Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: per-process swap usage?
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users per-process swap usage? Post 302230525 by bukzor on Friday 29th of August 2008 07:35:00 PM
Old 08-29-2008
per-process swap usage?

I've been trying to write a monitor program that gets various values on the processes running and makes reports. One of the values that I wanted to monitor was swap usage, so that we can ensure that our swap space doesn't fill up, but I can't seem to get this number (on a per-process basis) from either 'top' or 'ps'.

I've tried everything I can think of. Can anyone tell me how to do this?

On my system, I run top and ps and sum up some of the numbers and I get these:

top vsize within 5% ps vsize: 1.0%
top rss within 5% ps rss: 98.3%
Resident set size: 6.422G
Top vsize: 11.980G
PS vsize: 144.780G
PS size: 88.384G

These are the totals I get from the 'top' header. This (roughly) agrees with the vmstat numbers.
Total Mem used, from top: 7.590G
Total Swap used, from top: 5.233G
Total Virtual Mem used: 12.823G

Now you see the closest thing to matching the total virtual memory above is the top vsize, and maybe I can get swap usage by subtracting top vsize from RSS, but the above was run on RH3. If I run the same script on RH5 (we have RH3 and RH5 machines), I get the following:

top vsize within 5% ps vsize: 99.7%
top rss within 5% ps rss: 97.1%
Resident set size: 5.059G
Top vsize: 84.335G
PS vsize: 84.485G
PS size: 6.357G

Total Mem used, from top: 7.751G
Total Swap used, from top: 0.000G
Total Virtual Mem used: 7.751G

As you can see, now the top vsize is way off.

I also tried subtracting out the shared memory (taken from top), but that only lowered the numbers by less than 5%.

There has to be a better way...

--Buck

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

swap space and cpu usage for an application

Hi, How do i get the swap space used and cpu usage for a particular application ? thanks una (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: una
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

process cpu usage

Trying to come up with a command that will show all processes sorted from highest cpu usage to lowest. Any ideas? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: cwsmichigan
9 Replies

3. HP-UX

how can I find cpu usage memory usage swap usage and logical volume usage

how can I find cpu usage memory usage swap usage and I want to know CPU usage above X% and contiue Y times and memory usage above X % and contiue Y times my final destination is monitor process logical volume usage above X % and number of Logical voluage above can I not to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alert0919
3 Replies

4. Solaris

Listing processes with swap usage

Is there any way to get list of processes which are taking maximum swap , my system is showing no swap space in /var/adm/messages and i 'm unable to pin down the process which is consuming max swap space. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: fugitive
11 Replies

5. Solaris

how can i see which process is using how much of swap

hi guys i am new to opensolaris and i have installed opensolaris 2009.6 preview and i would like to know how much swap using each process currently..... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: srinivas2828
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

calculate swap space usage in Solaris and converts it in Percentage

Hi Folks, I am looking for a way to write a script to calculate swap usage in Solaris so that the current usage will be shown in Percentage value. Thanks!! Based on 'swap -s' command # swap -s total: 1378936k bytes allocated + 1236880k reserved = 2615816k used, 2725104k available (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaapar
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Swap usage by top and free command doesn't match

Its rather confusing, the output of top command is below: The "swap" field of top is described by the manpage as: "The swapped out portion of a task's total virtual memory image." But the output of free command suggests something else and it does tally with the output of swapon... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
3 Replies

8. Solaris

Interesting swap usage

Hi We have 2 identical T4-1's running Solaris 10 8/11 patched to 07/2012. Both have 8G of swap allocated on the zfs root pool however a swap -s on one server shows 8G of swap available but on the other shows between 60 and 115G of swap available. Both servers have the same amount of... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gregsih
6 Replies

9. Red Hat

Swap memory usage is high in Linux

Hi , There is one following alert . Message : cdm:Average (2 samples) swap memory usage is now 91%, which is above the warning threshold (90%) Here is my findings. Output of TOP command in Linux server. top - 14:21:44 up 6 days, 4:48, 1 user, load average: 2.55, 2.06,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Maddy123
3 Replies

10. Red Hat

Swap memory usage keeps increasing.

