Backup files recusive

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Backup files recusive
# 1  
Old 07-27-2015
Backup files recusive

Hi,

I have folder , backup , with sub-folders Jan , Fev , Mar , witch also have sub-folders

How can i recursivelly compress this files , in each folder grouped by month?
# 2  
Old 07-28-2015
Do you just want to compress, or would e.g. tar (or another archiver) come in handy?
# 3  
Old 07-28-2015
i use 7z due to high compress range that it had, i have study all solutions available and this is the best one,
i had try few solutions , but problems i encounter is , compress archives by month in local directory where they are, that is the tricky part for me .....
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Backup files cleanup

Hello, I've been able to keep a certain number of backup files with the find -mtime command, but is there a way to add the last 4 Sunday's or any other day? I checked the man page and forums, but couldn't find anything. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ramsez
8 Replies

2. AIX

How to backup a directory (sub-directories/files) files from one server on to other ?

Hello, Server A: /directory1/ Server B: /Backups/ i wanted to backup contents of /directory1 from "server A" on to "Server B" every 1 hour. If there is any change in (only new/differences) contents on serverA (directory1/) supposed to be backeup on next run. I did used rsync command to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: System Admin 77
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Backup Files

Hi, Using the shell script, how can I backup the files. /etc/password, /etc/group , /etc/shadow and more and needs a backup like /etc/password.12Mar12.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gsiva
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsync backup mode(--backup) Are there any options to remove backup folders on successful deployment?

Hi Everyone, we are running rsync with --backup mode, Are there any rsync options to remove backup folders on successful deployment? Thanks in adv. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: MVEERA
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help needed to backup files.

Hi guys , I m writing a script which will backup a particular folder and its content to a different location. this script needs to be run every weekend. But my problem is how would i apply logic such that the previous backup folder is only deleted if and only if the current backup is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pinga123
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Backup files

Greetings. I've got a little bit of problem with writing a script. I'd like to write a script that creates backup files (of your computer) once a week, and on the other days of the week it just updates it. Thanks in advance i hope you can help: buddhist p.s.: this would help a lot, because... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: buddhist
1 Replies

7. HP-UX

Backup Files Failed

I am having difficulty in doing ontape -s -L 0. At first it was giving a message Archive failed - function to write to tape failed code -l errno 5. After about 24 hours it says "could not write archive tape. What do I do? Can anyone please advise on what the problem is and what I can do? ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gillonye
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Backup The Files In Unix

hi punters, i have a small requirement,i would need to code some script in AIX. please join me on yahoo anytime hrsuprith@yahoo.co.in hrsuprith@gmail.com (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: suprithhr
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Recusive Directory Permissions with Spaces

Ok, I think it would be wise to begin with the scenario. I've got a server that has a template directory structure containing 7 folders. Some folders will need permissions set one way, and other set another way. That's the easy part using: chmod -R 755 * ;This used first to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Junk_box9
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Backup my files to DAT

hi guys, im using tru64 unix and i want to put my files on tapes. i have already a hp DAT storage, do you have any admin guides for backup/restore procedures for these? tnx (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jefferson
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question