Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers sed command not work with variables? Post 302166837 by agn on Wednesday 13th of February 2008 12:55:57 AM
Old 02-13-2008
Variable interpolation won't work inside single quotes. Try using double quotes.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

assigning variables in sed command

I need to assign a variable within a variable in a sed command. I tried doing the following in c shell. set left = 1 set right = 2 set segment = qwerty sed -n -e "/$segment{$left}/,/$segment{$right}/p" file.txt what is wrong with this syntax? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wxornot
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

cd command doesn't work through variables

Hi.... cd command is not working when dual string drive/volume name is passed to cd through variables....... For Ex.... y=/Volumes/Backup\ vipin/ cd $y the above command gives error....... anyone with a genuine solution ? (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: vipinchauhan222
16 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Alternate work out for sed command

Iam trying to insert a line after #Cluster in the property file shown below #Node=Nodehostname:NodeProfilename Node=testNode:test_profile #Cluster=Cluster_Name:nodeName@ClusterMem1,nodeName@ClusterMem2,.... #DC=DCname:DCnodegrp:DCtemp DC=test_DC:test_NG:test_template i was using sed command... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: SSSB
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variables in SED command

Hi all, I want write a script to display 5rows at times from a input file. my out like: echo " display started" r1 r2 r3 r4 r5 ... Some action items... again i need next 5 lines. can you please advise. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: koti_rama
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command works on Fedora/Ubuntu, but doesn't work in Mac

Hi, I have a question. I define a function using sed command: replace() { searchterm=$1 replaceterm=$2 sed -e "s/$searchterm/$replaceterm/ig" $3 > $WORK'tempfile.tmp' mv $WORK'tempfile.tmp' $3 } Then I call replace 'test = 0' 'test = 1' $myfileThis code works well in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Dark2Bright
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command works on Fedora/Ubuntu, but doesn't work in Mac

Hi, I have a question. I define a function using sed command: replace() { searchterm=$1 replaceterm=$2 sed -e "s/$searchterm/$replaceterm/ig" $3 > $WORK'tempfile.tmp' mv $WORK'tempfile.tmp' $3 } Then I call replace 'test = 0' 'test = 1' $myfile This code... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Dark2Bright
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use variables in 'sed' append command?

HELLO!! I'm trying to pass a variable with in the 'sed' command (which would add some piece of code to file at a particular line). We can use sed '{line-number}a\ alfjaljf\ aslfjsfsjafl\ adlfjaf\' file.txt If file.txt is Now, I would like to add the parameter 'lmn' after... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mjavalkar
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed command does not work as expected

Why when I use this command do I get "E123"? echo NCE123 | sed -n 's/\(.*\)\(\{1,\}\{1,5\}\)\(.*\)/\2/p' But when I used this command, I get NCE123? echo NCE123 | sed -n 's/\(.*\)\(\{3\}\{1,5\}\)\(.*\)/\2/p' I thought \{1,\} would mean any number of characters and \{1,5\ would mean 1-5... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbie2010
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem getting sed to work with variables

Hello, I am processing text files looking for a string and replacing the first occurrence of the string with something else. For the text,id Name 1 methyl-(2-methylpropoxy)-oxoammonium 2 N-amino-N-(methylamino)-2-nitrosoethanamine 3 3-methoxy-3-methyloxazolidin-3-ium... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
12 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Help using combining variables with sed command (RHEL 7)

Here is the whole script, very simple, but I am just learning ROK_NO=$1 RPT=/tmp/test sed -E '/^SELECT/ s/(.{23}).{8}/\1'"$ROK_NO"' /' $RPT echo $RPT When I run this I get $ bash rok.sh 2388085 : No such file or directory /tmp/test When I type the command in console, it works... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: isey78
3 Replies
unifdef(1)							   User Commands							unifdef(1)

NAME
unifdef - resolve and remove ifdef'ed lines from C program source SYNOPSIS
unifdef [-clt] [-Dname] [-Uname] [-iDname] [-iUname] ... [filename] DESCRIPTION
unifdef removes ifdefed lines from a file while otherwise leaving the file alone. It is smart enough to deal with the nested ifdefs, com- ments, single and double quotes of C syntax, but it does not do any including or interpretation of macros. Neither does it strip out com- ments, though it recognizes and ignores them. You specify which symbols you want defined with -D options, and which you want undefined with -U options. Lines within those ifdefs will be copied to the output, or removed, as appropriate. Any ifdef, ifndef, else, and endif lines associated with filename will also be removed. ifdefs involving symbols you do not specify are untouched and copied out along with their associated ifdef, else, and endiff1 lines. If an ifdefX occurs nested inside another ifdefX, then the inside ifdef is treated as if it were an unrecognized symbol. If the same symbol appears in more than one argument, only the first occurrence is significant. unifdef copies its output to the standard output and will take its input from the standard input if no filename argument is given. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -c Complement the normal operation. Lines that would have been removed or blanked are retained, and vice versa. -l Replace ``lines removed'' lines with blank lines. -t Plain text option. unifdef refrains from attempting to recognize comments and single and double quotes. -Dname Lines associated with the defined symbol name. -Uname Lines associated with the undefined symbol name. -iDname Ignore, but print out, lines associated with the defined symbol name. If you use ifdefs to delimit non-C lines, such as comments or code which is under construction, then you must tell unifdef which symbols are used for that purpose so that it will not try to parse for quotes and comments within them. -iUname Ignore, but print out, lines associated with the undefined symbol name. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful operation. 1 Operation failed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWbtool | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
diff(1), attributes(5) DIAGNOSTICS
Premature EOF Inappropriate else or endif. SunOS 5.11 14 Jan 1992 unifdef(1)