Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to comment multiple lines in unix Post 302107546 by sumesh.abraham on Monday 19th of February 2007 05:59:19 AM
Old 02-19-2007
Hi Bali,

Try this out.

: << --COMMENTS BLOCK--
comments here
--COMMENTS BLOCK--

Cheers,
Sumesh
sumesh.abraham

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

comment jobs in cron for multiple accounts

Hi, We have several jobs scheduled in cron in AIX. Before every release we need to comment those jobs and uncomment those after the release is over. There are several accounts whose cron entries need to be commented. Can anyone provide me with a script which can put a '#' before each line in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shibajighosh
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

comment lines

Is there a command to put a comment (#) in a whole part of a shell script? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vero_81
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

using awk to comment out lines to the end of file

Hello, I have a file as follow a b c c d d e I would like to write a awk command to insert # from the first occurence of "c" to the end of the files. OUTPUT should be like this a b #c (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: phamp008
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trying to show lines in INI files until the comment character (#)

I have a working directory on a server with over 100 INI files. For the most part, they are configured the same way. Each line will contain 1 or none variables listed from the first character in the line such as VariableName=0. Unfortunately there are comments everywhere using the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hindesite
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can i comment out a section between two particular lines

I want to find out which files under /etc have the the following section: and then i would like to comment out the above section in all the files. Please help. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comment lines in FSTAB using perl

Hi All, I need to comment specific Two Lines in fstab & want to do using & also want to ensure that is done corretly. I am trying the below method. But its giving Search pattern not terminated. ################ b36376 67 % cat linux-fstab_testing | perl -i -wnl -e '/^('\Q... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ajaincv
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Comment lines in file without vi editor

Legends, Can you please help me in following. I need to comment lines from “/tmp/a.txt” from the line A to line B through the command prompt only. Please use variables not direct values like 2 or 5 It can be done with VI editor but it's not matches with my requirement (: 2,5 s/^/#/g). ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sdosanjh
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comment ( -- ) lines from 10 to 25 for every .sql file

Platform : RHEL 5.4 I have several .sql files in a directory. I want to comment lines 10 to 25 for all .sql files. How can I do this ? The symbol for comment in SQL is -- eg: -- select salary from emp where empname = 'URS' ; (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: omega3
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl one liner to wrap comment lines

Greetings fellow scripters. I find myself editing multiple files, sometimes with the same bits of information. My bash script, a changelog, and a plist file (OS X). Once I realized this, I thought why not script part of this process (and so it begins). In any case, I've solved several of the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: reid
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Remove Comment Lines From Script/Input File

Hello, I have a SAS code that predominantly has comments line and the real code like below and i want to remove ONLY THE COMMENTS from the code in the single line or spanned across multiple lines. /******************************************************************** *** This Is a Comment... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: arooonatr
4 Replies
NETTOE(6)							   Games Manual 							 NETTOE(6)

NAME
nettoe - Networked version of Tic Tac Toe for the console SYNOPSIS
nettoe [OPTIONS] DESCRIPTION
netToe is a console-based version of the classic game "Tic Tac Toe". It's playable against computer AI, a player on the same machine or with another player over the network. OPTIONS
-nc, --no-colors disable colors -nb, --no-beep disable beeps -h, --help display this help and exit -v, --version output version information and exit HOW TO PLAY
First decide who will host the game. (you or your friend/opponent) Now the one who is going to host the game must (do the following): 1. run nettoe (Doh) 2. choose the option 3 (Two players over network) from the Main Menu 3. choose the option 1 (Host the Game) from the Network Game Menu 4. type in his name or nickname (NO BLANK SPACES ALLOWED). 5. comunicate the IP address to the other player. ( hostname also works... if resolved, of course) ( I hope you know how to get your IP address...) 6. Just wait for the other player to connect to your host. Now for the other player (the one who is going to connect to the hosted game ): 1. run nettoe (really ?, Yaeh relly.) 2. choose the option 3 (Two players over network) from the Main Menu 3. choose the option 2 (Connect to a host) from the Network Game Menu 4. type your name or nickname (NO BLANK SPACES ALLOWED). 5. type in the IP address of the host or the hostname. IP address examples: 192.168.0.5, ::1 Hostname example : myfriend.hostname.com (must be a valid hostname) 6. Just wait for the game to start . Enjoy. And if you have any problem just let me know. NETWORK PORTS
netToe uses tcp-port 7501 for listening port of the server engine. Thus this port must be transportable across the network, possibly pass- ing routers in the path. For a local game this is of course mostly irrelevant. AVAILABILTY
The latest version of this program can be found at http://nettoe.sourceforge.net BUGS
See the BUGS file in the netToe source package for a list of known bugs. Report bugs to <ggdev@users.sourceforge.net> AUTHOR
netToe is written by Gabriele Giorgetti <ggdev@users.sourceforge.net> This manual page was initially written by Andras Bali <bali@debian.org>, for the Debian GNU/Linux system and rewritten by Gabriele Gior- getti <ggdev@users.sourceforge.net> to be distributed within the netToe source package. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2000,2001 Gabriele Giorgetti This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. JULY 22, 2001 NETTOE(6)