How can I create a new swap location in ZFS?


Login or Register to Reply

 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
# 1  
How can I create a new swap location in ZFS?

I am running OpenSolaris v5.11

During installation, the installation created default ZFS filesystems, like the dump and swap locations.

I want to change the blocksize of the /dump and /swap locations and make them ZFS volumes.

The ZFS system is on a zpool called rpool

I was able to do a zfs destroy on /rpool/dump and then create another dump location with the proper options:
zfs create -b 131072 -V 1024m rpool/dump

I cannot destroy /rpool/swap though. It tells me that the ...dataset is busy. I did some investigating and found that I have to do a dumpadm but that doesn't work either:


>dumpadm -d swap
dumpadm: no swap devices could be configured as the dump device

>swap -l
swapfile dev swaplo blocks free
/dev/zvol/dsk/rpool/swap 182,1 8 16775160 16775160


How can I destroy the /rpool/swap directory and then create another swap directory and make it a volume with a particular blocksize? Do I rename the swap location to something else?

Thanx.
# 2  
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqa777
I am running OpenSolaris v5.11

During installation, the installation created default ZFS filesystems, like the dump and swap locations.
I want to change the blocksize of the /dump and /swap locations
Why ? What do you expect with changing the dump and swap blocksizes ?
Quote:
and make them ZFS volumes.
They are already ZFS volumes, not filesystems.
Quote:
I was able to do a zfs destroy on /rpool/dump and then create another dump location with the proper options:
zfs create -b 131072 -V 1024m rpool/dump
I bet it was initially created with the same options. What says
"zpool history -il | grep dump" ?
Quote:
I cannot destroy /rpool/swap though. It tells me that the ...dataset is busy. I did some investigating and found that I have to do a dumpadm
Your investigation failed, dumpadm has no relationship with the swap, especially when on ZFS.
Quote:
but that doesn't work either:


>dumpadm -d swap
dumpadm: no swap devices could be configured as the dump device

>swap -l
swapfile dev swaplo blocks free
/dev/zvol/dsk/rpool/swap 182,1 8 16775160 16775160


How can I destroy the /rpool/swap directory and then create another swap directory and make it a volume with a particular blocksize? Do I rename the swap location to something else?
You don't remove swap with the dumpadm command but with the swap one:
Code:
swap -d /dev/zvol/dsk/rpool/swap

# 3  
ZFS Swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlliagre
Why ? What do you expect with changing the dump and swap blocksizes ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqa777
I am running OpenSolaris v5.11

During installation, the installation created default ZFS filesystems, like the dump and swap locations.
I want to change the blocksize of the /dump and /swap locations
I want to change the volume size so I can recreate a customer environment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlliagre
I bet it was initially created with the same options. What says
"zpool history -il | grep dump" ?
zpool history -il | grep dump
2009-01-07.01:20:03 zfs create -b 131072 -V 8191m rpool/dump [user root on opensolaris:global]
2009-01-15.17:00:19 zfs destroy rpool/dump [user root on opensolaris:global]
2009-01-15.17:00:36 zfs create -b 131072 -V 1024m rpool/dump [user root on opensolaris:global]


The original dump location was a bit bigger than what I set it to.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jlliagre
Your investigation failed, dumpadm has no relationship with the swap, especially when on ZFS.
Sorry about my bad investigation, I was going by this info:

ZFS Troubleshooting Guide - Siwiki


Quote:
Originally Posted by jlliagre
You don't remove swap with the dumpadm command but with the swap one:
Code:
swap -d /dev/zvol/dsk/rpool/swap


Thanx, I'll try it.
# 4  
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlliagre
You don't remove swap with the dumpadm command but with the swap one:
Code:
swap -d /dev/zvol/dsk/rpool/swap

Jilliagre,

I tried the swap -d command above and it didn't work:

swap -d /dev/zvol/dsk/rpool/swap
/dev/zvol/dsk/rpool/swap was dump device --
invoking dumpadm(1M) -d swap to select new dump device
dumpadm: no swap devices are available


Do I have to set up another swap device before deleting the original one?
# 5  
You cannot use a swap device as a dump device on ZFS. Is "/dev/zvol/dsk/rpool/swap was dump device --" really a message you got from running the swap command ?

How much RAM is installed ? Reducing the dump device size from 8 to 1 GB might prevent a crash dump to complete.

If your swap is in use and no other swap area can pick the stored pages, you cannot remove a swap area.

What exactly are you trying to reproduce with your settings ? kernel panics ?
Login or Register to Reply

|
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:
Advanced Search

More UNIX and Linux Forum Topics You Might Find Helpful
How do I add extra ZFS swap in Solaris 11.3?
feroccimx
Hello, I have given 3 x 1 TB LUNs to add more swap space in a Solaris 11.3 OS -bash-4.4# swap -l swapfile dev swaplo blocks free /dev/zvol/dsk/rpool/swap 303,1 16 8388592 8388592 -bash-4.4# swap -s total: 84780376k bytes...... Solaris
5
Solaris
Trying to create ZFS slice on rpool
kebabbert
I have a 240GB disk as rpool. I have installed Solaris 11.3 to a partition which is 110GB. Now I have another 130GB which is unallocated. I want to use that additional space as a temporary folder to be shared between Solaris and Linux. The additional space had no /dev/dsk/c2t4... entry so I used...... Solaris
8
Solaris
Create files to introduce with ZFS
herbich1985
Hello, To learn ZFS, i try to create pool . and for that i want create 10 files with 512MB (because i dont have multiple disks and multiple controllers) ADMIT THAT THIS IS TEN HIGH-PERFORMANCE HARD DRIVES To get this 10 files,all of them have the same size : 512MB, I do these...... Solaris
9
Solaris
Firefox create new profile in non default location
cokedude
Could someone please explain how to setup a new firefox profile in non default location from the command line?... UNIX and Linux Applications
2
UNIX and Linux Applications
increase SWAP on ZFS file system
osmanux
Hi All, I am using this commands to dynamically increase ZFS swap space on Solaris my question is: 1- after i make these commands it will permanent or it will remove after restart 2- how to make it permanent # swap -l swapfile dev swaplo bloques libre /dev/zvol/dsk/rpool/swap...... Solaris
4
Solaris