Samba Help

Tags
fstab, samba, smb.conf, smbclient, ubuntu

 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
# 8  
Old 07-25-2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Cragun
Maybe you'll want to fix the syntax error in your CIFS installation???
Don Cragun,

What? Please explain!

Cheers!

OMR/TBNK
# 9  
Old 07-26-2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBotNik
Corona688,

Ok, more research and I see they replaced samba with cifs, but it seems totally confusing to me, and all the mount cmds, I've tried have some syntax errors, so it's always showing the man help page, everytime I issue a cmd for it.

Cheers!

OMR/TBNK
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBotNik
Don Cragun,

What? Please explain!

Cheers!

OMR/TBNK
How can I explain?

You say you have syntax errors in your Samba configuration. You don't show us your Samba configuration files and you don't tell us what syntax errors you're getting. Therefore, all I can suggest is that you fix your syntax errors and try again.

If you would show us the exact errors that you are seeing and you would show us the files that are generating those errors, we might be able to help you further. Without seeing the actual errors you are receiving and the code/data that is producing those errors, there is absolutely no way that we can guess at what might be wrong!
# 10  
Old 08-03-2018
Command line only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Cragun
How can I explain?

You say you have syntax errors in your Samba configuration. You don't show us your Samba configuration files and you don't tell us what syntax errors you're getting. Therefore, all I can suggest is that you fix your syntax errors and try again.

If you would show us the exact errors that you are seeing and you would show us the files that are generating those errors, we might be able to help you further. Without seeing the actual errors you are receiving and the code/data that is producing those errors, there is absolutely no way that we can guess at what might be wrong!
Don Cragun,


No just issuing the command via cmd line/terminal and does not go! Cmd I'm using is:

Code:
mount -t cifs -o username=$user,password=$pwd //server/shares /media/myshare


According to the "man cifs" help pages this is correct syntax, but not working! Shows errors:
Code:
password specified twice, ignoring second
mount error(22): Invalid argument
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)

The specified "password" twice is because the password to this share is actually 'password'


Cheers!


OMR/TBNKI
# 11  
Old 08-03-2018
What be the contents of $user and $password?
# 12  
Old 08-03-2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudiC
What be the contents of $user and $password?
R,


$user=tech
$pwd-password


Cheers!


TBNK
# 13  
Old 08-03-2018
I appreciate that I'm coming to this thread very late (and I'm no expert in Windows) but I think you'd better tell us all what version of Windows you have. Different Windows versions have different cifs versions (e.g. 1, 2.x, or 3). You have said the Linux is Kubuntu and I don't know what version of cifs that has. However, my point is that if the cifs versions are mis-matched, then they won't talk to each other. You might be able to fix that by specifying a 'vers=' parameter on your command line.

Anybody know how to quiz a Kubuntu box for its cifs version?
# 14  
Old 08-03-2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by hicksd8
I appreciate that I'm coming to this thread very late (and I'm no expert in Windows) but I think you'd better tell us all what version of Windows you have. Different Windows versions have different cifs versions (e.g. 1, 2.x, or 3). You have said the Linux is Kubuntu and I don't know what version of cifs that has. However, my point is that if the cifs versions are mis-matched, then they won't talk to each other. You might be able to fix that by specifying a 'vers=' parameter on your command line.

Anybody know how to quiz a Kubuntu box for its cifs version?
hicksd8,


In my original post I did explain I'm on Kubuntu 16.04 trying to reach our Windows 10 shop server for file sharing of quotes, etc.


Cheers!


Nyle

|
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:
Advanced Search

More UNIX and Linux Forum Topics You Might Find Helpful
Help with Samba please! mgreen81 UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers 9 09-26-2014 10:32 AM
Samba moudmm AIX 2 09-23-2014 11:27 AM
samba issue: one samba share without password prompting and the others with. ideal2545 Solaris 0 01-12-2012 03:45 PM
SAMBA lawsongeek UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers 2 10-06-2011 11:15 AM
samba vinay_ks Solaris 0 05-11-2010 12:26 PM
samba treds UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers 0 04-12-2010 09:16 AM
samba user23 UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers 0 05-21-2008 02:08 PM
Samba Gegestic Solaris 1 05-30-2006 03:49 PM
SAMBA - need help BG_JrAdmin Solaris 3 04-08-2006 12:07 AM
Samba help net555 UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers 0 04-14-2005 08:05 AM
SAMBA - where? nEuRoMaNcEr Solaris 3 10-31-2003 05:29 AM
samba cubicle^dweller UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers 2 07-10-2003 03:11 AM
Why use Samba? champion UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers 3 10-21-2002 03:58 PM