Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers while loop not taking the not equal to condition Post 302222859 by ssuresh1999 on Thursday 7th of August 2008 04:57:47 PM
Old 08-07-2008
while loop not taking the not equal to condition

Hi
I am trying to write a code like this
echo "enter a type"
read a_type
while [ $a_type != "S" ] || [ "$a_type" != "s" ] || [ "$a_type" != "SR" ] || [ "$a_type" != "sr" ] || [ "$a_type" != "a" ] || [ "$a_type" != "A" ]
do
echo "invalid engine type Please enter correct a_type"
read engine_type < /dev/tty
done

My problem is that even if i give the a_type as the correct one that i have listed above that is S or s so on and so forth it is still entering in the loop and telling invalid a_type
Instead if i give = condition in while it is working fine . That is if i give while [ $a_type = "S" ] then if i give S it is entering and not S it is not entering . But giving = dosent satisfy my code . I have to give not equal to if i want the code to work
Please help
Thanking in advance

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem taking input from file with for loop

I am trying to take input from a file and direct it into a bash script. This script is meant to be a foreach loop. I would like the script to process each item in the list one by one and direct the output to a file. # cat 1loop #!/bin/bash # this 2>&1 to redirect STDERR & STDOUT to file... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bash_in_my_head
4 Replies

2. Solaris

Infinite for loop is taking too much CPU usage %

Hi All, I wrote one simple for loop shell script which prints number..but this loop is infinite...but its taking lot of CPU (15.7) %. if i am using sleep cmd then cpu usage become 0.4 %. Is there anyway to reduce this CPU usage without using sleep cmd? i dont want 2 use sleep cmd... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pa.chidhambaram
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

For Loop Taking Too Long

I'm new from UNIX scripting. Please help. I have about 10,000 files from the $ROOTDIR/scp/inbox/string1 directory to compare with the 50 files from /$ROOTDIR/output/tma/pnt/bad/string1/ directory and it takes about 2 hours plus to complete the for loop. Is there a better way to re-write the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hanie123
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Comparison and For Loop Taking Too Long

I'd like to 1. Check and compare the 10,000 pnt files contains single record from the /$ROOTDIR/scp/inbox/string1 directory against 39 bad pnt files from the /$ROOTDIR/output/tma/pnt/bad/string1 directory based on the fam_id column value start at position 38 to 47 from the record below. Here is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hanie123
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

if condition in a while loop

Gurus, I need to read a line from a file and strip the characters from it and compare the stripped value with the value I pass to the script while executing it. Below is the code for the same. But when i execute the code, it is throwing an error. #!/bin/ksh . /home/.i_env ... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: svajhala
14 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use of -z in while loop condition

Hi, Could you please tell what is the meaning of -z in while loop condition. For example, while ; do echo "*** Enter the age " readage (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vidyaj
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

If not equal to then loop

How do I go about amending this simple script that prompts for a yes/no response so that if neither Y or N are entered it will loop back back to the original prompt #!/bin/ksh echo "Enter yes of no" read answer if then echo "You selected yes" elif then echo "You selected no" elif... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gmears
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep not equal to condition

I have below files under dir_a and dir_b and i want to sort out number of dir_a and dir_b files seperately and if i do the grep it should retrun 2 files in dir_a and 1 file in dir_b. /dir_a/12345678 /dir_a/87654321 /dir_a/dir_b/12345687 But i am getting cat file|grep dir_a|wc -l 3... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: prash358
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

While loop problem taking too long

while read myhosts do while read discovered do echo "$discovered" done < $LOGFILE | grep -Pi "|" | egrep... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with taking variable of for loop in textfile

Hi, I am new to unix/linux scripting. I have a text file, listlib.txt where the content: lib1_23 lib34_a ab_li_lab I need to generate a file (.log) of each cell. I am planning to create a (.csh) script that will have for loop with variable taken from listlib.txt. As for now, i have no... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mmaz
4 Replies
layout.h(3)							       log4c							       layout.h(3)

