Description of the option print0 in the command find (man page)

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Description of the option print0 in the command find (man page)
# 1  
Old 12-17-2017
Description of the option print0 in the command find (man page)

This is the description of the option -print0 fon the command find in the man page:
Quote:
-print0:
True; print the full file name on the standard output, followed by a null character (instead of the newline character that -print uses). This allows file names that contain newlines or other types of white space to be correctly interpreted by programs that process the find output. This option corresponds to the -0 option of xargs
What does the "True" in the first line of the description mean?

Last edited by puertas12; 12-17-2017 at 02:17 PM.. Reason: grammar
This User Gave Thanks to puertas12 For This Post:
# 2  
Old 12-17-2017
These kinds of options can be either true or false. False means 'skip this file' because it fails to meet the other options requirements like age, file type... true means it doesn't change any other true/false evaluation that might have occurred on the file and if it is the only option it will always print.
# 3  
Old 12-18-2017
'False' would skip a following condition (that follows immediately or after a -a).
Example:
Code:
... -print0 -exec echo hello {} \;

The 'hello' is always done.
# 4  
Old 12-18-2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by puertas12
This is the description of the option -print0 fon the command find in the man page:

What does the "True" in the first line of the description mean?
guess it simply means that the option is set.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix man command to find out month of the year?

how can i display month of the year i was born with using man command? thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: janetroop95
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Confusing find command option

Hi, I am a little bit confusing of using find command. Actually, I am planning to delete the files whatever the files are existing in the day before yesterday. So, I am writing the command like this. find . -name "*.txt" -ctime -2 { here I am confusing, if I will use +2 or +1 also I am... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nagraju.allam
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please suggest me a better option than FIND command

Hi All, Could you please help me in searching files in a better way satisfying the below conditions I want to search files in a path whose access time is more than 5min and less than 60 min and whose Byte size is greater than zero For this, i am using the below command, but it is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sparks
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with find command and prune option

Hi I have a directory say mydir and inside it there are many files and subdirectories and also a directory called lost+found owned by root user I want to print all files directories and subdirectorres from my directory using find command except lost+found If i do find . \( -name... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xiamin
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help me out with find command , -prune option

Hi , Kindly help me out .:) i want to find only the file t4 in directory t3. i am in dir t . the tree is as follows. if i give, find . o/p is . ./t4 ./t1 ./t1/t2 ./t1/t2/t3 ./t1/t2/t3/t4 ./t1/t2/t4 ./t1/t4 directories are like t/t1/t2/t3 and each directory has file t4. my... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhuvaneshlal
7 Replies

6. Solaris

man page question

What does the last change means in man page .. does that this man page has not been updated since 2003 or something else ? newfs-options The options are documented in the newfs man page. SunOS 5.10 Last change: 9 Dec 2003 1 System... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fugitive
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Creating a Man page for a command

Hi, I would like to develop a man page as the one we usually get when we execute man <command name>. This man page will be for a samll utility that i have written. If this is not possible then what are the available possibilites for creating such help. thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghu.amilineni
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Unable to get help from man page

Help, it seem that i am unable to get man help form solaris 10. I am running SunOS unknown 5.10 Generic_120012-14 i86pc i386 i86pc when ever i try to man a command what i get is "No manual entry" like the one below. # man grep No manual entry for grep. # man ls No manual entry for ls.... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ezsurf
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how do you create a man page?

i've never done this before. i created a script that I placed in /usr/bin, but want to create a man page for it. i'm clueless thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: theDirtiest
3 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question