Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: AIX Free disk space
Operating Systems AIX AIX Free disk space Post 302302494 by faruk on Tuesday 31st of March 2009 06:36:16 AM
Old 03-31-2009
Hello,

Usually gcc packages will be installed in /usr. So you can install it as /usr have enough space.

Still you want to increase /usr check for the free PP's in rootvg and you can extend /usr filesystem online.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

free disk space calc

I everybody!! How can i use statvfs() to calculate disk usage and free disk space?? Im using this code: /* Any file on the filesystem in question */ char *filename = "/home/nesto/test/test.cpp"; struct statvfs buf; if (!statvfs(filename, &buf)) { ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ninjanesto
1 Replies

2. Solaris

command to find free disk space on solaris

In linux df is the command to find free space what is the equivalent command in the Solaris (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: harishankar
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl script to check free disk space

hello, I have to check the free space on the disk that would work both on Windows and Unix platform e.g on C: \ for Windows and / on Unix. I could use Unix command 'df ' ( my windows system has Unix emulator cygwin and could run 'df ' as well). But I'd like not to rely on system command but... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: susja
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Unable to understand disk layout and where are the free space

Hi I am unable to understand the disk layout of one of my disk attached to v240. This is newly installed system from jumpstart. I am unable to see the free space on backup slice 2 and there are 0 to 8 slices listed when I run format and print the disk info, also there is no reference of... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarmani
9 Replies

5. Solaris

command to get the total disk space (available + free)

is there a command to get the total disk space (available + free) on the solaris server ? thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudhiroracle
3 Replies

6. Solaris

Disk free space planning for Sol 10 LU

I'm getting ready to start a LU from Sol 9 to Solaris 10. I want to ensure that I have enough disk space for future upgrades. What I don't know is what free space Solaris requires. If I have 10GB of free space in /opt, will Solaris 10 use that for a LU? Or, do I need to allocate 10GB of space... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: zeekstern
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Free space at disk

Hi, I would like to create the new file system(mount point) in our unix server. before that i would like to know the total free space available in /home directory. Can you please let me know, how to find free space available for new filesystem? Be careful with your spelling and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: koti_rama
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Determine free space in a Disk device

Version: Solaris 10 (August 2011) on VM I am kind of new to Solaris.From VM workstation i allocated 35 GB to this Solaris VM's Disk The disk was named c1t0d0 Few basic slices for root(8gb), swap(517mb) and /export/home(494mb) were created by the solaris Installer during the... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: polavan
18 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

I need help!! disk free space script

i want to write a shell script,when disk uses is 90% then automatically send a email to distribution list (group member)...... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sonu pandey
1 Replies

10. Solaris

Check free disk space in server

Hi, I need about 500G space in one corporate solaris server. However, I am not sure which command to use to check this. There are few volume groups in the server, and I deleted unused, old volume groups to clear some space. However, now I am not sure how to check the free space itself. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anaigini45
2 Replies
install(1)						      General Commands Manual							install(1)

NAME
install - Installs a command SYNOPSIS
install [-sS] [-c targetdir] [-g group] [-m mode] [-u owner] file [searchdir...] install [-osS] [-f targetdir] [-g group] [-m mode] [-u owner] file [searchdir...] install [-g group] [-iosS] [-m mode] [-n targetdir] [-u owner] file [searchdir...] install [-g group] [-MosS] [-m mode] [-u owner] file [searchdir...] The install command installs file in a specific place within a file system. It is most often used in makefiles. OPTIONS
Installs file in targetdir only if there is not already a copy there. If there is a copy of file in targetdir, the command issues a mes- sage to that effect and exits without overwriting the file. This option can be used alone or with the -g, -m, -s, -S, or -u options. Forces installation of file in targetdir even if a copy already exists there. If there is already a copy of file in targetdir, the command sets the new copy's mode and owner to those of the old copy. If there is not already a copy of file in targetdir, the command sets the mode to 755 and the owner to bin. This option can be used alone or with the -g, -m, -o, -s, -S, or -u options. Specifies a group other than bin for the destination file. Ignores the default directory search list. Searches for the file to be installed only in the directo- ries specified on the command line (searchdir ...). This option cannot be used with the -c, -f, or -M options. Moves file to targetdir instead of copying it. This option cannot be used with the -c, -f, -i, or -n options. Specifies a mode other than 755 for the destination file. Installs file in targetdir if there is no copy in any of the searched directories (searchdir ...). Sets the mode of the file to 755 and the owner to bin. This option cannot be used with the -c, -f, or -M options. Saves the old copy of file by renaming it OLDfile and leaving it in the directory where it was found. This option cannot be used with the -c option. Specifies an owner other than bin for the destination file. Suppresses the display of all but error messages. Causes the binary to be stripped after installation; see strip(1). DESCRIPTION
The install command copies (or moves) file into the appropriate directory, retaining the owner and permissions of the existing copy, if any. A newly created file has permission code 755, owner bin, and group bin. The install command writes a message telling you which files it is replacing or creating and where they are going. If you supply no options or search directories (searchdir ...), the install command searches the /bin, /usr/bin, /etc, /lib, and /usr/lib directories in that order for a file with the same name as file. The command overwrites the first matching file with file and issues a message indicating that it has done so. If no match is found, the command tells you and exits without taking further action. If any search directories (searchdir ...) are specified on the command line, the install command searches them before it searches the default directories. EXAMPLES
To replace a command that already exists in one of the default directories, enter: install fixit This replaces the file fixit if it is found in the /bin, /usr/bin, /etc, /lib, or /usr/lib directory. Otherwise, the file fixit is not installed. For example, if /usr/bin/fixit exists, then this file is replaced by a copy of the file fixit in the current direc- tory. To replace a command that already exists in a specified or default directory while preserving the old version, enter: install -o fixit /etc /usr/games This replaces the file fixit if it is found in the /etc or /usr/games directory, or in one of the default directories. Otherwise, the file fixit is not installed. If the file is replaced, the old version is preserved by renaming it OLDfixit in the directory in which it was found. To replace a command that already exists in a specified directory, enter: install -i fixit /u/judith/bin /u/bernice/bin /usr/games This replaces the file fixit if it is found in the /u/judith/bin, /u/bernice/bin, or /usr/games directory. Otherwise, the file is not installed. To replace a command found in a default directory, or install it in a specified directory if it is not found, enter: install -n /usr/bin fixit This replaces the file fixit if it is found in one of the default directories. If the file is not found, it is installed as /usr/bin/fixit. To install a new command, enter: install -c /usr/bin fixit This creates a new command by installing a copy of the fixit file as /usr/bin/fixit, but only if this file does not already exist. To install a command in a specified directory whether or not it already exists, enter: install -f /usr/bin -o -s fixit This forces the fixit file to be installed as /usr/bin/fixit whether or not /usr/bin/fixit already exists. The old version, if any, is preserved by renaming it to /usr/bin/OLDfixit (a result of the -o option). The messages that tell where the new command was installed are suppressed (a result of the -s option). SEE ALSO
Commands: chgrp(1), chmod(1), chown(1), cp(1), installbsd(1), make(1), mv(1), strip(1) install(1)