Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting only uppercase first character? Post 302118507 by ghostdog74 on Tuesday 22nd of May 2007 12:14:52 PM
Old 05-22-2007
if you have python here's an alternative:
Code:
# echo "astring"  | python -c "print raw_input().capitalize()"
Astring

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting to Uppercase

I want to convert string into uppercase string. How can i do that ? Ex: Enter the user name: read name show=upper(name) echo $show --- This output should be the uppercase output. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dreams5617
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Conversion to uppercase - tr

Hi, I am trying to convert the $i in loop from lower to upper case but getting error like ' awk: 0602-502 The statement cannot be correctly parsed. The source line is 1.' .. Requirement: I have many table in script XXX.sql which starting with 'ABC_','AbC_','aBc_' etc.. same thing for table... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: subrat
2 Replies

3. AIX

Lowercase to Uppercase

Inside a script I have 2 variables COMP=cy and PT=t. further down the same script I require at the same line to call those 2 variables the first time uppercase and after lowercase ${COMP}${PT}ACE,${COMP}${PT}ace. Can somebody help me Thanks in advance George Govotsis (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ggovotsis
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

uppercase to lowercase

i have no variable and no file i just want to convert AJIT to ajit with some command in UNIX can anybody help (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajit.yadav83
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UPPERCASE to lowercase

Hi All, i have a file and i want to convert all uppercase letters to lowercase letters which are in my file. how can i do this. Thanx (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: temhem
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Uppercase/lowercase comparison of one character per line with awk??

Another frustrating scripting problem from a biologist trying to manipulate a file with several millions line. For each of the line I need to compare the uppercase A or C or G or T with the lowercase a or c or g or t. If there are more uppercases, a + should be added to a new column, otherwise a -... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ivpz
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change to uppercase

Hi I have a string(can be mix of upper and lower case) and need the first three chars of the string to be converted to uppercase (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Northpole
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Make the first character uppercase

Input: hello world monkey Output should be: Hello World Monkey How can it be done with perl,sed,awk or bash? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: cola
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

making the first character of word using uppercase using awk and sed

I want to make the first character of some words to be uppercase. I have a file like the one below. uid,givenname,sn,cn,mail,telephonenumber mattj,matt,johnson,matt johnson,mattj@gmail.com markv,mark,vennet,matt s vennet,markv@gmail.com mikea,mike,austi,mike austin,mike@gmail.com I want... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: matt12
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Uppercase to lowercase

Hello, I have a list of files in a directory whose names are all in uppercasse, including the file format for eg *.MP3 . I would like to convert these to the normal way we write it ie ABC.MP3 to be converted to Abc.mp3 . I know that this can be done manually by using a lot of "mv" or rename... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayram
6 Replies
PYTHON-CONFIG(1)					      General Commands Manual						  PYTHON-CONFIG(1)

NAME
python-config - output build options for python C/C++ extensions or embedding SYNOPSIS
python-config [ --prefix ] [ --exec-prefix ] [ --includes ] [ --libs ] [ --cflags ] [ --ldflags ] [ --extension-suffix ] [ --configdir ] [ --help ] DESCRIPTION
python-config helps compiling and linking programs, which embed the Python interpreter, or extension modules that can be loaded dynamically (at run time) into the interpreter. OPTIONS
--cflags print the C compiler flags. --ldflags print the flags that should be passed to the linker. --includes similar to --cflags but only with -I options (path to python header files). --libs similar to --ldflags but only with -l options (used libraries). --prefix prints the prefix (base directory) under which python can be found. --exec-prefix print the prefix used for executable program directories (such as bin, sbin, etc). --extension-suffix print suffix used for extension modules (including the _d modified for debug builds). --configdir prints the path to the configuration directory under which the Makefile, etc. can be found). --help print the usage message. EXAMPLES
To build the singe-file c program prog against the python library, use gcc $(python-config --cflags --ldflags) progr.cpp -o progr.cpp The same in a makefile: CFLAGS+=$(shell python-config --cflags) LDFLAGS+=$(shell python-config --ldflags) all: progr To build a dynamically loadable python module, use gcc $(python-config --cflags --ldflags) -shared -fPIC progr.cpp -o progr.so SEE ALSO
python (1) http://docs.python.org/extending/extending.html /usr/share/doc/python/faq/extending.html AUTHORS
This manual page was written by Johann Felix Soden <johfel@gmx.de> for the Debian project (and may be used by others). November 27, 2011 PYTHON-CONFIG(1)