Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: file system full
Operating Systems Solaris file system full Post 302199291 by melanie_pfefer on Monday 26th of May 2008 09:24:08 AM
Old 05-26-2008
What is the output from df -k

It shows 30 G free

Also can you print the actual error message you get.
file system full

df -k report filesystem disk space usage.better to use du -sh*|sort -nr or du -sk*|sort -nr to know which directory or file is using most of the space

I am not interested in the largest folder.

df also shows how much disk is free.
If you run du it will take ages to get a result.
Its a filesystem that is full, we are not trying to find which is the biggest directory

The file system is not full. It has 30G

My question is: why there is inconsistency between the dmesg output and df -k

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

file system full

When I try to log in as root I get the following message realloccg /: file system full sendmail :NO Queue:low on space (have 0,SMTP-DAEMON needs 101 in /var/spool/mqueue) What should I do? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hopeless
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Full File System

Hi All, There was a background process running on a Solaris 2.8 machine, and appeared to have filled all available disk-space. I done a killall, and upon re-booting found that the file system had filled up, and will not boot as normal as a result. For example, I'm getting /usr/adm/messages: No... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Breen
8 Replies

3. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

root file system full

Hi I have a Solaris 2.5.1 system. Recently my file system is full and i couldn't find what flood my root file system. Anyone can suggext any directories i should look out for. I am using Samba and Patrol agent. I am just usng this server as a file server, users cannot login into the system,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: owls
1 Replies

4. Solaris

File system full?

Hi, I just started working with UNIX on an old semi-fossilized Sun workstation which I use to process LOTS of images,however, I just started to get an error message that the file system is full and then my shell tool or/and text editor freeze up. Help? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bend
8 Replies

5. Solaris

Full file system?

I read the sticky and thought of a script I use on a regular basis. Since unless you patch/upgrade the df command on solaris you have a very tought time teling how full the system truly is. Output looks like $ biggest.sh /tmp Filesystem kbytes used avail capacity Mounted... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: meyerder
0 Replies

6. Solaris

file system full

I am receving following Error message in /var/adm/messages "NOTICE: alloc: /: file system full" Disk space usage is as beklow: df -k $ Filesystem kbytes used avail capacity Mounted on /dev/md/dsk/d10 76678257 56962561 18948914 76% / /proc ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Asteroid
8 Replies

7. Solaris

/ file system full issue

Hi All, This is Babu working as a system administrator. Here I am getting one problem with one of my Sun server's root (/) file system. In df -h command / file system showing 7.8 GB used space.But in du -hd command it showing 5.2 gb only. Please can any one help me resolve this issue... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lbreddy
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

/opt file system full !!!

Can anyone help me in cleaning /opt filesystem.. i have checked all the options and i have cleared all the logs and the total size of the files in /opt is shown as 1.8GB were as the size of /opt is 4.8GB but wen i run the command # df -h /opt it gives capacity 99% Please help... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: kjamsheed
17 Replies

9. Red Hat

File system full, but not really.

Hey all, What do you think mostly happened in the following situation? I have a Red Hat 5.5 server. Someone, somehow, managed to get two .nfs000.... type files that totaled over a terabyte in size. I removed them and thought things were back to normal. Then I started getting complains from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: geelsu
2 Replies
DF(1)									FSF								     DF(1)

NAME
df - report filesystem disk space usage SYNOPSIS
df [OPTION]... [FILE]... DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents the GNU version of df. df displays the amount of disk space available on the filesystem containing each file name argument. If no file name is given, the space available on all currently mounted filesystems is shown. Disk space is shown in 1K blocks by default, unless the environment variable POSIXLY_CORRECT is set, in which case 512-byte blocks are used. If an argument is the absolute file name of a disk device node containing a mounted filesystem, df shows the space available on that filesystem rather than on the filesystem containing the device node (which is always the root filesystem). This version of df cannot show the space available on unmounted filesystems, because on most kinds of systems doing so requires very nonportable intimate knowledge of filesystem structures. OPTIONS
Show information about the filesystem on which each FILE resides, or all filesystems by default. Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. -a, --all include filesystems having 0 blocks -B, --block-size=SIZE use SIZE-byte blocks -h, --human-readable print sizes in human readable format (e.g., 1K 234M 2G) -H, --si likewise, but use powers of 1000 not 1024 -i, --inodes list inode information instead of block usage -k like --block-size=1K -l, --local limit listing to local filesystems --no-sync do not invoke sync before getting usage info (default) -P, --portability use the POSIX output format --sync invoke sync before getting usage info -t, --type=TYPE limit listing to filesystems of type TYPE -T, --print-type print filesystem type -x, --exclude-type=TYPE limit listing to filesystems not of type TYPE -v (ignored) --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit SIZE may be (or may be an integer optionally followed by) one of following: kB 1000, K 1024, MB 1,000,000, M 1,048,576, and so on for G, T, P, E, Z, Y. AUTHOR
Written by Torbjorn Granlund, David MacKenzie, Larry McVoy, and Paul Eggert. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-coreutils@gnu.org>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2002 Free Software Foundation, Inc. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for df is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and df programs are properly installed at your site, the com- mand info df should give you access to the complete manual. df (coreutils) 4.5.3 February 2003 DF(1)