Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Auto indent in vi
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Auto indent in vi Post 23241 by Kelam_Magnus on Wednesday 19th of June 2002 10:36:08 AM
Old 06-19-2002
use :set tabstop=N

I know that you can use a setting called tabstop.

First, do a " :set all" to see the settings. Then do a " :set tabstop=N" where N is some number.

This will allow you to use the tab in edit mode to advance N spaces.

I know there is a way to set hot keys for certain actions or words but can't remember right now. I know it has been addressed before on this site.

There is a pamphlet and a book as well about VI from O'Reilly which are both very good.

Here is one link that may help as well.
http://www.thomer.com/vi/vi.html

Smilie

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

vim indent

I know this is not a unix question but I also know that many of you use vim editor every day. So hoping to get some help, here it goes: How can I change my vim config file so that the indentations while c programming take 4 spaces instead of 8? I want the change to apply any further uses of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Virtuosso
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[non-important] Indent here-docs?

I recently coded a typical ftp script looking like ftp -n $hostname << user $user $pass <commands..> quit ! I know the code fails when you try to indent it like: ftp $hostname << user $user $pass <commands..> quit ! Just for the sake of neat code, is there a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yongho
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Indent output of an UNIX command

Hi, How do I indent 4 spaces for standard UNIX commands like ls -ltr (or grep)? For example, I want ls -ltra to output as: <<spaces here>>-rw-r----- 1 a345696 rtkdevel 455 Dec 6 14:52 file1 <<spaces here>>-rw-r----- 1 a345696 rtkdevel 455 Dec 6 14:52 file2 <<spaces... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ssray23
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

vi auto indent whole file at once

Hi, I'm working on a big project and all the CPP and header files are in mess with respect to indentation. I would like to indent whole file(s) at once (like ctrl-shift-f in eclipse). Is there anybody who knows how to do that in vi/vim? thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SaTYR
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert Tabs / Indent text

Hi, i need replace the slash (/) with a newline (\n) and a tab (\t). With 'find -type f' in a folder i got this output: ./1999/01/file1 ./1999/01/file2 ./1999/02/file1 ./2000/04/file1 ./2000/04/file2 ./2000/04/file3 ./2000/04/file4 ./2000/06/file1 ./2000/06/file2 ./2000/06/file3... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tonda
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to indent the file lines using vi?

Every now and then I have to indent the lines in my script to 4 space characters. I generally do it line by line. Is there an automated command in vi using which I can indent some set of lines to desired number of space characters in one go. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: paragkalra
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Python indent - how do you do it?

A space, a tab? Just currious what, why, you indent in x way? Fwiw, I use vi, so kind'a currious how you vi folks approach indentation when writing code (eg python). Disclosure, I'm just learning python and have never seen a language use indentation so formally (I like it too:) ). I just... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sas
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parse excel with indent

hello everyone how to parse excel file with indents ? i was trying perl and there is Spreadsheet::ParseExcel::Format but i have no idea how to make it work docs says $format->{Indent} but it's not working also i was trying xls2csv and xlhtml but they don't care about indents at all :( i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tip78
1 Replies
Text::Tabs(3pm) 					 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					   Text::Tabs(3pm)

NAME
Text::Tabs - expand and unexpand tabs like unix expand(1) and unexpand(1) SYNOPSIS
use Text::Tabs; $tabstop = 4; # default = 8 @lines_without_tabs = expand(@lines_with_tabs); @lines_with_tabs = unexpand(@lines_without_tabs); DESCRIPTION
Text::Tabs does most of what the unix utilities expand(1) and unexpand(1) do. Given a line with tabs in it, "expand" replaces those tabs with the appropriate number of spaces. Given a line with or without tabs in it, "unexpand" adds tabs when it can save bytes by doing so, like the "unexpand -a" command. Unlike the old unix utilities, this module correctly accounts for any Unicode combining characters (such as diacriticals) that may occur in each line for both expansion and unexpansion. These are overstrike characters that do not increment the logical position. Make sure you have the appropriate Unicode settings enabled. EXPORTS
The following are exported: expand unexpand $tabstop The $tabstop variable controls how many column positions apart each tabstop is. The default is 8. Please note that "local($tabstop)" doesn't do the right thing and if you want to use "local" to override $tabstop, you need to use "local($Text::Tabs::tabstop)". EXAMPLE
#!perl # unexpand -a use Text::Tabs; while (<>) { print unexpand $_; } Instead of the shell's "expand" comand, use: perl -MText::Tabs -n -e 'print expand $_' Instead of the shell's "unexpand -a" command, use: perl -MText::Tabs -n -e 'print unexpand $_' SUBVERSION
This module comes in two flavors: one for modern perls (5.10 and above) and one for ancient obsolete perls. The version for modern perls has support for Unicode. The version for old perls does not. You can tell which version you have installed by looking at $Text::Tabs::SUBVERSION: it is "old" for obsolete perls and "modern" for current perls. This man page is for the version for modern perls and so that's probably what you've got. BUGS
Text::Tabs handles only tabs (" ") and combining characters ("/pM/"). It doesn't count backwards for backspaces (" "), omit other non- printing control characters ("/pC/"), or otherwise deal with any other zero-, half-, and full-width characters. LICENSE
Copyright (C) 1996-2002,2005,2006 David Muir Sharnoff. Copyright (C) 2005 Aristotle Pagaltzis Copyright (C) 2012 Google, Inc. This module may be modified, used, copied, and redistributed at your own risk. Publicly redistributed modified versions must use a different name. perl v5.18.2 2014-01-06 Text::Tabs(3pm)