Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Crontab cannot run by non-root user Post 302132743 by kwliew999 on Sunday 19th of August 2007 11:47:17 PM
Old 08-20-2007
Crontab cannot run by non-root user

Good morning everybody. I have just receiedv a complaint from our DBA saying that if he create a scripts to run some Oracle performance scripts using crontab and the scheduling part is ok but the job is failed when I checked on /var/adm/cron/log.
I have tried his scripts using Oracle id directly run on shell and everything is ok. But when I set the cron job and the job will fail.
Question :
1) How to check what is the error message for the cron job failed? When I check the log, the only thing it showed is "failed" with no reason.
2) I have also done the checking on whether Oracle is able to run the cron job by checking on cron.allow and cron.deny. Both are ok. I also check on /etc/security/user file whether the deamon of oracle is on "true" and yes, it is. And Oracle is also having sub-group of cron group.
So, is there anything else I can check to find out why the cron job failed?

Tq in advance.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

run a script on logout by a non-root user

hi , i need to run a script that delete files when i logout as a user other than root user . I have tried out using .bash_logout but that doesnt seem to work , so any alternative for this to be done. Thanks in advance, Harsha (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: harsha10
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to allow access to some commands having root privleges to be run bu non root user

hi i am new to unix and i have abig task. i have to \run particular commands having root privileges from a non root user. i know sudo is one of the way but i need sum other approach kindly help Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: suryashikha
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

If user has own crontab, results in accumulation of root CRON processes

Hello, I seem to be having a problem with accumulation of root CRON jobs occuring when I have a user's cron job(s) running. Here is an example of a user's crontab file: */1 * * * * echo "hello" > /dev/nullps aux|grep CRON root 14333 0.0 0.0 91236 2172 ? S ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Narnie
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get current logged in user from a script run as root.

Ok, so, in order to install some dependencies of a program I made, a script has to be run as root. The thing is that I have to copy some things into the home folder of currently logged in user, but the variable $HOME returns '/root' and the $USER returns 'root' :( Is there any way to see who is... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Editing crontab of non-root user from file

Hi All, Ref: "build crontab from a text file" in same forum. (I am not allowed to post URL's in the first post) We are reorganizing our UNIX Crontab file by first making changes in a word pad text file. The intent is to then copy it back to Crontab. Will this work? Copy and Paste does not... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nivedhitha
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to run a bash script that logs on as a non-root user and runs script as root

So I have a script that runs as a non-root user, lets say the username is 'xymon' . This script needs to log on to a remote system as a non-root user also and call up a bash script that runs another bash script as root. in short: user xymon on system A needs to run a file as root user and have... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: damang111
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Bad user root in crontab

Hi everyone, I got error which is "!bad user (root)" in crontab... I tried changing password, I checked etc/cron/cron.allow and cron.deny, And also I checked the permissions of my files, its(my crontab script) still not working.... Please help... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ijustneeda
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to run commands as root user

Hello I have a script which is working fine so far to generate HTML file. Now i am wondering how do i include a syntax where it can change itself to root user and execute a specific commands as root user. Please help, Thanks in advance. -Siddhesh (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siddheshk
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to run script automatically on reboot as root user?

Hi friends,,, I am running one server on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 32-bit, some times my pc restarts automatically, with no reason, I have a script to start server which requires root password. in this directory /myserver/start_server.sh How can I do this ? and some scripts I am having that I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Akshay Hegde
1 Replies

10. AIX

List of AIX commands that can be run by ROOT user ONLY

Hello, I am testing sudo and I want to test it. Can anyone please let me know few commands (of course other than shutdown, reboot etc. as I can't reboot the box) on AIX that can be run by ROOT only. Thanks ---------- Post updated at 07:43 PM ---------- Previous update was at 07:38 PM... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
5 Replies