Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: echo using single quotes
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting echo using single quotes Post 302142636 by chella on Monday 29th of October 2007 12:54:42 AM
Old 10-29-2007
Thank You for the reply.

But still I am not able to get the required output.

echo 'shouldn\'t this work fine?'

when I tried the above statement it asks to use another single quote at the end.

Please help me.

Regards,
Chella

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Double quotes or single quotes when using ssh?

I'm not very familiar with the ssh command. When I tried to set a variable and then echo its value on a remote machine via ssh, I found a problem. For example, $ ITSME=itsme $ ssh xxx.xxxx.xxx.xxx "ITSME=itsyou; echo $ITSME" itsme $ ssh xxx.xxxx.xxx.xxx 'ITSME=itsyou; echo $ITSME' itsyou $... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: password636
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

echo is striping mah quotes

As the title says, echo is striping my quotes and I need them. echo "<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>" returns: <?xml version=1.0 encoding=ISO-8859-1?> Obviously, echo "<?xml version=\"1.0\" encoding=\"ISO-8859-1\"?>" returns the result I need: <?xml version="1.0"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: s_becker
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Single quotes and double quotes

Hi guys, I have a sed line in double quotes which works fine, but I want it to be in single quotes here is the sed line sed "/abc_def/s/\'.*\'/\'\${abc_def}\'/" can some one give the equivalent to the above script in single quotes Thanks a ton (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sol_nov
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl echo with double quotes

I need to echo a string that has double quotes in a Perl script. #!/usr/bin/env perl `echo Rule123 -comment \"blah blah\" >> $filename` I'd like to get below appended to $filename: Rule 123 -comment "blah blah" But instead, the double quotes are lost: Rule 123 -comment blah bah ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: slchin
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with echo inserting single quotes

Consider the following script: #!/bin/bash exclude='Archive PST,SystemState' IFS=$"," rsyncExclusions=$(for exclude in ${exclude}; do echo -n -e --exclude=\"${exclude}\"\ ; done) unset IFS echo rsync $rsyncExclusions test rsync -avh --delete --delete-excluded "$rsyncExclusions"... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jelloir
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep single quotes or double quotes

Unix superusers, I am new to unix but would like to learn more about grep. I am very familiar with regular expressions as i have used them for searching text files in windows based text editors. Since I am not very familiar with Unix, I dont understand when one should use GREP with the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: george_vandelet
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace single quote with two single quotes in perl

Hi I want to replace single quote with two single quotes in a perl string. If the string is <It's Simpson's book> It should become <It''s Simpson''s book> (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DushyantG
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Having a terrible problem with quotes/single quotes!

Hello. I'm trying to write a bash script that uses GNU screen and have hit a brick wall that has cost me many hours... (I'm sure it has something to do with quoting/globbing, which is why I post it here) I can make a script that does the following just fine: test.sh: #!/bin/bash # make... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jondecker76
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to echo single quotes inside awk

# echo 'export HISTFILE=/var/log/history/history_$(uname -n)_$(date +%Y:%b:%d:%H:%M)_$(who am i | awk '{print \$1}')' >> new_file # # cat new_file export HISTFILE=/var/log/history/history_$(uname -n)_$(date +%Y:%b:%d:%H:%M)_$(who am i | awk {print $1}) # Now how to echo the quotes around the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue with Single Quotes and Double Quotes for prompt PS1

Hi, Trying to change the prompt. I have the following code. export PS1=' <${USER}@`hostname -s`>$ ' The hostname is not displayed <abc@`hostname -s`>$ uname -a AIX xyz 1 6 00F736154C00 <adcwl4h@`hostname -s`>$ If I use double quotes, then the hostname is printed properly but... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobbygsk
3 Replies
OCI_PARSE(3)															      OCI_PARSE(3)

oci_parse - Prepares an Oracle statement for execution

SYNOPSIS
resource oci_parse (resource $connection, string $sql_text) DESCRIPTION
Prepares $sql_text using $connection and returns the statement identifier, which can be used with oci_bind_by_name(3), oci_execute(3) and other functions. Statement identifiers can be freed with oci_free_statement(3) or by setting the variable to NULL. PARAMETERS
o $connection - An Oracle connection identifier, returned by oci_connect(3), oci_pconnect(3), or oci_new_connect(3). o $sql_text - The SQL or PL/SQL statement. SQL statements should not end with a semi-colon (";"). PL/SQL statements should end with a semi- colon (";"). RETURN VALUES
Returns a statement handle on success, or FALSE on error. EXAMPLES
Example #1 oci_parse(3) example for SQL statements <?php $conn = oci_connect('hr', 'welcome', 'localhost/XE'); // Parse the statement. Note there is no final semi-colon in the SQL statement $stid = oci_parse($conn, 'SELECT * FROM employees'); oci_execute($stid); echo "<table border='1'> "; while ($row = oci_fetch_array($stid, OCI_ASSOC+OCI_RETURN_NULLS)) { echo "<tr> "; foreach ($row as $item) { echo " <td>" . ($item !== null ? htmlentities($item, ENT_QUOTES) : "&nbsp;") . "</td> "; } echo "</tr> "; } echo "</table> "; ?> Example #2 oci_parse(3) example for PL/SQL statements <?php /* Before running the PHP program, create a stored procedure in SQL*Plus or SQL Developer: CREATE OR REPLACE PROCEDURE myproc(p1 IN NUMBER, p2 OUT NUMBER) AS BEGIN p2 := p1 * 2; END; */ $conn = oci_connect('hr', 'welcome', 'localhost/XE'); if (!$conn) { $e = oci_error(); trigger_error(htmlentities($e['message'], ENT_QUOTES), E_USER_ERROR); } $p1 = 8; // When parsing PL/SQL programs, there should be a final semi-colon in the string $stid = oci_parse($conn, 'begin myproc(:p1, :p2); end;'); oci_bind_by_name($stid, ':p1', $p1); oci_bind_by_name($stid, ':p2', $p2, 40); oci_execute($stid); print "$p2 "; // prints 16 oci_free_statement($stid); oci_close($conn); ?> NOTES
Note This function does not validate $sql_text. The only way to find out if $sql_text is a valid SQL or PL/SQL statement is to execute it. SEE ALSO
oci_execute(3), oci_free_statement(3). PHP Documentation Group OCI_PARSE(3)