Hi the version is RedHat 6.2 (Oracle DB server) I don't know why swap memory usage keeps increasing... I used to check swap memory usage Free -m and another way. total used free shared buffers cached Mem: 32183 31861 322 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tom8254
3 Replies
TOP(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    TOP(1)

NAME
top -- display and update sorted information about processes SYNOPSIS
top [-a | -d | -e | -c mode] [-F | -f] [-h] [-i interval] [-l samples] [-ncols columns] [-o key | -O skey] [-R | -r] [-S] [-s delay-secs] [-n nprocs] [-stats keys] [-pid processid] [-user username] [-U username] [-u] DESCRIPTION
The top program periodically displays a sorted list of system processes. The default sorting key is pid, but other keys can be used instead. Various output options are available. OPTIONS
Command line option specifications are processed from left to right. Options can be specified more than once. If conflicting options are specified, later specifications override earlier ones. This makes it viable to create a shell alias for top with preferred defaults speci- fied, then override those preferred defaults as desired on the command line. -a Equivalent to Fl c Ar a . -c mode Set event counting mode to mode. The supported modes are a Accumulative mode. Count events cumulatively, starting at the launch of top. Calculate CPU usage and CPU time since the launch of top. d Delta mode. Count events relative to the previous sample. Calculate CPU usage since the previous sample. This mode by default disables the memory object map reporting. The memory object map reporting may be re-enabled with the -r option or the interactive r command. e Absolute mode. Count events using absolute counters. n Non-event mode (default). Calculate CPU usage since the previous sample. -d Equivalent to -c d. -e Equivalent to -c e. -F Do not calculate statistics on shared libraries, also known as frameworks. -f Calculate statistics on shared libraries, also known as frameworks (default). -h Print command line usage information and exit. -i interval Update framework (-f) info every interval samples; see the PERFORMANCE/ACCURACY TRADEOFF section for more details. -l samples Use logging mode and display samples samples, even if standard output is a terminal. 0 is treated as infinity. Rather than redis- playing, output is periodically printed in raw form. Note that the first sample displayed will have an invalid %CPU displayed for each process, as it is calculated using the delta between samples. -ncols columns Display columns when using logging mode. The default is infinite. The number must be >0 or an error will occur. -n nprocs Only display up to nprocs processes. -O skey Use skey as a secondary key when ordering the process display. See -o for key names (pid is the default). -o key Order the process display by sorting on key in descending order. A + or - can be prefixed to the key name to specify ascending or descending order, respectively. The supported keys are: pid Process ID (default). command Command name. cpu CPU usage. cpu_me CPU time charged to me by other processes. cpu_others CPU time charged to other processes by me. csw The number of context switches. time Execution time. threads alias: th Number of threads (total/running). ports alias: prt Number of Mach ports. mregion alias: mreg, reg Number of memory regions. mem Physical memory footprint of the process. rprvt Resident private address space size. purg Purgeable memory size. vsize Total memory size. vprvt Private address space size. kprvt Private kernel memory size. kshrd Shared kernel memory size. pgrp Process group ID. ppid Parent process ID. state alias: pstate Process state. uid User ID. wq alias: #wq, workqueue The workqueue total/running. faults alias: fault The number of page faults. cow alias: cow_faults The copy-on-write faults. user alias: username Username. msgsent Total number of Mach messages sent. msgrecv Total number of Mach messages received. sysbsd Total BSD syscalls. sysmach Total Mach syscalls. pageins Total pageins. boosts The number of boosts help by the process. This is followed by the number of times the process has transitioned from unboosted to boosted in brackets. An asterisk before the value indicates that the process was able to send boosts at some point since the previous update. For more information about boosts, see xpc_transaction_begin(3). instrs The number of instructions retired by the process in both user space and the kernel. cycles The number of cycles spent executing instructions in the process in both user space and the kernel. -R Do not traverse and report the memory object map for each process (default). -r Traverse and report the memory object map for each process. -S Display the global statistics for swap and purgeable memory. -s delay-secs Set the delay between updates to delay-secs seconds. The default delay between updates is 1 second. -stats keys Only display the comma separated statistics. See the -o flag for the valid keys. -pid processid Only display processid in top. This option may be specified multiple times. -user user Only display processes owned by user -U user This is an alias for -user. -u This is an alas equivalent to: -o cpu -O time DISPLAY
