Tar Command


Login or Register for Dates, Times and to Reply

 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Tar Command
# 1  
Tar Command

hi folks,

how to using tar with exclude directory and compress it using tar.Z

i only know how to exclude dir only with this command below:

Code:
tar -cvf /varios/restore/test.tar -X excludefile.txt /jfma/test1/

how to compress it using 1 command?


Thanx


Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please use CODE tags as required by forum rules!

Last edited by RudiC; 07-31-2018 at 03:45 AM.. Reason: Added CODE tags.
# 2  
It always helps to consult the man pages (although I have to admit tar's is quite complex).
For compressing, just add the z option.
For excluding directories, add their names to the exclude file.
# 3  
Code:
tar cvfX /varios/restore/test.tar excludefile.txt /jfma/test1/
compress /varios/restore/test.tar

The f and X options require the following two arguments.

The exclude file must absolutely match e.g. must be /jfma/test1//path/to/file; it is less confusing to omit the trailing slash, i.e. have /jfma/test1 and the exclude file /jfma/test1/path/to/file
I am talking of a standard tar - GNU tar has some default magic to strip leading and trailing slashes.

All in one go, tar to stdout and pipe this to compress:
Code:
tar cvfX - excludefile.txt /jfma/test1 | compress > /varios/restore/test.tar.Z

This User Gave Thanks to MadeInGermany For This Post:
# 4  
Quote:
Originally Posted by only
hi folks,

how to using tar with exclude directory and compress it using tar.Z

i only know how to exclude dir only with this command below:

Code:
tar -cvf /varios/restore/test.tar -X excludefile.txt /jfma/test1/

how to compress it using 1 command?


Thanx

There are variations depending on your OS, which you haven't told us. What OS flavour and version are you using? There are lots to choose from, AIX, HPUX, Solaris, OEL., CentOS, Fedora, RedHat, Suse..........etc.

Some will accept the -z flag as part of the tar command, some will not and you have to pass the output to a compression program afterwards, but the default compression programs can vary depending on your OS too, e.g. compress, gzip, bzip, etc.

If none of the above posts have given you an answer, please post your OS and version and we can find the appropriate process for you.



Kind regards,
Robin
These 4 Users Gave Thanks to rbatte1 For This Post:
# 5  
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudiC
It always helps to consult the man pages (although I have to admit tar's is quite complex).
For compressing, just add the z option.
For excluding directories, add their names to the exclude file.
for the compressing, is it similiar with
Code:
tar -cvf - /jfma/test1 | compress -c > test.tar.Z

Regards

------ Post updated at 11:42 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbatte1
There are variations depending on your OS, which you haven't told us. What OS flavour and version are you using? There are lots to choose from, AIX, HPUX, Solaris, OEL., CentOS, Fedora, RedHat, Suse..........etc.

Some will accept the -z flag as part of the tar command, some will not and you have to pass the output to a compression program afterwards, but the default compression programs can vary depending on your OS too, e.g. compress, gzip, bzip, etc.

If none of the above posts have given you an answer, please post your OS and version and we can find the appropriate process for you.



Kind regards,
Robin

i am using AIX 6100-06-05-1115
# 6  
For AIX, MadeInGermany has the correct format because compress is the default tool available there and the -z for tar is not an option:-

  • Use a - for the output filename to send it to STDOUT
  • Pipe the STDOUT into STDIN for a compress redirected to the file you want to create.

If you want to exclude files/directories then you can still use the -X as in your original post and end up with:-
Code:
tar -cvf - -X excludefile.txt /jfma/test1/ | compress > /varios/restore/test.tar



Kind regards,
Robin

Last edited by rbatte1; 08-01-2018 at 08:40 AM.. Reason: Correctting the attribution to MadeInGermay from RudiC
This User Gave Thanks to rbatte1 For This Post:
# 7  
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbatte1
For AIX, MadeInGermany has the correct format because compress is the default tool available there and the -z for tar is not an option:-

  • Use a - for the output filename to send it to STDOUT
  • Pipe the STDOUT into STDIN for a compress redirected to the file you want to create.

If you want to exclude files/directories then you can still use the -X as in your original post and end up with:-
Code:
tar -cvf - -X excludefile.txt /jfma/test1/ | compress > /varios/restore/test.tar

Kind regards,
Robin

Thanx for your reply....it works Smilie
Login or Register for Dates, Times and to Reply

Previous Thread | Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:
Advanced Search

Test Your Knowledge in Computers #378
Difficulty: Medium
AIX was UNIX 03 compliant.
True or False?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX command to check if file name ends with .tar OR if the file is a tar file

Hello Team, Would you please help me with a UNIX command that would check if file is a tar file. if we dont have that , can you help me with UNIX command that would check if file ends with .tar Thanks in advance. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjaydubey2006
10 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tar Command Help

Is it possible to untar a file so it's size reduces while it uncompresses its contents. I have limited space on my mount point and was wondering if we can untar as a stream in other words the size of tarball reduces as it uncompresses the contents. Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumang24
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Single command - unzip files from a tar command

I have a tar file that contains multiple .Z files. Hence I need to issue a tar command followed by a gzip command to fully extract the files. How do I do it in a single command? What I'm doing now is tar xvf a.tar (this will output 1.Z and 2.Z) gzip -d *.Z (to extract 1.Z and 2.Z) (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ericlim
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar command to explore multiple layers of tar and tar.gz files

Hi all, I have a tar file and inside that tar file is a folder with additional tar.gz files. What I want to do is look inside the first tar file and then find the second tar file I'm looking for, look inside that tar.gz file to find a certain directory. I'm encountering issues by trying to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bashnewbee
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar command dont tar to original directory

HI, if I have a tarfile called pmapdata.tar that contains tar -tvf pmapdata.tar -rw-r--r-- 0/0 21 Oct 15 11:00 2009 /var/tmp/pmapdata/pmap4628.txt -rw-r--r-- 0/0 21 Oct 14 20:00 2009 /var/tmp/pmapdata/pmap23752.txt -rw-r--r-- 0/0 1625 Oct 13 20:00 2009... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: borderblaster
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

help on tar command

Hi, I am using the following DOS command to tar my .gz file from the command prompt C:\tar\bin>tar -cf test.tar D:\Coim\*.gz but this creates a tar file under the path C:\tar\bin\test.tar but i want the tar file to be created under D:\Coim\test.tar Is there any option in tar command... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Codesearcher
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f` only tar 1 file

Hi all, 4 files are returned when i issue 'find . -mtime -1 -type f -ls'. ./ora_475244.aud ./ora_671958.aud ./ora_934052.aud ./ora_934050.aud However, when I issued the below command: tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f`, the tar file only contains the 1st file -... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahSher
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar command

Hi all, Can anyone please say me what exactly a 'tar' command does? From what all I know, its not basically a compression tool. But I have seen many used it for compression purpose. If you have any links or any stuff which can help me better understand about 'tar', that will be greatly... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kripssmart
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tar command

I want to tar multiple folder from a environment but exclude 2 folders among them. How can I do that. Is there any exclude option in tar command. Please co-operate me. Thanking you, Chandrakant. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: get_chandrakant
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need Help with tar command

I'm new to the unix environment. I need to find out what parameters I need to use to save directory structure and the files underneath this directory AND how to restore this directory structure on another unix machine. Please Help :D (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmar
5 Replies

Featured Tech Videos