Visit The New, Modern Unix Linux Community


AIX change ulimit for a user


 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users AIX change ulimit for a user
# 1  
AIX change ulimit for a user

I have seen two different ways for changing the ulimit for a user in aix. Which one is better?

Option 1

Code:
edit /etc/security/limits

oracle:
        fsize = -1
        data = -1
        stack = -1
        fsize_hard = -1
        nofiles = -1
        nofiles_hard = -1

Option 2

Code:
chuser rss=-1 oracle
chuser fsize=-1 oracle
chuser data=-1 oracle
chuser nofiles=-1 oracle
chuser stack=-1 oracle

# 2  
they both do exactly the same - there is no better or worse Smilie
btw - it is almost always a bad idea to increase the hard limits for a non-root user ... and to set nofiles to unlimited
These 3 Users Gave Thanks to zxmaus For This Post:
# 3  
Quote:
Originally Posted by zxmaus
they both do exactly the same - there is no better or worse Smilie
btw - it is almost always a bad idea to increase the hard limits for a non-root user ... and to set nofiles to unlimited
I only set nofiles = 64000. Do you think that is to high? I was just using the above as an example.
# 4  
Greetings and Happy New Year!

You can't judge like that what is good/bad...
Oracle is no ordinary user: many users access to files using oracle UID the same for processes etc
So it will depend on the size of your RDBMS or how many instances you have running on a server, how many processes are "oracle" etc the same for files and file size: no ordinary user would produce a file on a system the size of a full export (oracle)...
Why unlimited as value is not a good idea unless you know what you are doing AND what the others do:
Just an example: if a coder badly checked his new code that went in production ( or just a bug...) fall on a case you case have files opening but not closed correctly, worse though quite funny when it occurs: executing an infinite loop opening new processes...
You end with a freeze of the system where if lucky and an admin can connect will shutdown gracefully the box, more severe no one can connect and you have no other choice but to power off...
AIX at least lets you define on a specific user basis, may not be the case of all Unixes you see

Addendum:
Q: Do you have any issues? Giving a lot of resources will give you peace ( no errors or warning of running out of resources...) only that waste of resource will affect performance, if that is OK with you and production are happy, well why worry except for the case you do have an issue, it will be in proportion with what you gave

Last edited by vbe; 01-01-2020 at 05:29 AM.. Reason: Typos and addendum
This User Gave Thanks to vbe For This Post:
# 5  
The point is: set a real limit.
"Unlimted" means a process is allowed to consume all system resources. And a buggy/wild/looping process could do so.
This User Gave Thanks to MadeInGermany For This Post:
# 6  
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbe
Greetings and Happy New Year!

You can't judge like that what is good/bad...
Oracle is no ordinary user: many users access to files using oracle UID the same for processes etc
So it will depend on the size of your RDBMS or how many instances you have running on a server, how many processes are "oracle" etc the same for files and file size: no ordinary user would produce a file on a system the size of a full export (oracle)...
Why unlimited as value is not a good idea unless you know what you are doing AND what the others do:
Just an example: if a coder badly checked his new code that went in production ( or just a bug...) fall on a case you case have files opening but not closed correctly, worse though quite funny when it occurs: executing an infinite loop opening new processes...
You end with a freeze of the system where if lucky and an admin can connect will shutdown gracefully the box, more severe no one can connect and you have no other choice but to power off...
AIX at least lets you define on a specific user basis, may not be the case of all Unixes you see

Addendum:
Q: Do you have any issues? Giving a lot of resources will give you peace ( no errors or warning of running out of resources...) only that waste of resource will affect performance, if that is OK with you and production are happy, well why worry except for the case you do have an issue, it will be in proportion with what you gave

This part makes sense. Some users know what they are doing and some don't.

Why unlimited as value is not a good idea unless you know what you are doing AND what the others do:

They said they were having trouble creating the files they need to create.
# 7  
Quote:
Originally Posted by cokedude
I only set nofiles = 64000. Do you think that is to high? I was just using the above as an example.
64k is fine - its very unlikely that oracle will have this many files open at the same time anyways (which is what this tunable determines) as the Database itself is in just a number of large .dbf files. In addition they will have some text files and libraries open - but I doubt the user oracle even owns 64.000 files Smilie

Previous Thread | Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:
Advanced Search

Test Your Knowledge in Computers #506
Difficulty: Easy
A flowchart is a visual representation of an algorithm or process consisting of boxes or 'nodes' connected by directed edges.
True or False?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

What are the ideal ulimit settings for root user in AIX?

Hi, what are the ideal/best/recommended ulimit settings for a root user in AIX? I understand that it depends on our environment. But I would like to know...what are settings you guys use in your environment for best performance. default: fsize = 2097151 core = 2097151 ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: System Admin 77
8 Replies

2. Red Hat

setting ulimit for a user

The root user runs the following ulimit -a | grep open and gets a result of open files (-n) 8162 A user runs the same command and gets a result of open files (-n) 2500 How can you set the ulimit of the user to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jsanders
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

AIX User Change Log

Hello All, If a user in AIX is locked due to multiple failed login attempts. How do I find out the IP address from where failed attempts were made? regards, Roshni (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: RoshniMehta
0 Replies

4. AIX

AIX 6.1 Kernal Parameters ulimit

Hello, How can I setup the ulimit for memory permanent ulimit -m unlimited ulimit -a Output from the ulimit command should be similar to the following:time(seconds) unlimited file(blocks) unlimited data(kbytes) 2097152 stack(kbytes) 32768... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

AIX user ID and group ID change

Hello AIX gurus, I have a requirement where I have to change user ID of user "myuser" from 100 to 200 and also the group ID of "mygroup" from 2 to 3. Please note that "myuser" has "mygroup" as it's primary group. What steps do I need to follow for this and in what order? Also can you please... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sacguy08
2 Replies

6. HP-UX

change ulimit fsize permanantly

Hi, on HP-UX when I run command ulimit -a I get time(seconds) 4096 file(blocks) unlimited data(kbytes) 1048576 stack(kbytes) 8192 memory(kbytes) unlimited coredump(blocks) 4194303 nofiles(descriptors) 4096 Now I want to change file(blocks) ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: namita.mundada
2 Replies

7. AIX

Increase the filesize ulimit for a user?

Hi Guys, How do I increase the filesize ulimit for user jf01474, using the same value as of user oracle? Ex: /etc/security/limits default: fsize = 4194302 core = 2097151 cpu = -1 data = 262144 rss = 65536 stack = 65536 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sky_lark02
3 Replies

8. AIX

how to set the ulimit on AIX 5.2 version?

how to set the ulimit on AIX 5.2 version? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shilpi
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to make ulimit change permanent

ulimit -a gives the following output:$ulimit -a time(seconds) unlimited file(blocks) 2097152 data(kbytes) 131072 stack(kbytes) 16384 memory(kbytes) unlimited coredump(blocks) 32768 nofiles(descriptors) 400 vmemory(kbytes) 147456 Abot output... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nervous
3 Replies

10. AIX

Handling User Id Change in AIX

Hi, I have a query that suppose the first or last name of the user changes and we need to change its userid for aix too. Then in that case how do we handle this scenario??I guess we can't change the user id so we should re-create the new id and associate all the data of the old id. But I donno... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tintin@10
1 Replies

Featured Tech Videos