The Lounge What is on Your Mind? They won't need so many sys admins anymore
# 15  
Old 10-07-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peasant
It is the dronification on the works.
They want people to obey, not to think.

Cloud ? It still needs sysadmin love.
Now you are not connecting physical servers and switches, but virtual ones.
It still requires knowledge how things work and how they should be configured.

Couple of sysadmins for thousands of servers ?
Yea, and N of insert made up drone positions.

As for HP, i'm working with HP gear for last 6 years on mostly all levels.
I cannot speak of the past (a bit too young...32), from what i've heard from 50+ folks HP was a great company when it innovated.
Shit started happening when instead of doing the work, they started buying other companies and playing money games.

HPUX is a great operating system standards compliant, but the hardware that follows today is just bad. Itanic sucks on so many levels (power, performance..)

Nobody can touch x86 - it is cheap, has the fastest CPU and does the job on the operating system you choose (solaris variants, linux varians, bsd etc...)

Who would choose Itanic,SPARC or POWER over Xeon for a new project ?
What advantages do you see in such selection ?
Think twice and ahead Smilie
I said with cloud they don't need so many I didn't say they don't need anymore sysadmins.

In HP when I first joined years back my KPI for unix server was originally 20 boxes per engineer then it jumped to 40 and they bumped it up again 80 boxes per engineer.

I spoke to the overseas team taking over the support from local they have 20 guys managing over 3000 physical servers. That's over 150 server per engineer almost double. And that may not even be their real KPI it may be even higher so how do you win against low cost?

This and all other layoffs is all about money costs pressures and who is able to give more bang for their $$$$$, your skillsets may be very good but you cannot win low cost and you could still find yourself getting cut.

The business guy he is in-charge not you and he doesn't know you or what you look like or your family money problems all he sees everyday is a number on a spreadsheet that he wants to cut because he is answerable to the people above him all the way to the ceo and then finally the shareholders who every year want to see more returns performance dividends.
# 16  
Old 10-10-2015
Sorry to hear this sparcguy. Hope you will keep us updated on anything you find. Always like to know how these things turn out.
# 17  
Old 11-25-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparcguy
Nice eye catching title huh Smilie

I got laid off along with 55000 others from HP worldwide have been expecting this for some time and now it's finally my turn. Most of the folks I know get laid off at around this age of 40+ so do take note.

Ideas that ran thru my head this last few weeks: bitcoin farming, it security, audit/compliance, drive a taxi.

Anybody with 5 minutes to spare got any good ideas?
This is a blessing. HP is a sucking black hole of mismanagement and incompetence.

Some of those laid off will find SA jobs elsewhere, and some will find their way into other fields.

If you can't find work where you're at, consider relocating...

As hard as this might be right now Brother, consider it a blessing in disguise.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Bash script won't run because hardware won't produce display

Can anyone offer any advice on how to modify the script below to work on a new system we have, that has no graphics capability? We admin the system through a serial RAS device. I've tried running the below script through the RAS and through an ssh -X session. It failed with something like "GTK... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yelirt5
3 Replies

2. Programming

Interactive Python 3.5+ sys.stdout.write() AND sys.stderr.write() bug?

(Apologies for any typos.) OSX 10.12.3 AND Windows 10. This is for the serious Python experts on at least 3.5.x and above... In script format sys.stdout.write() AND sys.stderr.write() seems to work correctly. Have I found a serious bug in the interactive sys.stdout.write() AND... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
2 Replies

3. Slackware

Anyone Using Slackware Anymore?

We used to use Slackware, but then moved all our servers to Ubuntu Linux. Does anyone use Slackware anymore? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

pkill won't work on firefox anymore

Can someone tell me why pkill won't work on firefox anymore? (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
11 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can't SSH as root anymore!

I've screwed something up in my sshd_config apparently, because I can't ssh with root anymore. I had disabled root login for security reasons, but then my ssh credentials with full administrative privelges stopped working. So then I reenabled root login (and reset ssh), but root now isn't... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cquarry
3 Replies

6. Solaris

Sun Fire won't boot anymore

Hi all - I have an issue with our (way old) single processor SunFire 280R, running Solaris 9.0.4. It won't boot even after multiple power cycles. There was a power outage last week end in the computer room, so this might have to do. In normal boot mode, the screen shows a single line : ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bostella
5 Replies

7. AIX

won't mount /usr...won't boot fully

Hello: NOOB here. I attempted to use smit mkcd. Failed on first attempt, not enough space. 2nd attempt tried to place iso on /usr, not enough space there. Cleanup ran for about 5 minutes after aborting. Now AIX won't boot. LCD display on 7029-6E3 says: 0517 MOUNT /USR. Attempted to boot from CD... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbird
11 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can't login as SU anymore - SU: NO SHELL

the root shell has been changed in the file /etc/passwd, basically pointing to an incorrect directory. So now every time we login as 'su' I get the message 'su: no shell' so we can't login as superuser. Is there an easy way to rectify this? please use step by step instructions/commands - I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: homechoice
4 Replies

9. Solaris

Any sys admins from uk?

Hello Guys, im new to this forum. Im from UK and ive recently completed my SCSA I & II and also got trained in Veritas Suite (Veritas Volume Manager and Veritas Clusters, Veritas NetBackup), SAN Configuration. I was trying to get a break as a junior sun solaris admin. I am applying for the jobs... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: megadeth
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question