The first several lines of the top display show various global state. All of the information is labeled. Following is an alphabetical list of global state fields and their descriptions. CPU Percentage of processor usage, broken into user, system, and idle components. The time period for which these percentages are calculated depends on the event counting mode. Disks Number and total size of disk reads and writes. LoadAvg Load average over 1, 5, and 15 minutes. The load average is the average number of jobs in the run queue. MemRegions Number and total size of memory regions, and total size of memory regions broken into private (broken into non-library and library) and shared components. Networks Number and total size of input and output network packets. PhysMem Physical memory usage, broken into wired, active, inactive, used, and free components. Procs Total number of processes and number of processes in each process state. SharedLibs Resident sizes of code and data segments, and link editor memory usage. Threads Number of threads. Time Time, in H:MM:SS format. When running in logging mode, Time is in YYYY/MM/DD HH:MM:SS format by default, but may be overridden with accumulative mode. When running in accumulative event counting mode, the Time is in HH:MM:SS since the beginning of the top process. VirtMem Total virtual memory, virtual memory consumed by shared libraries, and number of pageins and pageouts. Swap Swap usage: total size of swap areas, amount of swap space in use and amount of swap space available. Purgeable Number of pages purged and number of pages currently purgeable. Below the global state fields, a list of processes is displayed. The fields that are displayed depend on the options that are set. The pid field displays the following for the architecture: + for 64-bit native architecture, or - for 32-bit native architecture, or * for a non-native architecture. INTERACTION
When top is run in interactive (non-logging) mode, it is possible to control the output of top, as well as interactively send signals to pro- cesses. The interactive command syntax is terse. Each command is one character, followed by 0 to 2 arguments. Commands that take arguments prompt interactively for the arguments, and where applicable, the default value is shown in square brackets. The default value can be selected by leaving the input field blank and pressing enter. ^G escapes the interactive argument prompt, and has the same effect as leaving the input field blank and pressing enter. The following commands are supported: ? Display the help screen. Any character exits help screen mode. This command always works, even in the middle of a command. ^L Redraw the screen. cmode Set output mode to mode. See the -c option for descriptions of the allowed modes. Oskey Use skey as a secondary key when ordering the process display. See the -o option for key names. okey Order the process display by sorting on key in descending order. A + or - can be prefixed to the key name to specify ascending or descending order, respectively. The supported keys and alises are listed with the -o option above. q Quit. r Toggle traversal and reporting of the memory object map for each process. Ssignalpid Send signal signal to pid. signal can be specified either as a number or as a name (for example, HUP). The default signal starts out as TERM. Each time a signal is successfully sent, the default signal is updated to be that signal. pid is a process id. s delay-secs Set the delay between updates to delay-secs seconds. U user Only display processes owned by user. Either the username or uid number can be specified. To display all processes, press enter without entering a username or uid number. PERFORMANCE
/ACCURACY TRADEOFF Calculating detailed memory statistics is fundamentally resource-intensive. To reduce the CPU usage in top, the -i option has been intro- duced to allow the user to tune this tradeoff. With the default value of 10, framework stats will be updated once every 10 samples. Speci- fying -i 1 will result in the most accurate display, at the expense of system resources. NOT AVAILABLE
When N/A occurs in a stat, it's caused by the memory object map reporting being disabled. Memory object map reporting is disabled by default in delta mode, but may be optionally enabled via -r or the interactive r command. To enable the -r option, use it after any -c mode options. EXAMPLES
top -o cpu -O +rsize -s 5 -n 20 Sort the processes according to CPU usage (descending) and resident memory size (ascending), sample and update the display at 5 sec- ond intervals, and limit the display to 20 processes. top -c d Run top in delta mode. top -stats pid,command,cpu,th,pstate,time Display only the specified statistics, regardless of any growth of the terminal. If the terminal is too small, only the statistics that fit will be displayed. SEE ALSO
kill(2), vm_stat(1), signal(3), vmmap(1) Darwin 13 March 2017 Darwin