		     whenever output to the terminal is stopped by typing CTRL/S.

TIOCPKT_START
		     whenever output to the terminal is restarted.

TIOCPKT_DOSTOP
		     whenever the stop character is CTRL/S and the start character is CTRL/Q.

TIOCPKT_NOSTOP
		     whenever the start and stop characters are not CTRL/S and/or CTRL/Q.

This  mode  is used by and to implement a remote-echoed, locally flow-controlled (using CTRL/S or CTRL/Q, or both) remote login with
	      proper back-flushing of output.  It can be used by other similar programs.

TIOCREMOTE
	      A mode for the master half of a pseudoterminal, independent of TIOCPKT.  This mode causes input to the  pseudoterminal  to  be  flow
	      controlled  and  not  input edited (regardless of the terminal mode).  Each write to the control terminal produces a record boundary
	      for the process reading the terminal.  In normal usage, a write of data is like the data typed as a line on the terminal; a write of
	      0  bytes	is  like  typing  an end-of-file character.  TIOCREMOTE can be used when doing remote line editing in a window manager, or
	      whenever flow-controlled input is required.

TIOCMASTER
	      Allows the master to have complete control over the pseudoterminal and causes the slave side to sleep until the master  relinquishes
	      control.	This is useful in preventing changes on the pseudoterminal from going undetected and being reset by the master.

Files
       (master pseudoterminals)

(slave pseudoterminals)

See Also
       tty(4), MAKEDEV(8)

pty(4)