Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Count occurances of a character in a file Post 302153261 by drl on Monday 24th of December 2007 06:53:22 AM
Old 12-24-2007
Hi, Shivdatta.

Do you wish to count occurrences of all characters or of a specific character? ... cheers, drl

Last edited by drl; 12-24-2007 at 08:02 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find occurances of a directory and count

I am writing my first shell script to do the following: Find all occurrences of a directory from the pwd Delete the directory (which is a hidden directory) Provide feedback w/ the number of directories deleted The problems I am having are two-fold: The user may not have the appropriate... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stringman
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

count the number chracters occurances in a line

Hi Could anybody tell me how to count the number of occurances of a character within a LINE. actually i have a single line with words seperated with '+' chracter e.g. abc+def+ghj+jkl+asd i want to separte the words above. Please provide the necessary logic in the form of a SHELL... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: skyineyes
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Count occurances in a file

Hi, I have a fixed width file in the following format Sr.No A.No Name 1 2 PPP 3 4 PPP 5 6 TTT 7 8 OOO 9 10 OOO 11 12 OOO The 3rd column starts at position 10 and ends at 15. I want to count the number of occurances of each Name and output to a file Example in the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: samit_9999
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging lines based on occurances of a particular character in a file

Hi, Is there any way to merge two lines based on specific occurance of a character in a file. I am having a flat file which contains multiple records. Each row in the file should contain specified number of delimiter. For a particular row , if the delimiter count is not matched with... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohan_tuty
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count occurances of X Y Z in a file in 1 go.

Hi. I need to count multiple occurrences of X Y Z in a file in 1 go. At the moment I have the following scripts: ssh readonly@$ServerIP 'YEAR=xx;DAY=xx;MONTH=xx;LMONTH=xx;for i in 00 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13 14 15 \ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23; do cat... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: msullivan
13 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to count number of occurances of string in a file?

Gurus, Need little guidance. I have A.txt and B.txt file. B.txt file contains Unique strings. Sample content of B.txt file for which i cut the fourth column uniquely and output directed to B.txt file And A.txt file contains the above string as a fourth column which is last column. So A.txt... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shirisha
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace multiple occurances of same character with a single character.

Hi all, Greetings, I have the following scenario, The contents of main file are like : Unix|||||forum|||||||||||||||is||||||the||best so||||||be|||||on||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||it And i need the output in the following form: Unix=forum=is=the=best so=be=on=it ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dipanchandra
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace first 3 occurances of a character in a file for each line

Hi all, I am very new to unix - ksh. I want to replace some characters in a file with some other, but only for first three occurances for each line. For eg: the first 3 occurances character ']' has to be replaced with ',' in each line. Please help. thanks Sreejith (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rsreejithmenon
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count the occurances of numbers

I have a file as shown below. I need to count the unique occurrences of numbers in the first and second column only if the third column is <= 10. Otherwise print the corresponding numbers as zero. Thanks in advance!:) 58 80 40.74 76 80 9.78 76 80 8 12 6 9 30 28 8.23 45 12 ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: andreaalex
13 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Grep pattern file and count occurances

Guys I am trying grep to read from pattern file and count occurances of each word. input is firstplace secondplace secondpot patternfile is place first second i want the following. 1-count number of times keywords in patternfile occurs in begining of each line in input file. so... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahfze
12 Replies
auditmask(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      auditmask(8)

Name
       auditmask - get or set auditmasks

Syntax
       auditmask [ option ...  ] [ event[:succeed:fail]

Description
       The  command  with  no  arguments displays the system-calls and trusted-events currently being audited for the system, and displays whether
       they are being audited under successful or failed occurrences or both.  The format used for the display is acceptable as input to the  com-
       mand.

The command with event arguments sets the system-call and trusted-event audit masks for the system.  This is cumulative operation, so it is
       possible to turn on or off audit for one set of events, then turn on or off audit for a second set of events without changing the first set
       of  events (except for intersection between the two sets).  Command line arguments to can include one or more events, each with an optional
       field :succeed:fail, where succeed is either 0 to specify no auditing of successful occurrences of event, or 1 (or any non-zero	character)
       to specify auditing of successful occurrences of event; and fail is either 0 to specify no auditing of failed occurrences of event or 1 (or
       any non-zero character) to specify auditing of failed occurrences of event.  The event name is the system-call name  or	the  trusted-event
       name (see audit.h ).

The command will also accept redirected input, which can be the output of a previously issued command.  This is a file which contains lines
       of the format event [succeed][fail].  If the keyword succeed is present, successful occurrences of that event will be audited; if the  key-
       word  fail  is  present,  failed  occurrences of that event will be audited; if both are present, successful and failed occurrences will be
       audited; if neither keyword is present, that event will not be audited.

The auditmask command can also be used to set the audit style characteristics of the audit subsystem.  These  characteristics  control  how
       much information is recorded on exec operations.

The  command  is  used in to initialize the auditmask at boot time according to the file This makes use of privileged operations within the
       system call.

Options
       -f	   Turns on full auditing for the system.  This list may include events which have no symbolic name and are represented only by  a
		   number (reserved for future use); these events will not be audited, despite their presence in the auditmask.

-n	   Turns off all auditing for the system.

-s aud_style
		   An  aud_style  of  "exec_argp" enables the auditing of the argument list to an or syscall.  An aud_style of "exec_envp" enables
		   the auditing of the environment strings to an or syscall.

See Also
       audcntl(2)

auditmask(8)