Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: How to search file content
Operating Systems Linux How to search file content Post 302219220 by joeyg on Monday 28th of July 2008 12:46:40 PM
Old 07-28-2008
Tools grep is the command, but some things to think about..

When searching for a word --
Beware of how to differentiate between "word" and "sword"
One approach would be to search for " word " (note spaces before & after), but what if the line started with the "word"?
When search for a phrase --
Can it be split on multiple lines?
If so, you may need to remove <new-line> characters before the search to make sure all text is on the same line.

There are other considerations, but without seeing the sample datafile and your anticipated search pattern, it is hard to give any more thoughts.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to search content of file with timestamps in the directory

hello, i want to make a script to search the file contents in my home directory by a given date and output me the line that has the date... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: psychobeauty
10 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Search files with specfic extention and later search content

Hi, I would appriciate if somebody can help me figure out how to search for all the *.xml file under a specific directory and subdirectroies (/home/username) and later search of content "<start>" inside the xml file returned by search. -Lovin.V (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lovi_v
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search File content.

Hi, I have a problem when searching a file, the file containt with the following: 95671660:Jones:Sarah:45:sales manager 93272658:Smith:John:43:technical manager 98781987:Williams:Nick:35:computer officer 99893878:Brown:Sarah:12:electrician 95673456:Couch:David:26:chef... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: elenatec
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl search and replace file content.

I am not sure if this is doable. I am trying to open and print the content of the file by replacing all instances fo perl to PERL . This is my code but it is giving me the number count instead of the actual lines with changes. open (PERLHISTORY, 'sample.txt') or die "The file sample.txt could... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jxh461
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for string in filename, not file content

How can I search for a string in a filename? For example, I want to know if a filename (not the file contents) contains the string "test". (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: daflore
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using File Browser to search file content ...

Hello, I'm using rhel6. Using File Browser Nautilus 2.28.4 I could easily locate any file I'm interested in by it name. I'd like to use this File Browser to locate the file name based on it content e.g. based on some word in the text file. It doesn't work for me that way ... My question: does... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: susja
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to build Shell Script to search content of a text file into a folder consist several files

Have to read one file say sourcefile containing several words and having another folder containing several files. Now read the first word of Sourcefile & search it into the folder consisting sevral files, and create another file with result. We hhave to pick the filename of the file in which... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mukesh.baranwal
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

want to search some content of the file with specific to user

I have some users in one unix system and i want to search some files with specific to user and then i want to find some content inside that file so can u help me how we can implement it? File location is as below. /pools/home_unix/cmadireddy/work/models/model/ cmadireddy is user name. now... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lathigara
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching the content of one file using the search key of another file

I have two files: file 1: hello.com neo.com,japan.com,example.com news.net xyz.com, telecom.net, highlands.net, software.com example2.com earth.net, abc.gov.uk file 2: neo.com example.com abc.gov.uk file 2 are the search keys to search in file 1 if any of the search key is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: csim_mohan
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search the specific content from the complex file

Hi, I have a file with complex data without delimiter, have requirement to fetch the specific record based on some charcters. here is my file data ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Riverstone
12 Replies
UDM_SET_AGENT_PARAM(3)							 1						    UDM_SET_AGENT_PARAM(3)

