Help Me..!

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Help Me..!
# 1  
Old 07-30-2009
Help Me..!

1.Will there be inode number located somewhere for deleted file?
2.Will the inode value get changed if a file is moved from one directory to another?

Last edited by karthi_g; 07-30-2009 at 03:12 PM..
# 2  
Old 07-30-2009
Once you delete a file in UNIX, it's gone. The inode is simply a reference to the data blocks where the file is stored in your storage.
Once you delete the file, there are no more any reference to the file, hence inode will not change.

Also, you may want to put a little more descriptive subject instead of Help me.. Smilie
We are here to get help!

# 3  
Old 07-30-2009
Thank u..... will the inode value change if a file is moved...

Last edited by karthi_g; 07-30-2009 at 03:26 PM..
# 4  
Old 07-30-2009

Per our forum rules, all threads must have a descriptive subject text. For example, do not post questions with subjects like "Help Me!", "Urgent!!" or "Doubt". Post subjects like "Execution Problems with Cron" or "Help with Backup Shell Script".

The reason for this is that nearly 95% of all visitors to this site come here because they are referred by a search engine. In order for future searches on your post (with answers) to work well, the subject field must be something useful and related to the problem!

In addition, current forum users who are kind enough to answer questions should be able to understand the essence of your query at first glance.

So, as a benefit and courtesy to current and future knowledge seekers, please be careful with your subject text. You might receive a forum infraction if you don't pay attention to this.

Thank you.

The UNIX and Linux Forums
# 5  
Old 07-30-2009
Originally Posted by karthi_g
Thank u..... will the inode value change if a file is moved...
If moved to somewhere on the same partition, no. If moved to a different partition, yes.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread
Login or Register to Ask a Question