NAME
layout.h - Interface for user specific layout format of log4c_logging_event events. SYNOPSIS
#include <log4c/defs.h> #include <log4c/logging_event.h> #include <stdio.h> Data Structures struct log4c_layout_type log4c layout type class Defines #define log4c_layout_type_define(a_type) Typedefs typedef struct __log4c_layout log4c_layout_t typedef struct log4c_layout_type log4c_layout_type_t log4c layout type class Functions LOG4C_API const log4c_layout_type_t * log4c_layout_type_get (const char *a_name) LOG4C_API const log4c_layout_type_t * log4c_layout_type_set (const log4c_layout_type_t *a_type) LOG4C_API log4c_layout_t * log4c_layout_get (const char *a_name) LOG4C_API log4c_layout_t * log4c_layout_new (const char *a_name) LOG4C_API void log4c_layout_delete (log4c_layout_t *a_layout) LOG4C_API const char * log4c_layout_get_name (const log4c_layout_t *a_layout) LOG4C_API const log4c_layout_type_t * log4c_layout_get_type (const log4c_layout_t *a_layout) LOG4C_API const log4c_layout_type_t * log4c_layout_set_type (log4c_layout_t *a_layout, const log4c_layout_type_t *a_type) LOG4C_API void * log4c_layout_get_udata (const log4c_layout_t *a_layout) LOG4C_API void * log4c_layout_set_udata (log4c_layout_t *a_layout, void *a_udata) LOG4C_API const char * log4c_layout_format (const log4c_layout_t *a_layout, const log4c_logging_event_t *a_event) LOG4C_API void log4c_layout_print (const log4c_layout_t *a_layout, FILE *a_stream) LOG4C_API void log4c_layout_types_print (FILE *fp) Detailed Description Interface for user specific layout format of log4c_logging_event events. Todo the layout interface needs a better configuration system depending on the layout type. The udata field is a just a trick. Todo a pattern layout would be welcomed !! Define Documentation #define log4c_layout_type_define(a_type) Helper macro to define static layout types. Parameters: a_type the log4c_layout_type_t object to define Warning: needs GCC support: otherwise this macro does nothing Deprecated This macro, and the static initialialization of layouts in general, is deprecated. Use rather the log4c_layout_type_set() function to initialize your appenders before calling log4c_init() Typedef Documentation typedef struct __log4c_layout log4c_layout_t log4c layout class typedef struct log4c_layout_type log4c_layout_type_t log4c layout type class Attributes description: o name layout type name o format Function Documentation LOG4C_API void log4c_layout_delete (log4c_layout_t *a_layout) Destructor for layout. LOG4C_API const char* log4c_layout_format (const log4c_layout_t *a_layout, const log4c_logging_event_t *a_event) format a log4c_logging_event events to a string. Parameters: a_layout the log4c_layout_t object a_event a logging_event_t object Returns: an appendable string. LOG4C_API log4c_layout_t* log4c_layout_get (const char *a_name) Get a pointer to an existing layout. Parameters: a_name the name of the layout to return. Returns: a pointer to an existing layout, or NULL if no layout with the specfied name exists. LOG4C_API const char* log4c_layout_get_name (const log4c_layout_t *a_layout) Parameters: a_layout the log4c_layout_t object Returns: the layout name LOG4C_API const log4c_layout_type_t* log4c_layout_get_type (const log4c_layout_t *a_layout) Parameters: a_layout the log4c_layout_t object Returns: a log4c_layout_type_t object LOG4C_API void* log4c_layout_get_udata (const log4c_layout_t *a_layout) Parameters: a_layout the log4c_layout_t object Returns: the layout user data LOG4C_API log4c_layout_t* log4c_layout_new (const char *a_name) Constructor for layout. LOG4C_API void log4c_layout_print (const log4c_layout_t *a_layout, FILE *a_stream) prints the layout on a stream Parameters: a_layout the log4c_layout_t object a_stream the stream LOG4C_API const log4c_layout_type_t* log4c_layout_set_type (log4c_layout_t *a_layout, const log4c_layout_type_t *a_type) sets the layout type Parameters: a_layout the log4c_layout_t object a_type the new layout type Returns: the previous layout type LOG4C_API void* log4c_layout_set_udata (log4c_layout_t *a_layout, void *a_udata) sets the layout user data Parameters: a_layout the log4c_layout_t object a_udata the new layout user data Returns: the previous layout user data LOG4C_API const log4c_layout_type_t* log4c_layout_type_get (const char *a_name) Get a pointer to an existing layout type. Parameters: a_name the name of the layout type to return. Returns: a pointer to an existing layout type, or NULL if no layout type with the specified name exists. LOG4C_API const log4c_layout_type_t* log4c_layout_type_set (const log4c_layout_type_t *a_type) Use this function to register a layout type with log4c. Once this is done you may refer to this type by name both programatically and in the log4c configuration file. Parameters: a_type a pointer to the new layout type to set. Returns: a pointer to the previous layout type of same name. Example code fragment: const log4c_layout_type_t log4c_layout_type_xml = { 's13_xml', xml_format, }; log4c_layout_type_set(&log4c_layout_type_xml); LOG4C_API void log4c_layout_types_print (FILE *fp) prints all the current registered layout types on a stream Parameters: fp the stream Author Generated automatically by Doxygen for log4c from the source code. Version 1.2.1 Mon May 2 2011 layout.h(3)