Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: How to check for hidden file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to check for hidden file Post 302135106 by Raynon on Thursday 6th of September 2007 02:07:51 AM
Old 09-06-2007
So does it mean that "total 0" means no alias ?

$ ls -lAs
total 0
$

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

File and Directory Names become hidden

Something very weird has been happening when I'm creating files and directories. When I create a directory, at times depending on the directory name and depth, it becomes hidden and can only be seen typing "ls -a". When I say the name of the directory matters, "my_c++" will be hidden but using... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: dbinsol1
10 Replies

2. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Make a Hidden File

How to make a file Hidden whose name does not starts with . (dot) (sorry i am beginner) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gandhevinod
1 Replies

3. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

How to make a file Hidden

Please tell me how to make a file hidden whose name is not starting with (.) dot ( Sorry I am Biginer) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gandhevinod
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

change file type to hidden using chmod command

I want to make a hidden file with chmod command. Example: I have a file name inputfile.txt -rw-r--r-- 1 xxxxxx xxxxxx 1388 Sep 12 05:41 inputfile.txt I want to hide that file using chmod command. Please tell me if it is possible or there is some other way to do this. Thanks... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rinku
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding Hidden files and protecting the folder containing hidden files from deletion

Hi. I have a script which is deleting files with a particular extension and older than 45 days.The code is: find <path> -name "<filename_pattern>" -mtime +45 -exec rm {} \; But the problem is that some important files are also getting deleted.To prevent this I have decide to make a dummy... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pochaw
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Locating a hidden file

it seems one of my server's account was compromised. I caught a perl script running a hack/attack script: 20:23 /usr/bin/perl ./up **.**.**.** 0 120 I've disabled the user etc, but I cannot find the script "up" anywhere in the server. I tried using locate or find. any ideas? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MaRiOsGR
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

List all directories hidden or not hidden

I want to list all directories hidden or not hidden. ls -ld */ => shows only not hidden directories so i guess the answer would be to add the a option to show all files ls -lad */ => not working :confused: ls -la | grep "^d" => works But I would like to know why I can't use ls -lad... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: servus
4 Replies

8. Programming

Perl scripting help for hidden file

Hi There, Can anyone please let me know, how to write hidden file in perl? I tried opning hidden file in write mode but its failing to create it. Appreciate your help in this. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ps_tech
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rsync - how to copy hidden folder or hidden files when using full path

Hello. I use this command : rsync -av --include=".*" --dry-run "$A_FULL_PATH_S" "$A_FULL_PATH_D"The data comes from the output of a find command. And no full source directories are in use, only some files. Source example... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
2 Replies
NEWFS_MSDOS(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					    NEWFS_MSDOS(8)

NAME
newfs_msdos -- construct a new MS-DOS (FAT) file system SYNOPSIS
newfs_msdos [-N] [-B boot] [-F FAT-type] [-I volid] [-O OEM] [-S sector-size] [-a FAT-size] [-b block-size] [-c cluster-size] [-e dirents] [-f format] [-h heads] [-i info] [-k backup] [-m media] [-n FATs] [-o hidden] [-r reserved] [-s total] [-u track-size] [-v volume-name] special [disktype] DESCRIPTION
The newfs_msdos utility creates a FAT12, FAT16, or FAT32 file system on device special, using disktab(5) entry disktype to determine geome- try, if required. The options are as follow: -N Don't create a file system: just print out parameters. -B boot Get bootstrap from file. -F FAT-type FAT type (one of 12, 16, or 32). -I volid Volume ID. -O OEM OEM string (up to 8 characters). The default is "BSD 4.4". -S sector-size Number of bytes per sector. Acceptable values are powers of 2 in the range 128 through 32768. -a FAT-size Number of sectors per FAT. -b block-size File system block size (bytes per cluster). This should resolve to an acceptable number of sectors per cluster (see below). -c cluster-size Sectors per cluster. Acceptable values are powers of 2 in the range 1 through 128. -e dirents Number of root directory entries (FAT12 and FAT16 only). -f format Specify a standard (floppy disk) format. The eight standard formats are (capacities in kilobytes): 160, 180, 320, 360, 640, 720, 1200, 1232, 1440, 2880. -h heads Number of drive heads. -i info Location of the file system info sector (FAT32 only). A value of 0xffff signifies no info sector. -k backup Location of the backup boot sector (FAT32 only). A value of 0xffff signifies no backup sector. -m media Media descriptor (acceptable range 0xf0 to 0xff). -n FATs Number of FATs. Acceptable values are 1 to 16 inclusive. The default is 2. -o hidden Number of hidden sectors. -r reserved Number of reserved sectors. -s total File system size. -u track-size Number of sectors per track. -v volume-name Volume name (filesystem name), up to 11 characters. The name should consist of only those characters permitted in regular DOS (8+3) filenames. NOTES
FAT file system parameters occupy a "Boot Sector BPB (BIOS Parameter Block)" in the first of the "reserved" sectors which precede the actual file system. For reference purposes, this structure is presented below. struct bsbpb { u_int16_t bps; /* [-S] bytes per sector */ u_int8_t spc; /* [-c] sectors per cluster */ u_int16_t res; /* [-r] reserved sectors */ u_int8_t nft; /* [-n] number of FATs */ u_int16_t rde; /* [-e] root directory entries */ u_int16_t sec; /* [-s] total sectors */ u_int8_t mid; /* [-m] media descriptor */ u_int16_t spf; /* [-a] sectors per FAT */ u_int16_t spt; /* [-u] sectors per track */ u_int16_t hds; /* [-h] drive heads */ u_int32_t hid; /* [-o] hidden sectors */ u_int32_t bsec; /* [-s] big total sectors */ }; /* FAT32 extensions */ struct bsxbpb { u_int32_t bspf; /* [-a] big sectors per FAT */ u_int16_t xflg; /* control flags */ u_int16_t vers; /* file system version */ u_int32_t rdcl; /* root directory start cluster */ u_int16_t infs; /* [-i] file system info sector */ u_int16_t bkbs; /* [-k] backup boot sector */ }; EXAMPLES
newfs_msdos /dev/disk0s1 Create a file system, using default parameters, on /dev/disk0s1. newfs_msdos -f 1440 -v foo fd0 Create a standard 1.44M file system, with volume name "foo", on /dev/fd0. SEE ALSO
fdisk(8), mount(8) DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is 0 on success and 1 on error. HISTORY
The newfs_msdos command appeared in FreeBSD 3.0. AUTHORS
Robert Nordier <rnordier@FreeBSD.org>. BSD
July 6, 1998 BSD