udm_set_agent_param - Set mnoGoSearch agent session parameters

SYNOPSIS
bool udm_set_agent_param (resource $agent, int $var, string $val) DESCRIPTION
Defines mnoGoSearch session parameters. PARAMETERS
o $agent - A link to Agent, received after call to udm_alloc_agent(3). o $var - The following parameters and their values are available: o UDM_PARAM_PAGE_NUM - used to choose search results page number (results are returned by pages beginning from 0, with UDM_PARAM_PAGE_SIZE results per page). o UDM_PARAM_PAGE_SIZE - number of search results displayed on one page. o UDM_PARAM_SEARCH_MODE - search mode. The following values available: UDM_MODE_ALL - search for all words; UDM_MODE_ANY - search for any word; UDM_MODE_PHRASE - phrase search; UDM_MODE_BOOL - boolean search. See udm_find(3) for details on bool- ean search. o UDM_PARAM_CACHE_MODE - turns on or off search result cache mode. When enabled, the search engine will store search results to disk. In case a similar search is performed later, the engine will take results from the cache for faster performance. Available values: UDM_CACHE_ENABLED, UDM_CACHE_DISABLED. o UDM_PARAM_TRACK_MODE - turns on or off trackquery mode. Since version 3.1.2 mnoGoSearch has a query tracking support. Note that tracking is implemented in SQL version only and not available in built-in database. To use tracking, you have to cre- ate tables for tracking support. For MySQL, use create/mysql/track.txt. When doing a search, front-end uses those tables to store query words, a number of found documents and current Unix timestamp in seconds. Available values: UDM_TRACK_ENABLED, UDM_TRACK_DISABLED. o UDM_PARAM_PHRASE_MODE - defines whether index database using phrases ("phrase" parameter in indexer.conf). Possible values: UDM_PHRASE_ENABLED and UDM_PHRASE_DISABLED. Please note, that if phrase search is enabled ( UDM_PHRASE_ENABLED), it is still possible to do search in any mode ( ANY, ALL, BOOL or PHRASE). In 3.1.10 version of mnoGoSearch phrase search is sup- ported only in sql and built-in database modes, while beginning with 3.1.11 phrases are supported in cachemode as well. Examples of phrase search: "Arizona desert" - This query returns all indexed documents that contain "Arizona desert" as a phrase. Notice that you need to put double quotes around the phrase o UDM_PARAM_CHARSET - defines local charset. Available values: set of charsets supported by mnoGoSearch, e.g. koi8-r, cp1251, ... o UDM_PARAM_STOPFILE - Defines name and path to stopwords file. (There is a small difference with mnoGoSearch - while in mno- GoSearch if relative path or no path entered, it looks for this file in relation to UDM_CONF_DIR, the module looks for the file in relation to current path, i.e. to the path where the PHP script is executed.) o UDM_PARAM_STOPTABLE - Load stop words from the given SQL table. You may use several StopwordTable commands. This command has no effect when compiled without SQL database support. o UDM_PARAM_WEIGHT_FACTOR - represents weight factors for specific document parts. Currently body, title, keywords, descrip- tion, url are supported. To activate this feature please use degrees of 2 in *Weight commands of the indexer.conf. Let's imagine that we have these weights: BodyWeight 2 TitleWeight 4 KeywordWeight 8 DescWeight 16 ABCDE. Each digit is a factor for corresponding bit in word weight. For the given above weights configuration: D is a factor for weight 2 (BodyWeight bit) C is a factor for weight 4 (TitleWeight bit) B is a factor for weight 8 (KeywordWeight bit) A is a factor for weight 16 (DescWeight bit) UDM_PARAM_WEIGHT_FACTOR=00001 will search through URLs only. UDM_PARAM_WEIGHT_FACTOR=00100 will search through Titles only. UDM_PARAM_WEIGHT_FACTOR=11100 will search through Title,Keywords,Description but not through URL and Body. UDM_PARAM_WEIGHT_FACTOR=F9421 will search through: Keywords with factor 9 Title with factor 4 Body with factor 2 URL with factor 1 UDM_PARAM_WEIGHT_FACTOR variable is omitted, original weight value is taken to sort results. For a given above weight config- uration it means that document description has a most big weight 16. o UDM_PARAM_WORD_MATCH - word match. You may use this parameter to choose word match type. This feature works only in "sin- gle" and "multi" modes using SQL based and built-in database. It does not work in cachemode and other modes since they use word CRC and do not support substring search. Available values: UDM_MATCH_BEGIN - word beginning match; UDM_MATCH_END - word ending match; UDM_MATCH_WORD - whole word match; UDM_MATCH_SUBSTR - word substring match. o UDM_PARAM_MIN_WORD_LEN - defines minimal word length. Any word shorter this limit is considered to be a stopword. Please note that this parameter value is inclusive, i.e. if UDM_PARAM_MIN_WORD_LEN=3, a word 3 characters long will not be consid- ered a stopword, while a word 2 characters long will be. Default value is 1. o UDM_PARAM_ISPELL_PREFIXES - Possible values: UDM_PREFIXES_ENABLED and UDM_PREFIXES_DISABLED, that respectively enable or disable using prefixes. E.g. if a word "tested" is in search query, also words like "test", "testing", etc. Only suffixes are supported by default. Prefixes usually change word meanings, for example if somebody is searching for the word "tested" one hardly wants "untested" to be found. Prefixes support may also be found useful for site's spelling checking purposes. In order to enable ispell, you have to load ispell data with udm_load_ispell_data(3). o UDM_PARAM_CROSS_WORDS - enables or disables crosswords support. Possible values: UDM_CROSS_WORDS_ENABLED and UDM_CROSS_WORDS_DISABLED. The crosswords feature allows to assign words between <a href="xxx"> and </a> also to a document this link leads to. It works in SQL database mode and is not supported in built-in database and Cachemode. o UDM_PARAM_VARDIR - specifies a custom path to directory where indexer stores data when using built-in database and in cache mode. By default /var directory of mnoGoSearch installation is used. Can have only string values. o $val - CHANGELOG
+--------+-----------------------------+ |Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+-----------------------------+ | 4.1.0 | | | | | | | | | | UDM_PARAM_VARDIR was added. | | | | +--------+-----------------------------+ RETURN VALUES
Returns TRUE on success or FALSE on failure. NOTES
Note Crosswords are supported only in mnoGoSearch 3.1.11 or later. PHP Documentation Group UDM_SET_AGENT_PARAM(3)