Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Set Password Never Expire
Operating Systems Solaris Set Password Never Expire Post 302113221 by sysgate on Wednesday 4th of April 2007 08:04:49 AM
Old 04-04-2007
man passwd, search for aging.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

password will expire

login: TEST7 TEST7's Password: Your password will expire: Wed Feb 19 14:28:08 2003 How can I the same information become in a script (as example in the .profile)????????? My login starts with .profile. These File is a menue with 24 lines and the message " Your password ....." disappear to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Erwin Stocker
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Disable password expire in HP UNIX

Hi, How to disable passwd expire in HP UNIX by not using SAM ? In our system SAM have some strange bugs. However due to some reason, we cannot add that patch. B. Rgds Christina (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: christina fung
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Password expire

Hi, Is there any way to find out the UNIX user's password expire date?. It'll we helpful to inform the users to change the password before it get expires.(FYI - I am not having only admin previlege.) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sharif
1 Replies

4. Red Hat

set password not to expire

Hi All, Is this true on chage command? -M, MAX_DAYS Passing the number -1 as MAX_DAYS will remove checking a password's validity. Does this means password will not expire anymore? Thanks for any comment you may add. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
0 Replies

5. Solaris

Problem with password expire and sudo.

Hi, I have a small problem that I need to address regarding the password expiration for a number of different oracle accounts. Currently I have the MAXWEEKS set to 12 in the /etc/default/passwd file for all accounts. I also have sudo installed on the server and users access the oracle accounts... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sparcman
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

SFTP password expire error

Hi, I am using sftp in batch script for which all configuration for public/private keys are done and it works fine without asking a password. No issues till this point. Now I the problem I have is that if the password expires/someone changes the authentication keys at reote server then the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolwade
4 Replies

7. AIX

Password Expire Message

Does anyone know if the default message displayed when a users password has expired can be changed? I am just assuming the message below is the default one. If so please tell. Using username "justinxx". justinxx@160.23.12.44's password: WARNING: Your password has expired. You must... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: juredd1
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Set expire date for users

hello chage command is a useful command for set expire date (suspend user) : -E switch will update the “Account expires” value as shown below: chage -E "2009-05-31" username how can i write this shell script which can find present date and plus it with the value that user set, like today... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nimafire
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Set sudo access to expire on given day\date?

Scenario: Admin wants to grant user temporary access to sudo that will expire on an arbitrary date\day. Say, after 10 days, sudo rights disappear automatically. I'm sure there's a way to hack something together with a script or cron job, but I was wondering if anyone has a package \ tool \ other... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DustinT
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to set user password to never expire in UNIX servers

Hi, I have a requirement where in i need to write a shell script to set users password to never expire. I know the command which is used to perform the same .. which is chage command. But, could not figure out how to do the same in shell script. Could you please help me with the shell... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: suren424
3 Replies
pwconv(1M)						  System Administration Commands						pwconv(1M)

NAME
pwconv - installs and updates /etc/shadow with information from /etc/passwd SYNOPSIS
pwconv DESCRIPTION
The pwconv command creates and updates /etc/shadow with information from /etc/passwd. pwconv relies on a special value of 'x' in the password field of /etc/passwd. This value of 'x' indicates that the password for the user is already in /etc/shadow and should not be modified. If the /etc/shadow file does not exist, this command will create /etc/shadow with information from /etc/passwd. The command populates /etc/shadow with the user's login name, password, and password aging information. If password aging information does not exist in /etc/passwd for a given user, none will be added to /etc/shadow. However, the last changed information will always be updated. If the /etc/shadow file does exist, the following tasks will be performed: Entries that are in the /etc/passwd file and not in the /etc/shadow file will be added to the /etc/shadow file. Entries that are in the /etc/shadow file and not in the /etc/passwd file will be removed from /etc/shadow. Password attributes (for example, password and aging information) that exist in an /etc/passwd entry will be moved to the corre- sponding entry in /etc/shadow. The pwconv command can only be used by the super-user. FILES
/etc/opasswd /etc/oshadow /etc/passwd /etc/shadow ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
passwd(1), passmgmt(1M), usermod(1M), passwd(4), attributes(5) DIAGNOSTICS
pwconv exits with one of the following values: 0 SUCCESS. 1 Permission denied. 2 Invalid command syntax. 3 Unexpected failure. Conversion not done. 4 Unexpected failure. Password file(s) missing. 5 Password file(s) busy. Try again later. 6 Bad entry in /etc/shadow file. SunOS 5.10 9 Mar 1993 pwconv(1M)