Cannot boot cdrom -s


Login or Register to Reply

 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
# 1  
Cannot boot cdrom -s

Good Afternoon,

I'm trying to boot from cdrom so I:

Code:
bash-2.05# init 0
{1} ok boot cdrom -s

and I get:
Code:
Rebooting with command: boot cdrom -s
Boot Device: /pci@1e,600000/ide@d/cdrom@2,0:f File and args: -s
Can't read disk label.
Can't open disk label package
Evaluating:

Can't open boot device

Any ideas what's going on?
# 2  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellaman1977
Good Afternoon,

I'm trying to boot from cdrom so I:

Code:
bash-2.05# init 0
{1} ok boot cdrom -s

and I get:
Code:
Rebooting with command: boot cdrom -s
Boot Device: /pci@1e,600000/ide@d/cdrom@2,0:f File and args: -s
Can't read disk label.
Can't open disk label package
Evaluating:

Can't open boot device

Any ideas what's going on?
As noted in the message marked in red above... maybe the boot command is expecting you to provide the pathname of a file on the CD-ROM and not just the -s argument to be passed to it???

What operating system and hardware are you using?
This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:
# 3  
The command is correct for Solaris Sparc, and a CD with a Solaris boot block should work.
Is the CD okay? Cloned ones can miss the boot block.
Can also be a defective cdrom drive (does it work otherwise?).
Or a firmware bug: after a couple of boots need a reset at the Ok prompt (maybe first set auto-boot to false).
These 3 Users Gave Thanks to MadeInGermany For This Post:
# 4  
Firstly, you are not giving enough information here. As Don said, what hardware is it? What version of Solaris is it? Not all [platforms can run Solaris 11 and Some hardware platforms are particularly fussy what versions of Solaris 8 or 9 they will run. So you need to verify that hardware and O/S are compatible first.

Secondly, everything that MadeInGermany said.
This User Gave Thanks to hicksd8 For This Post:
# 5  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Cragun
As noted in the message marked in red above... maybe the boot command is expecting you to provide the pathname of a file on the CD-ROM and not just the -s argument to be passed to it???

What operating system and hardware are you using?
Sorry I left stuff out.. Solaris 9 on a Sun SunBlade 2500 Sparc.

--- Post updated at 08:42 AM ---

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadeInGermany
The command is correct for Solaris Sparc, and a CD with a Solaris boot block should work.
Is the CD okay? Cloned ones can miss the boot block.
Can also be a defective cdrom drive (does it work otherwise?).
Or a firmware bug: after a couple of boots need a reset at the Ok prompt (maybe first set auto-boot to false).
The CDs I've tried are originals. I've tried the Operating Environment and the "Software 1 of 2" CDs. I've tried about 5 CDs altogether. I've restored this machine before and the drive worked at that time.

Last edited by Stellaman1977; 01-18-2019 at 09:27 AM..
# 6  
Have you tried to reset it?
Code:
ok> setenv aut-boot? false
ok> reset

(Or power-cycle)
Code:
ok> boot cdrom -s

Finally, when everything works, it makes sense to enable auto-boot again
Code:
ok> setenv auto-boot? true

This User Gave Thanks to MadeInGermany For This Post:
# 7  
I get
Code:
setenv: command not found

though it does appear in
Code:
man page

Same situation for
Code:
boot

When I'm in the terminal window. Only after I
Code:
init 0

, am I able to even run
Code:
boot cdrom-s

Note: the hard drive I'm using is presumably an old backup image. It starts up but I don't know the status of it.
Also, to clarify, my goal here is to format one of the hard drives. I can use the Operating Environment ROM for this- correct?

Last edited by Stellaman1977; 01-18-2019 at 11:20 AM..
Login or Register to Reply

|
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:
Advanced Search

More UNIX and Linux Forum Topics You Might Find Helpful
can't boot cdrom
tirupathi
iam traying to install o/s in spark machine it showing error ok >boot cdrom is showing error short disk read failed to read superblock the file just loaded does not appear to excutable how to solve this can u help me... Solaris
6
Solaris
not able to boot from cdrom
kumarmani
Hi all am trying to boot the system from cdrom in single user mode , however when i am giving command boot cdrom -s i am getting below error Boot Device: /pci@1f,0/pci@1,1/ide@3/cdrom@2,0: f file and args: Can't read disk label Can't open disk label package can,t open boot device ...... Solaris
17
Solaris
Boot from cdrom
shabu
i am having a problem when trying to boot from cdrom. I received the below message system is not bootable, boot command is disabledfound how can i fix this. also what is the key combination on ordinary keyboard for STOP+A. Is it ctrl+break?... Solaris
2
Solaris
Can't boot from cdrom at ok prompt
Msororaji
I want to install Solaris 9 on SUN ULTRA 10. The cdrom is attached to an ide controller. The server is currently running Solaris 2.6 I insert Solaris cd 1 of 2 and at the ok prompt I type boot cdrom i get the error below Boot device: /pci@1f,0/pci@1,1/ide@3/cdrom@2,0:f file and args:...... Solaris
11
Solaris
cannot find boot device and won't boot off cdrom
kymberm
I'm running solaris 2.5.1. My main development server is DEAD, i can't even boot off the cdrom, it powers up, acts like it is starting the boot process but then says cannot find boot device. I've done the search here on this site and saw the other posts, but at the ok prompt it won't even let me...... Solaris
3
Solaris