How to recover root password on SuSE?


 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to recover root password on SuSE?
# 1  
How to recover root password on SuSE?

Hi,

We forgot the root password on SuSE version 10 server. Since I didn't have SuSE DVD, I started the server using Redhat. I updated /etc/shadow and removed the root password.

I then started the server and I still can't login using root. Any idea?

One more question, on Novell web site, I can't seem to download SuSE version 10. I only see the new version. Any idea how I can download the older version?

Thanks
Swami
# 2  
Why didn't you boot into single user mode and reset the root password? It's usually better/safer to use the appropriate tools than to edit /etc/shadow manually.
# 3  
Quote:
Originally Posted by samnyc
Hi,

We forgot the root password on SuSE version 10 server. Since I didn't have SuSE DVD, I started the server using Redhat. I updated /etc/shadow and removed the root password.

I then started the server and I still can't login using root. Any idea?
You should have edited the /etc/passwd file in your SuSE installation, removing the "x" next to root, from
Code:
root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash

to
Code:
root::0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash

Then reboot and try to login as root. WARNING! After successfully logging in to your system, make sure you re-add the "x" where it was BEFORE attempting to change root's password with passwd.

Quote:
One more question, on Novell web site, I can't seem to download SuSE version 10. I only see the new version. Any idea how I can download the older version?
See here and here.
Hope it helps.
# 4  
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudiC
Why didn't you boot into single user mode and reset the root password? It's usually better/safer to use the appropriate tools than to edit /etc/shadow manually.
How can I boot into single user mode, when I don't know the root password?

---------- Post updated at 03:56 PM ---------- Previous update was at 03:52 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by gacanepa
You should have edited the /etc/passwd file in your SuSE installation, removing the "x" next to root, from
Code:
root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash

to
Code:
root::0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash

Then reboot and try to login as root. WARNING! After successfully logging in to your system, make sure you re-add the "x" where it was BEFORE attempting to change root's password with passwd.


See here and here.
Hope it helps.
Thank you so much. I am going back to the data center this Friday, I will try your way and let you know.

Download of SuSE, I see the ISO image but when I click on it I get error message, can't find. I am ready to pay for this but I can't seem to find it.

Thanks
# 5  
I outlined the method I use for some coworkers recently. Hope this helps.

Code:
1. Download the ISO for a Linux Distro called FINNIX. I recommend downloading version 107, seems to be a bug in the latest version.
2. Boot the system with the Finnix ISO.
3. Once you're at the shell type fdisk -l and locate the root partiton (i.e. /dev/sda2).
4. Next mount the root partition:
    mount /dev/sda2 /mnt
    mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev
5. Then chroot the root partition:
    chroot /mnt/
6. Use the passwd command to reset the root password to whatever you want.
7. Finally type exit and reboot the server.

These 4 Users Gave Thanks to in2nix4life For This Post:
# 6  
Quote:
Originally Posted by in2nix4life
I outlined the method I use for some coworkers recently. Hope this helps.

Code:
1. Download the ISO for a Linux Distro called FINNIX. I recommend downloading version 107, seems to be a bug in the latest version.
2. Boot the system with the Finnix ISO.
3. Once you're at the shell type fdisk -l and locate the root partiton (i.e. /dev/sda2).
4. Next mount the root partition:
    mount /dev/sda2 /mnt
    mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev
5. Then chroot the root partition:
    chroot /mnt/
6. Use the passwd command to reset the root password to whatever you want.
7. Finally type exit and reboot the server.


Thank you so much. I will try this tomorrow.
# 7  
Quote:
Originally Posted by samnyc
How can I boot into single user mode, when I don't know the root password?
. . .
If you've got physical access to the machine, and boot it with the "s" option (or similar) you'll be in root single user mode without password.
This User Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:
 

Previous Thread | Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:
Advanced Search

Test Your Knowledge in Computers #826
Difficulty: Medium
JSON is a language-independent data format.
True or False?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

How recover the root password - Solaris 11?

Hello forum members, Please help me to recover the root password. I have had difficulties working with Solaris 11. The run-level equivalents single-user in Solaris 10, I can mount disk in one partition and edit files shadow/passwd. For example: {0} ok boot cdrom -s # mount... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Marcela Bueno
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

NCR UNIX system v/386 release 4 recover root password

we have NCR 3455 system from long time as attached all information for server (images) , so we need your help to assist us to get root password which lost it , really we appreciate your efforts if you can send us the procedure for resting the administrator (root) password which this server... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: univoip
0 Replies

3. Red Hat

How to recover the root password?

Hello forum members, Please help me to recover the root password. i can login with the user in redhat linux but i forget root password. so pleas help me to recover. advance thanks siva. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: workforsiva
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Recover root password

How can I recover root password :wall: 1) I am running Solaris 10 (X86) through VMware for practicing. 2) I was practicing root password recovery and deleted the password in /etc/shadow file. 3) Neither cant login the to the CLI nor Console 4) Selected the Soalris X86 failsafe in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijaykrishna
4 Replies

5. AIX

How to recover root password in AIX ?

Dears, We have Oracle Database installed on AIX Version 5.3 and we have to take action urgently but must by root user but unfortunately we lost password. How to recover root password? Please, be noted that I am Oracle DBA and do not have experience in dealing with AIX Systems. Please, advise... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohammedmostafa
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

root password on aix lost, how to recover

Hi guys, we have "forget" the root password for 1 of our AIX machines, how can we reset it? or recover it?? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prpkrk
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Need to recover 'root' password

Dear All, I have lost my data backup server's root password, just have a normal login username and password ..but i need to get back my root passwd....any1 can help me out plz :confused: (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: abir
7 Replies

8. Solaris

How to recover root password

How to recover root password in solaris, I forgot root password. thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: durgaprasadr13
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Recover root password

I need to recover root password on a test server (E 10k) running solaris 9. Can someone please tell me how to do this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nitinkgoud
1 Replies

Featured Tech Videos