Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Passing Value from Shell to Perl Post 302143936 by porter on Monday 5th of November 2007 12:30:38 PM
Old 11-05-2007
The four primary ways of inputting some to a program (no matter the language the program is written in)

(a) command line argument, like your file argument

(b) environment variables, typically need to export from a shell script

(c) as stdin, basically the input stream to a program

(d) as a generic file, where the program looks for well-known files.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing variable to perl

I need a non-perl (bash) way to strip the path from a list of "find" results. Below is the perl version which I could use, if I could figure out how to call the script with a variable (like in sh, $1 is the variable passed in ./script variable) $file = "/path/to/file.txt"; # How do I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheCrunge
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help passing variables in shell script to perl one-liner

I'm writing a script to automate some post-install tasks on RHEL4 servers. I need the following code to insert an 'A' in the middle of a string, then replace the string in a file. I know I can use sed to do this, but I'd like to use perl's in place edit so I don't have to write to a temp file,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Xek
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing a file handler and an array from Perl to Shell Script

Hi there, I am trying to call a shell script from a Perl script. here is the code: @args = ("sh", "someshellprg.sh", "a file handler", "an array"); system(@args) == 0 or die "system @args failed: $?"; in the shell program, I examine if the arguments exits using: if then echo... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinkgladiator
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing a hash to another script in perl

I have a script (say script1.sh ) and I am calling a script (say script2.sh) within the script1.sh. Here in script1.sh I have a hash ( say %hash1) and i have to pass this hash to script2.sh. Basically i have to do some processing in Scirpt2.sh based on the hash(key,values). I wanted to know how can... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ammu
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing arguments to Perl Function

Hi All, I am trying to pass an argument called "Pricelist" to a Perl function, then the function will open and print out the contents of the file named "Pricelist". But i can't seem to do it using my below code. Can any expert give some advice? #!/usr/local/bin/perl $DATABASE =... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Raynon
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing date formats in Perl: i.e. Jul/10/2007 -> 20070710 (yyyymmdd) - Perl

Hi , This script working for fine if pass script-name.sh Jul/10/2007 ,I want to pass 20070710(yyyymmdd) .Please any help it should be appereciated. use Time::Local; my $d = $ARGV; my $t = $ARGV; my $m = ""; @d = split /\//, $d; @t = split /:/, $t; if ( $d eq "Jan" ) { $m = 0 }... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: akil
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing perl variable to shell command

Can we pass perl variable to shell commands. If yes, please give some example. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anjan1
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing PERL var values to SH Shell Script

Greetings all, If I have a SH script that calls a PERL script in the following way: perl $HOME/scripts/config.properties And in the config.properties PERL file, this Perl script only sets a number of environmental parameters in the following way: #!/usr/bin/perl $VAR1 = ( ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gikyo12
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problems passing shell arguments to perl

Semi-newbie, so flame throwers to 'singe-only', please. ;-) I have a large number of (say) .html files, where I'd like to do a recursive in-place search and replace a particular string. The following bit of perl works fine: perl -pi -e 's/oldstring/newstring/g' `find ./ -name *.html` ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnny_canucl
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting shell to Perl I run into shell built in function trap and need alternative in Perl

I am working on converting shell to Perl script. In shell we have built in function trap Do you know alternative in Perl or actually we don't need it? Thanks for contribution (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: digioleg54
3 Replies
MIXAL(1)							Mixal user's manual							  MIXAL(1)

NAME
mixal - a load-and-go MIX assembler SYNOPSIS
mixal [ file ... ] DESCRIPTION
Mixal is an implementation of the hypothetical MIX computer and its assembly language called MIXAL. The computer was designed by Donald Knuth for use in his monumental and yet to be finished book series The Art of Computer Programming. All programs and all programming exer- cises in the book are written in the MIXAL language. This implementation is a load-and-go assembler, meaning that you provide it with a MIXAL program source, which it translates into MIX machine code, which it promptly executes by acting as a MIX emulator. You give Mixal zero or more program source files in the command line, which the program interprets. If you give it no arguments, it expects to find a program in the standard input stream. After the program has executed, the final state of the machine registers are printed to the standard output stream. The card punch and line printer devices are connected to the standard input and output stream, respectively. Console input and output are connected to standard input and output, and the disk devices are connected to files named diskN in the current directory, where N is the device number. Those files are created on demand. BUGS
This MIXAL implementation does not do floating-point. The tape devices are not implemented. AUTHOR
This MIXAL implementation was designed and written by Darius Bacon, and then ported to Unixish systems and debugged by Eric S. Raymond. This version includes corrections to multiplication and division by Larry Gately. This manual page was written for Debian by Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho, with changes by Darius Bacon. SEE ALSO
The files /usr/share/doc/mixal/READ.ME and /usr/share/doc/mixal/NOTES.gz contain some information about this MIXAL implementation. Be sure to read /usr/share/doc/mixal/README.Debian, too. A description of the MIX system and the MIXAL language can be found in Donald E. Knuth's book The Art of Computer Programming, Volume 1: Fundamental Algorithms; 3rd Edition (Addison-Wesley 1997). (Or see the home page at http://www-cs-faculty.stan- ford.edu/%7Eknuth/taocp.html.) Debian project 18 May 2003 MIXAL(1)