Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers sed command not work with variables? Post 302166837 by agn on Wednesday 13th of February 2008 12:55:57 AM
Old 02-13-2008
Variable interpolation won't work inside single quotes. Try using double quotes.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

assigning variables in sed command

I need to assign a variable within a variable in a sed command. I tried doing the following in c shell. set left = 1 set right = 2 set segment = qwerty sed -n -e "/$segment{$left}/,/$segment{$right}/p" file.txt what is wrong with this syntax? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wxornot
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

cd command doesn't work through variables

Hi.... cd command is not working when dual string drive/volume name is passed to cd through variables....... For Ex.... y=/Volumes/Backup\ vipin/ cd $y the above command gives error....... anyone with a genuine solution ? (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: vipinchauhan222
16 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Alternate work out for sed command

Iam trying to insert a line after #Cluster in the property file shown below #Node=Nodehostname:NodeProfilename Node=testNode:test_profile #Cluster=Cluster_Name:nodeName@ClusterMem1,nodeName@ClusterMem2,.... #DC=DCname:DCnodegrp:DCtemp DC=test_DC:test_NG:test_template i was using sed command... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: SSSB
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variables in SED command

Hi all, I want write a script to display 5rows at times from a input file. my out like: echo " display started" r1 r2 r3 r4 r5 ... Some action items... again i need next 5 lines. can you please advise. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: koti_rama
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command works on Fedora/Ubuntu, but doesn't work in Mac

Hi, I have a question. I define a function using sed command: replace() { searchterm=$1 replaceterm=$2 sed -e "s/$searchterm/$replaceterm/ig" $3 > $WORK'tempfile.tmp' mv $WORK'tempfile.tmp' $3 } Then I call replace 'test = 0' 'test = 1' $myfileThis code works well in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Dark2Bright
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command works on Fedora/Ubuntu, but doesn't work in Mac

Hi, I have a question. I define a function using sed command: replace() { searchterm=$1 replaceterm=$2 sed -e "s/$searchterm/$replaceterm/ig" $3 > $WORK'tempfile.tmp' mv $WORK'tempfile.tmp' $3 } Then I call replace 'test = 0' 'test = 1' $myfile This code... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Dark2Bright
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use variables in 'sed' append command?

HELLO!! I'm trying to pass a variable with in the 'sed' command (which would add some piece of code to file at a particular line). We can use sed '{line-number}a\ alfjaljf\ aslfjsfsjafl\ adlfjaf\' file.txt If file.txt is Now, I would like to add the parameter 'lmn' after... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mjavalkar
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed command does not work as expected

Why when I use this command do I get "E123"? echo NCE123 | sed -n 's/\(.*\)\(\{1,\}\{1,5\}\)\(.*\)/\2/p' But when I used this command, I get NCE123? echo NCE123 | sed -n 's/\(.*\)\(\{3\}\{1,5\}\)\(.*\)/\2/p' I thought \{1,\} would mean any number of characters and \{1,5\ would mean 1-5... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbie2010
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem getting sed to work with variables

Hello, I am processing text files looking for a string and replacing the first occurrence of the string with something else. For the text,id Name 1 methyl-(2-methylpropoxy)-oxoammonium 2 N-amino-N-(methylamino)-2-nitrosoethanamine 3 3-methoxy-3-methyloxazolidin-3-ium... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
12 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Help using combining variables with sed command (RHEL 7)

Here is the whole script, very simple, but I am just learning ROK_NO=$1 RPT=/tmp/test sed -E '/^SELECT/ s/(.{23}).{8}/\1'"$ROK_NO"' /' $RPT echo $RPT When I run this I get $ bash rok.sh 2388085 : No such file or directory /tmp/test When I type the command in console, it works... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: isey78
3 Replies
Encode::Alias(3pm)					 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					Encode::Alias(3pm)

NAME
Encode::Alias - alias definitions to encodings SYNOPSIS
use Encode; use Encode::Alias; define_alias( newName => ENCODING); DESCRIPTION
Allows newName to be used as an alias for ENCODING. ENCODING may be either the name of an encoding or an encoding object (as described in Encode). Currently newName can be specified in the following ways: As a simple string. As a qr// compiled regular expression, e.g.: define_alias( qr/^iso8859-(d+)$/i => '"iso-8859-$1"' ); In this case, if ENCODING is not a reference, it is "eval"-ed in order to allow $1 etc. to be substituted. The example is one way to alias names as used in X11 fonts to the MIME names for the iso-8859-* family. Note the double quotes inside the single quotes. (or, you don't have to do this yourself because this example is predefined) If you are using a regex here, you have to use the quotes as shown or it won't work. Also note that regex handling is tricky even for the experienced. Use this feature with caution. As a code reference, e.g.: define_alias( sub {shift =~ /^iso8859-(d+)$/i ? "iso-8859-$1" : undef } ); The same effect as the example above in a different way. The coderef takes the alias name as an argument and returns a canonical name on success or undef if not. Note the second argument is not required. Use this with even more caution than the regex version. Changes in code reference aliasing As of Encode 1.87, the older form define_alias( sub { return /^iso8859-(d+)$/i ? "iso-8859-$1" : undef } ); no longer works. Encode up to 1.86 internally used "local $_" to implement ths older form. But consider the code below; use Encode; $_ = "eeeee" ; while (/(e)/g) { my $utf = decode('aliased-encoding-name', $1); print "position:",pos," "; } Prior to Encode 1.86 this fails because of "local $_". Alias overloading You can override predefined aliases by simply applying define_alias(). The new alias is always evaluated first, and when necessary, define_alias() flushes the internal cache to make the new definition available. # redirect SHIFT_JIS to MS/IBM Code Page 932, which is a # superset of SHIFT_JIS define_alias( qr/shift.*jis$/i => '"cp932"' ); define_alias( qr/sjis$/i => '"cp932"' ); If you want to zap all predefined aliases, you can use Encode::Alias->undef_aliases; to do so. And Encode::Alias->init_aliases; gets the factory settings back. SEE ALSO
Encode, Encode::Supported perl v5.12.1 2010-04-26 Encode::Alias(3pm)